Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Medical fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted 174285

I recently failed my medical screening to join the reserves as a result of experiencing swimmers ear earlier this year. It was a one off problem which cleared after 48 hours with the prescribed ear medicine. I am otherwise in good physical condition.

I had been considering making an application to join the Reserves for 4 years now, I was awaiting the right moment to apply so to fail at the first hurdle is really devastating and unexpected.

That said, I read on here that you would fail the medical screening by having mild eczema, so with hindsight the result doesn’t surprise me, although I never anticipated it. It makes complete sense and I will not appeal - I would not want somebody with the potential for reduced hearing on my team in a critical situation.

I’m 30 years old, so I will review my ear condition over the next 3-5 years and make a decision whether it would be appropriate to apply again in the future.

I have been reading this forum in background for a couple of years, it has provided me with some really useful information and helped me confirm my decision to apply. I felt that sharing my experience might help others on considering making an application.

You may be able to re apply , once 12 month period is approaching ask to have a chat with unit

EAR, NOSE AND THROAT PRE-ENTRY ANNEX B Introduction 1. Disorders of the ear nose and throat are assessed and recorded under the P factor. Entries under HH are records of auditory acuity only. Consideration must be given as to whether a condition gives rise to a degree of incapacity that is sufficient to impair an individual’s ability to perform the normal tasks expected of the individual, either currently or in the future; whether the condition may be exacerbated by exposure to the service environment, or whether the condition is likely to give rise to a continuing need for medical supervision or treatment. In cases of doubt, an opinion should be sought from the single-Service Occupational Physician responsible for the selection of recruits who may request advice from a Service consultant otorhinolaryngologist (ORL). Ears, nose and throat – general 2. Candidates with the following conditions will normally be graded P8: a. Existing or past history of malignant disease. b. Wegener’s granulomatosis1. c. Narrowing of the airway sufficient to cause limited exercise tolerance. d. Persistent facial nerve palsy2. Ears 3. Deformity of the external ear. Candidates with deformity of the external ear sufficient to interfere with the wearing of normal hearing protection or use of communication headsets are normally graded P8. 4. Otitis Externa. Candidates with recurrent or persistent otitis externa are graded P8. 5. Acute Otitis Media (AOM). Candidates with recurrent AOM are normally graded P8. However, candidates may be graded P2 provided the last episode was not less than one year 3 ago, the tympanic membrane (TM) has healed, the hearing acuity is within entry limits and tympanometry is normal. Following an isolated episode of AOM, a candidate may be graded P2 as soon as the TM and hearing have returned to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.