Medical enquiry

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by AshWright1982, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    I broke my leg over four years ago and had some metalwork put in. I really want to join the army but know this is a bar to entry so i have had an operation and had it all removed.(april 2012).
    I am up and running/training hard on it with no problems.
    I know its a bit too soon to apply just yet, but was just wondering if anyone has any idea how long after an op you have to wait before you can apply.
    I know it used to say 12 months on the army website but it doesnt anymore so wondered if that has changed? Cant seem to get a straight answer from the careers office cos they wont answer medical questions!
    Im nearly 30 now and really dont want to have to wait another year if i dont have to.

Can someone please give me some advice on the matter if you can

2. If you broke it four years ago you "should" be fine.

You should be able to run pain free "bit obvious". You may have to do a MIAC on your initial medical where you will be assessed by a physio.

A lot of the recruits I see with previous fractures come in on initial medicals saying they run pain free, then the next day after their first fitness test(RMT/AFA) or they may even get onto doing endurance zones, report sick the next day and admit that they "did not realise PT was going to be that hard".

Be honest with yourself about the pain free part because a lot of recruits soon find themselves UFAS and sent home for just this thing.
  3. Check out the thread dedicated to medical matters on joining up.
    then post your question there if you can't find an answer. Searching for JSP 346 will also help you, try google if you can't find it on this site.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.