Medical Discharge??

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Trinners, Apr 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Basically I buggered up my knee on exercise and then at Westbury while doing Main Board (TA). I ended up needing surgery to repair all the damage but complications after the operation led to a near fatal DVT developing in the same leg. I basically had to sit on my backside for 9 months until I had gone through the course of warfarin and let the leg heal. I started back running recently but the leg keeps breaking down on me......severe cramping in the calf area, horrendous shin splits, leg spasms, red hot poker pain in the lower half of the leg etc. I'm barely able to run 1.5miles now and at that its taking about 19 - 21 minutes. This time last year I was doing it in 7.53. Now I recently spoke to the DS staff who have said that I might be better off packing it in as I'm trying to hard to get back to the old level of fitness and risk damaging the leg permanently. My Training Major openly voiced his opinion that I should get a medical discharge which he said would cover me for a pension? Now I'm not sure a) if I want to pack it in and b) didn't think TA were entitled to a pension. Could someone clarify what would happen if I took the option of a medical discharge?

    Many Thanks

  2. What's that?

    No-one dies from a DVT. Well I've never heard of it, anyway.

    It can break off and form a fatal pulmonary embolus, but any DVT can do that. By that logic, *all* DVTs are "near fatal", yet few rarely are in practice.

    Sorry. This reply doesn't answer your question, but it does assuage my pique and brings your question back to the top of the forum.

  3. TA do not have any pension entitlement and wont anytime soon.

    Its really dependant on you and what you want to do. if you wish to take a break from the TA, speak to your OC/PSAO and sort out a futher leave of absence to give you time to recover. This is all dependant on you being a 'good egg' and the unit wishing to keep you on.

    To put it bluntly, if your a chopper, they will not be willing to invest the extra effort in you and will 'bin' you eventually.

    However, make sure you read up on TA reg's before you make a decision, as the DS answer is contained in publications, not on ARRSE.

    Hope that helps...
  4. Someone is confusing retirement pensions and compensation for injury. You may well be entitled to compensation, whether discharged or not, and this is the relevant link on the Veterans Agency site

    My advice is under no circumstances to leave voluntarily. Make it quite clear in writing to your unit that you remain injured as a result of training and ensure that you obtain copies of all the paperwork relating to your accident including the 298(s) that should have been completed at the time. You should have been sent to an MO / army medical board to ascertain your fitness to train. A medical board is also required should the army wish to medically discharge you.

    In these circumstance a compulsory discharge is a medical decision not a CoC one.

    At least we agree on something.
  5. If the injury happened after April 2005 and you were in uniform at the time it happened then you come under the AFCS (armed forces compensation scheme) which treats regs and vols nearly the same....! Go for a med discharge - take the money (usually a lump sum payment and a pension and this may entitle you to other things like motability etc)....

    You were in service - reap the benefits (pun intended (beats some somali or sudanese asylum seeker getting them)).

    PM me if you need a little more info
  6. if it's any help. When i b''gered my back the first question asked was "how long you going to be off work for as we'll have to keep paying you?" granted i could of said months and had some extra £££ (slightly fraudulant).
  7. NOOOOOO! Thats not how this works, im supposed to write utter crap (its ARRSE, thats what its for), you then disagree and correct my incoherrent ramblings.

  8. In my day subalterns were not often seen and only heard when doing the decent thing.
  9. I've been diagnosed with Post Thrombosis Syndrome so thats the end of the TA for me. This is the 4th Specialist I've been too (I'd not given up hope of a return to duties) but it seems I may have to go back on warfarin and may need to see a cardiovascular surgeon about the blood pressure in the leg. So I'm waiting on paperwork to reach DCU so I can get a medical board appointment to confirm the diagnosis. Has anyone an idea of how long this will take? I called them the other day to see if my records had made it to them and I'm still not on the system even though I know all my notes were sent off to them before Christmas.
  10. The APHCS is not funded to treat TA/reserve soldiers (yes I know they do). Your records may have been 'dropped' recently.