Medical discharge

Hello,

Newbie here, I’m wanting some advice on my pension and payouts as I am due to be medically discharged from the army. I joined in Feb 2007 and have just sat the Med Board where I have been told times up due to my depression and anxiety. Could you guys help me out with how the lump sum and later payments work. I am worried as I heard some people don’t get nothing and it’s up to Glasgow what Tier you go into or even if you do.

Many thanks

Hello,

Newbie here, I’m wanting some advice on my pension and payouts as I am due to be medically discharged from the army. I joined in Feb 2007 and have just sat the Med Board where I have been told times up due to my depression and anxiety. Could you guys help me out with how the lump sum and later payments work. I am worried as I heard some people don’t get nothing and it’s up to Glasgow what Tier you go into or even if you do.

Many thanks
@Forces Pension Society one for you I think.

Hello,

Many thanks
Ok in brief, On the assumption that your depression and anxiety was caused by service related reasons then you should be eligible for an award under AFCS.

There are tariff levels 1-15 and you are paid a lump sum according to the descriptor for that particular tariff level. If the award made is between 1-11 then a GIP will also be payable (tax free monthly payment) and is a percentage of your yearly wage upon leaving. This is split into 4 bands- 30%/50%/75%/100%.

There are examples in the following link: Armed forces compensation: what you need to know - GOV.UK.

As far as I am aware it's up to Veterans UK on the basis of medical advice what award is made!

One word of caution though, don't expect a GIP and preserved pension, any pension payable is abated to the value of the GIP. I know one is compensation and one is a pension however it is a long running issue!

Hello,

Many thanks
On the occupational pension side, it depends what Tier they put your condition in.

Tier 1 = a one-off lump sum worth 1/8 of pensionable pay for each year of service - so in your case 1.25 yrs pensionable pay. Your pension will be deferred until age 65 for the AFPS 05 part and your state pension age for the AFPS 15 part.

Tier 2 and 3 = pensions straight away and index linked straight away

You need to know your Tier before you can do the sums, I'm afraid.

Thanks for all the fast and helpful replies guys.

I receive a yearly statement from Veterans Uk, 2016 it was valued at 31k with end date being 2031. In other boxers it gives me figures if I was to have left in 2016 and a lump
SUm value for year 2053

Sorry if I’m thick and confusing people

I receive a yearly statement from Veterans Uk, 2016 it was valued at 31k with end date being 2031. In other boxers it gives me figures if I was to have left in 2016 and a lump
SUm value for year 2053

If you're getting an annual statement written on Boxers it must be pants :)

SUm value for year 2053

Contact me by Personal Message - I will see if I can decode for you.

Something to think about once you have got the important stuff out of the way, if you receive payments under the WPS or GIP then take a knee:

1. Claim a veterans Oyster card, it will cost you £10 and provide you with free transport throughout London, it's worth £1000's. It's also worth checking local to where you live as different operators have their own rules.
2. Disabled Railcard (WPS at 80% or GIP at level 8 or higher)
3. As a WPS or GIP claimant you are exempt from NHS prescription charges for your accepted disablement. An up-to-date prescription-exemption certificate can be issued if required or tick the relevant box and write your NI number.
4. You should receive priority secondary care for service related injuries. Make sure when speaking to your civvie GP you get this on your records, unfortunately, in my experience it's a game of consent reminding.
5. This is a personal opinion and subjective depending on your clinical condition. Upon leaving make sure you keep in touch with your muckers, attend functions if possible and become part of the veteran community. Stick an Avatar up and when you get a feel for the site you will find that you will be able to help others which in itself can be rewarding.
6.Best of luck

I am not going to enter into WPS vs AFCS. For me it is simply which applies. Conditions originating before 6April 2005 are dealt with under the WPS and those on or after that date are dealt with under AFCS. But best of luck is something I would echo.

Hi all. I am being medically discharged as a tier one. I have nearly 5 years on the 05 scheme with a break in service of 2 years followed by 2.9 years on the 15 scheme. I would like to know, after reading AFPS05 and 15. Will I receive a tier one payment equivalent to a minimum of 6 months pay for each scheme that I was a part of under accrued rights. Had a phone call from Glasgow saying that my 15 pay out is 8k odd and my 05 rights were a deferred pension only. If I were to go by what the AFPS docs read then I would say that this is wrong? Any help is grateful...

I had a delightful afternoon this week studying the transitional measures for people with a break in service of less than 5 years - boy, they don't make things easy --- but AFPS 05 + AFPS 15 is easier than the AFPS 75 alternative.

Basically, in your case it would be:

From AFPS 05 - 1/8 x final pensionable pay x 4.xxxx (you said nearly 5 yrs so you need to work out what percentage of a full year the nearly was);

PLUS

From AFPS 15 - 1/8 x final pensionable pay x 2. xxxx (not sure if the .9 you mention is 9 months or really .9 of a year)

And, yes, your AFPS 05 pension remains preserved and your AFPS 15 pension is deferred.

I had a delightful afternoon this week studying the transitional measures for people with a break in service of less than 5 years - boy, they don't make things easy --- but AFPS 05 + AFPS 15 is easier than the AFPS 75 alternative.

Basically, in your case it would be:

From AFPS 05 - 1/8 x final pensionable pay x 4.xxxx (you said nearly 5 yrs so you need to work out what percentage of a full year the nearly was);

PLUS

From AFPS 15 - 1/8 x final pensionable pay x 2. xxxx (not sure if the .9 you mention is 9 months or really .9 of a year)

And, yes, your AFPS 05 pension remains preserved and your AFPS 15 pension is deferred.
Yes it is an interesting topic to try and hash out :)

So to clarify:

AFPS15 tier 1 award = 24,889(ish) /8 x 2.774 = 8,663 (as this is below the 6 month salary threshold it would be rounded up to 12,444 (salary pcm: 2074 x 6) and a deferred pension.(2 years 9 months service)

PLUS

AFPS05 tier 1 award = 24'889(ish) / 8 x 4.581 = 14,257 and a preserved pension(4 years 7 months service)

No. Forget the 6 months minimum - the rules say it doesn't apply in these cases.

Basically, the lump sum would not exceed what it would have been if all service had been in one scheme. (So it will not exceed (Total service as per you post is 2.774 yrs +4.581 yrs = 7.355) 7.355 x 24,889 divided by 8)