Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Hammy559, Jun 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am getting medically discharged from the Army soon and I want to know how much my pension will be. Can anyone help??
  2. Welcome to the site, Hammy, and I am sorry that circumstances mean that you are to be MD'd.

If you search the site, you will find a lot of contributions that will give you some idea of the complexity of the issue. Look at the "Charity & Welfare" forum in particular.

In short, you will not receive an accurate answer from anyone on this site because it is such a complicated subject.

Good Luck!

3. cheers mate will do
  4. COPY and PASTE of Old post [Link to original thread]

I was Medically Discharged at the 21 year point and apart from the lump sum, my pension was bigger than if I'd served until my 22 year point. My Lump sum was equivelant to the lowest (non commutated) amount that I would have got for doing 22 years £33.5k plus another smaller lump sum for my percentage of disability £7k.

The text below is from an earlier post of mine. There is allot of information so I'd advise that you Print Off the Text and then after reading it open the web links and put text to the figures.

If my Med Discharge is anything to go by, from my first visit to the Permanent Standing Medical Board (PSMB) until my discharge date was 11 months. All of which was spent on Sick Leave and in receipt of Full Pay.

My first Pension payment was in my bank withing 10 days of my discharge date and my Lump sum was within 5 days of my discharge date.

My SPVA Percentage award was also made within a few days of discharge and is paid every 4 weeks thereafter.

You'll get 12 Service Invaliding Pension payments per year (normally tax free).
    And you'll get 13 SPVA percentage payments per year, all being that your husband gets an percentage award greater than 20% that is. A friend of mine was MD'ed after 21 years with knackered knees and he got a 50% award.

Any problems PM me and I'll try and make it clearer.

Questions are always beeing asked about medical discharge, invaliding and associated pensions. Having been through the process myself only recently, I thought that a simple breakdown of some of the figures might be of help to others.

It is only intended as a Good-Will guide and professional help should always be sought from your RAO's office. These figures are out of date but are good enough to use as an example.

These figures are from the MOD web site and are for the year 2008-2009.

This information used to be on the Army web site, but as that media is now only really aimed at recruitment, the power's-that-be probably didn't want little Johnny's mum reading about disablement.

Tri-Service Pension Rates 2008-2009

Page 3 is for Officers Service Invaliding Pension's (SIP)
    Page 5 is for Officers Service Attributable Paension's (SAP)
    Page 6 is for Officer's Attributable Gratuity

Page 7 is for OR's Standard rates of Service Pension
    Page 9 is for OR's Service Invaliding Pension's (SIP)
    Page 10 is for OR's Service Attributable Pension's (SAP)
    Page 11 is for OR's Attributable Gratuity

1) These are the rates for AFPS 75 and they are for the year 2008-2009.

2) An Attributable Gratuity is only paid for the Primary Invaliding Condition (PIC). That means that if you are Invalided and have Two injuries/conditions and one is, say 20% and the other is say, 50%, you will probaly only get the Attributable Gratuity at the 50% rate AND NOT 70%

3) If your SPVA Assessment percentage award is low then you will recieve a SIP, This inturn will normally be made Exempt of UK Income TAX. However, if your percentage of disability is high, and the SAP is higher than the SIP, Then you will be awarded a SAP, also usually Exempt of UK Income Tax. But Not Both.

4) So, if you have served for longer than 5 years and are on Pension 75, a rough guestimate of the minimum amount that you will receive is the amount for your RANK and your year's Served,

e.g. Page 9 - SIP'S: An OR-6 (Sgt) with 20 years service would get a SIP of £9926 - This is the Minimum amount that you might get. The rest is dependant on the percentage of disability that you are awarded by the SPVA.

So if, after SPVA assessment, you were to get a total percentage award of 70%, 50% for one injury/illness and 20% for another, you would get an Attributable Gratuity (page 11) of £7670 (at the 50% rate for the PIC, note 2).

Any further War Pension Award would be dependant on that level of Disability that is awarded by the SPVA. See SPVA Leaflet 9 So where our OR-6 (Sgt) has two invaliding conditions that total 70%, a 70% award from the SPVA would equate to £101.57 per week in ADDITION to the SIP.

5) This would give a Sgt with 20 years service, and a 70% SPVA Disability percentage, an annual pension of:

£101.57 x 52 weeks = £5281.64 (for the 70% percentage)
    a SIP of £9926
    Giving a Total of: £15,207.64 per year or £1,267.30 per month

In addition to this, other allowances can also be claimed for Mobility, Lowered Standard of Occupation and for Care (see SPVA leaflet 9).

Like I also said on Another Thread, phone the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and request a Claim Pack for Disability Living Allowance (DLA). This can be claimed whilst you are still serving and it IS NOT means tested and it has no affect on your initial award from the SPVA. How to claim DLA Information How to claim DLA Information HERE

Like I said at the begining, this interpretation of the process is from my own experiences over the last year, I am not an expert on pensions and I don't Proclaim to be. It is purely offered in Good Will as I know how frustrating it is to not know what your financial future holds.

If it's still only as clear as mud, speak to your RAO or RAOWO first.
  5. Heard-it-all-before

absolutely spot on post. Am in the process of going through it all myself and have been reading the extensive library of pamphlets that you can find out there.... There is a lot of conflicting information which you have summed up nicely.

Only thing I would day that you have missed out, is that most people from within the system are encouraging people to appeal their initial award from the SPVA as there is currently a very high percentage of people who are having their awards increased. I believe it may be 80% and above..... I think a lot of that has to do with it still being a relatively new and unproved system not helped by the fact that the Govt admitted they had mucked it up and increased a lot of the amounts for awards (in particular multiple injuries)...

Anyway, you don't lose anything by appealing on initial award. Liaising with RBL lawyers at this point is normally recommended.

I have yet to receive any of this, as am expecting my discharge date from Glasgow in weeks few......
  6. Hi Az,

I was awarded under pension 75 and am currently in the process of appealing my percentage award with the SPVA. Although I already know that they aren't giving me any upgrade and at present I'm just waiting for them to reply to me with their reasons why.

It should be interesting as both my Consultants reports and opions are completly different to that of their GP's. So as Her indoors is a Legal Executive and works for a law firm that deal in industrial tribunals and along with the assistance of the other big guns that are backing me up and the expertise and experience of the Royal British Legion, it should all make for an interesting Tribunal Hearing - Bring it on I say.....!