Medical Discharge Sports Injury

I have been told that I am potentially looking at a Medical Discharge after a sporting injury.
The condition is basically more from the training side of things more than actual competitive matches.
It has been ongoing for sometime and I have now been told I will have an occupational therapist appointment to decide on whether it will be a medical discharge or not.
My question is, are sports injuries classed as attributable to service?
I am 16 years in and will be stuck financially if I do get MD'd.
Thanks

If the sport was authorised then it’s attributable. For example, playing for the regimental rugby team - yes, playing rugby for the local side on a Sunday - no.

Other sports are available.

Assuming that the rules are tri-Service then yes it should be.

One of my guys started blacking out after taking a knock to the head during some rugby training, this sadly is not conducive to a life at sea on a submarine and so he was medically discharged.

Initially they disputed that it was as result of the head injury, but we involved the RBL (the guy had a civvy lawyer on standby). As his Divisional Officer I wrote the executive summary that was submitted to the Armed Forces Compensation body, which when combined with a statement from the Surgeon Commander dealing with his case resulted in an award being made.

If we hadn’t have fought it though they would’ve happily let him leave with no recompense for his loss of career.

Cheers dingerr. The sport was authorised but I think it will be put more down to the training for it rather than the actual matches themselves.

Cheers dingerr. The sport was authorised but I think it will be put more down to the training for it rather than the actual matches themselves.
Were you training in your own time?

I'll add; my guy was training in his own time, i.e. in the evening not during the working day, but it was training for the establishment squad and there was a PTI taking the training. Expect them to try and wriggle out of it.
The PTI would be the reason it would be classed as attributable to service.

I have trained a lot with a PTI friend of mine but vast majority was training on my own and even when I trained with him it wasnt a structured PT session.
Im guessing I may be facing an uphill battle.

How do you know it’s more from the training side than the actually matches?

Put in a claim for AFCS stating the matches as the cause. Tell the occupational health assessor that it’s down to Army organised sport.

Have they even tried rehabilitation?

I have been told that I am potentially looking at a Medical Discharge after a sporting injury.
The condition is basically more from the training side of things more than actual competitive matches.
It has been ongoing for sometime and I have now been told I will have an occupational therapist appointment to decide on whether it will be a medical discharge or not.
My question is, are sports injuries classed as attributable to service?
I am 16 years in and will be stuck financially if I do get MD'd.
Thanks
As Pompey said, go and see the RBL. They will explain the AFCS process and represent you (free) in any appeals.