I was discharged in 1999 with PTSD and receive a War Pension of 50% after serving 20 years.

Currently receive Disability Living Allowance at Low rate mobility and middle rate Care and Incapacity benefit.

I am deeply embarassed by this but unfortunately i genuinely need this help, as the wolves are kept at bay for the moment.

My mental health is pretty bad at the moment and has been for the last three years and am no longer able to work due to ongoing symptoms on a daily basis.

I am having counselling with a Psychiatrist who has unlocked a couple of memories in which I fractured my right hand and right ankle whilst on duty.

I am concerned that the SPVA did not pick up on this when i was discharged and that they were not included in my assesment.

I had a brief chat with them in which they acknowledge that these further injuries were in my medical records, they then realised that they had screwed up and refused to discuss this issue further.

Due to my PTSD i become quickly angry and aggresive and quite stressed when dealing with these type of people, who are currently deailing with a deteriation claim which is being appealed.

I dont want to cause myself any further anguish but feel that in a way i have been robbed by them.

If there is a chance of getting any payments would it be worth my while finacially to go ahead and how far would i be able to claim from.

Thank you :oops:


As regards your War pension.
You were only assessed on those you gave on your application.
To make a claim for the further injuries, you must re-apply for those injuries.
SPVA should have told you this.
Unfortunately you can only claim from the date of the claim.
Ring them in the morning & get a claim in & registered.
Try and get the RBL involved, in my experiance they get things through with less hassel than when you go it alone


True tropper but the number one thing must be to get the claim registered & then when the wheels grind to a decision it will be from the day of first registration.
Sorry to hear of your problems mate, I was medically discharged in 1969, classed 20% disabled, but lucky for me through the support of RBL in UK and Veterans Affairs here in australia I have recieved help with my claims , get everything registered mate!! once a claim is approved you can stop existing and live!! chin up
Hi Old Baldy

I did not fill in any application as this was all done automatically by the SPVA and in any case given my mental health and medication it would have been impossible for me to tell the time of day never mind an application form.

Suicidal tendencies, bouts of exstreme aggresion together with all the usual flash backs etc, and medication of morphine for pain and a host of others for the PTSD left me unable to think or function.

To top that the numerous times i attempted to end my life, to put an end to the misery i suffer from and still do.

Recent attempts include overdosing on morphine etc. Dont get me wrong I am not proud of this but i walk a fine line every day and am constantly supervised by my wife who has had to give up a well paid job to care for me.

Today is a good day and as far as i am concerned the SPVA should have gone through my medical records corrrectly and listed all of my injuries, they have have a duty of care to list these accurately.

These injuries are only coming to light due to receiving Psych help and unlocking various events, to now be informed that any claim will only count from the day of filling in a form and not from my discharge is morally and possibly legally wrong.
If you receive a 50% war pension you would be entitled to claim War Pensions Mobility Supplement (WPMS - currently £52.25 per week) which is higher than DLA higher mobility rate (to which you would not then be entitled) and can be used to buy/contract hire a car through the Motability Scheme.

In time of need I have found my local SSAFA to be of great help. They contacted my Corps Association who gave me a grant.

... as oldbaldy says, re-apply to SP&VA, debilitation due to pensioned injuries can be upgraded (but you have to re-submit the claim) - have you spoken to your War Pensions Welfare Officer?
@ themonsstar

WPMS is a higher rate than DLA Mobitity allowance (WPMS is £52.25 per week as opposed to £46.75 per week for DLA Higher rate Mobility as it stands at the moment.).

This would enable you to get a higher spec car at NIL down-payment, or a lower spec model and keep the change which would be paid to you along with your War Pension.

You can still apply to DLA for the care component.

Hope this helps.

Per Ardua ra34

(btw, good to hear from you again.)


I phone up the veterans agency, to claim war pensioners mobility supplement,you must have one condition, which is 40% or more,however they will still send me a claim form.

My 50% is made up of different conditions the biggest part of being PTSD and Irritable bowel syndrome.The other 10% and minor ailments.

I'm going to make a claim and see how far I get with it. And at the same time, make a claim for DLA on the mental health side and physical side.
It shouldn't be a problem as they have accepted your conditions and assessed you as 50% overall.

Local SSAFA or RBL should also be able to help.
RBL Helpline:
08457 725 725
VA Leaflet 2 said:
War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement
War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement is to help you
with the extra cost of getting about.
You may be entitled to it if you get a war pension at
40% or more and you are unable or almost unable to
walk because of your accepted conditions.
To get the supplement:
• you must have had both legs amputated through or
above your ankles; or
• the conditions that you get a pension for must be the
main reason you cannot walk (or why walking is so
difficult) and this condition must be likely to last for
six months or more; or
• the conditions that you get a pension for must be the
main reason the effort of trying to walk could be a
risk to your life or seriously damage your health; or
• the conditions that you get a pension for must be
blindness assessed at 90% or more and deafness
assessed at 80% or more. This must mean that you
cannot walk outside without another person helping
We will look at how well you can walk using aids like a
walking stick or an artificial limb. We will also look at
the way you walk and how far and how long you can
walk before you feel uncomfortable.
You can have this allowance even if you are in hospital.
If you get the mobility component of Disability Living
Other allowances you may be entitled to
Page 21
Allowance, you can still claim the War Pensioners'
Mobility Supplement, but you will not receive both of
them. We will pay you the supplement at a higher
rate than the mobility component of Disability Living
There is no age limit for claiming War Pensioners'
Mobility Supplement.
If you use a car or another vehicle the Department for
Work and Pensions has lent to you, you can still claim
War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement. But you will only
get it if you give up or buy your Department for Work and
Pensions vehicle.
If you want more information, write to the Invalid
Vehicle Service or, if you live in Scotland, the Scottish
Home and Health Department. Their addresses are
on page 51.
If you get War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement and you
live in the UK, there are other kinds of help that are
available. For example:
• you do not have to pay road tax;
• you may be entitled to a Disabled Persons Railcard;
• you may be entitled to a blue badge for car
parking. The leaflet The Blue Badge Scheme:
parking concessions for disabled and blind
people tells you more about this. You can get this
leaflet from the Department for Transport or the social
services department of your local authority.
Other allowances you may be entitled to
Page 22
You can get help from Motability if you want to use the
supplement to get a car or powered wheelchair. For
more details about Motability, see page 49.


  • valeaflet2-notes_warpens_living_in_uk_115.pdf
    200.8 KB · Views: 64

Latest Threads