Medical discharge for Type 1 Diabetes

I was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes while out of battalion and I’ve just got back and am hoping for a discharge for many reasons, one being I’m massively limited with what I can do while serving and 2 more importantly to me is depression. As you can imagine having diabetes its a massive headfuck and being in the army isn’t for me with it.

Could I possibly ask for a discharge or is that out of the window...

Sorry to hear that and good luck with managing it.

Have you had a medical board? If not, one should happen so speak to your medics. At the board you can freely express what you wish to happen.

Best place to start is the Med Centre, not this bunch of idiots.
I would think that depression (has that been diagnosed) and Type 1 would get you a discharge, but I was a stacker so don't know.

Good luck.

Thank you I have a med review at the end of Feb/beginning of March so I’ll speak with the MO about it. And no the depression is more about having diabetes in the army and not being able to do anything. Sat doing nothing for almost 6 months...

Best place to start is the Med Centre, not this bunch of idiots.
I would think that depression (has that been diagnosed) and Type 1 would get you a discharge, but I was a stacker so don't know.

Good luck.
Depression in its own right isn't an automatic discharge, though you cannot deploy or have access to weapons/ammunition while treatment is ongoing - reviewed in 6 month blocks. (information a few years old so no guarantees made)

Depression in its own right isn't an automatic discharge, though you cannot deploy or have access to weapons/ammunition while treatment is ongoing - reviewed in 6 month blocks. (information a few years old so no guarantees made)
For the depression side of things, MND for up to 12 months, followed by:
A) Upgraded to MFD L2
B) Up to a further 12 months MLD if responding, and still on maintenance meds until 6months free of meds
C) P8S8.

The depression and diabetes is very likely to be linked that is very normal, been there got the tshirt and literally been rushed to hospital in a diabetic coma to be diagnosed as type 1

1 year on, I'm off the diabetes meds and insulin, and confusing the doctors by reversing diabetes all whilst taking their advice with a pinch of salt.

So Type 1 isn't always as bad as they make out, in rare circumstances, it can be revered, just hope you're a lucky one. Worst case it can be managed then life will eventually carry on as normal

There is good support here, don't be proud to ask for help, just don't take it all as gospel would be my advice