Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medical discharge during catterick

Patton97

Clanker
Hello, I started catterick on the 2nd October 2016, only to be told 4/5 days in on the initial medical that I wasn't able to be there due to an injury I suffered in primary school in 2008 (damaged ligaments in my knee) now, as bad as the injury sounds it hasn't caused me any major hassle since then. I can, run, tab, walk, squat all without pain.

So the doctor referred me to see the physio that day and she looked at it and told me she's not happy with it and that she thinks I've damaged the ACL in my knee? I'm not insulting her intelligence,but Surely if this was the case I'd be in agony constantly? Which I'm not...

So I had my med board and he graded me a P8 and I'm now at home waiting on my discharge papers. They have referred me for an MRI scan which I'm still waiting for and even my GP said he doesn't beilive it to be as bad as what the physio said it is.

I'm just wondering is this going to affect me reapplying and if I can when can I reapply? Also is an appeal possible or is it too late? It states on my med papers that I can reapply depending on true nature of the "injury" but I thought P8 means no go back? Helppppp

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
I have had numerous MRI scans on parts damaged while grafting for Betty.

MRI will show up any fault, so you will either get the good or the bad news

Patton97

Clanker
So if it turns out alls we'll, will I be able to reapply? I've read up on the P8 grading and I can't find much about it other than "unfit for any military service" the doctors and the med team at catterick didn't really discuss this very well with me and how this is going to affect me in the long run etc. All I know is that there's litrally nothing in this world I can think/dream of doing other than he in the army, despite what some soldiers/ ex soldiers would say haha

DITA

MIA
So if it turns out alls we'll, will I be able to reapply? I've read up on the P8 grading and I can't find much about it other than "unfit for any military service" the doctors and the med team at catterick didn't really discuss this very well with me and how this is going to affect me in the long run etc. All I know is that there's litrally nothing in this world I can think/dream of doing other than he in the army, despite what some soldiers/ ex soldiers would say haha

Have you actually been given a discharge date?

I'm not fully clued up, but maybe they are holding off making a further decision until the MRI results are in, then they'll say come back and join a new intake, or no thanks, you're too broke.

On the other hand, if you're given papers before your MRI, then your best bet is to speak to a recruiting office.

You were 4 days in.

You haven't yet really started to put pressure on your knees.

Best get them sorted first.

Patton97

Clanker
No mate I'm still waiting on my discharge papers/ date was told they'd come within 6 weeks of me leaving but they haven't come yet so I don't know??

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Hello, I started catterick on the 2nd October 2016, only to be told 4/5 days in on the initial medical that I wasn't able to be there due to an injury I suffered in primary school in 2008 (damaged ligaments in my knee) now, as bad as the injury sounds it hasn't caused me any major hassle since then. I can, run, tab, walk, squat all without pain.

So the doctor referred me to see the physio that day and she looked at it and told me she's not happy with it and that she thinks I've damaged the ACL in my knee? I'm not insulting her intelligence,but Surely if this was the case I'd be in agony constantly? Which I'm not...

So I had my med board and he graded me a P8 and I'm now at home waiting on my discharge papers. They have referred me for an MRI scan which I'm still waiting for and even my GP said he doesn't beilive it to be as bad as what the physio said it is.

I'm just wondering is this going to affect me reapplying and if I can when can I reapply? Also is an appeal possible or is it too late? It states on my med papers that I can reapply depending on true nature of the "injury" but I thought P8 means no go back? Helppppp
Try asking in here: All medical chat and queries 2016/2017. if you can't find the answer you want, after having perused the thread carefully.

Patton97

Clanker
I left at 4 weeks in, but yeh was told at 4/5 days in I was going. When training for catterick I was going tabbing and running with my dad (who's ex) and my knee was fine

nanking

Old-Salt
I had a recruit a few years ago who was in the same situation. Army Dr said that he would be unfit for Mil service until he had an op to rectify the problem, civvy Dr said they wouldn't operate until it became a problem, which it wasn't. The guy was the fittest in my Pl, but was medically discharged.

jurrasic_clerk

Old-Salt

How did you get to SNCO in 4/5 days?

Sjj

Crow
I will try my best to keep this short I’m looking for any advice possible!... my husband gave up his life in order to join the royal military police division within the British army.. after a year of fighting against the “computer says no answers “ we final got a start date to begin phase one training at pirbright he successfully completed and passed out with an additional award for beat drill... started phase 2 in southwick currently 9 days in to be told last Wednesday that there was a discrepancy with his hands (not completely laying flat for pt sessions) occurring after an operation that was carried out 6 years ago for damage after skiing this has not been an issue in any way throughout the training so far and does not have a problem carrying out tasks they have requested! He was asked to see the medical board and they would decide weather he was able to continue with training, we waited a whole week to be told today that the ultimatum was to has the operation again (which was unsuccessful first time) and be put in sword for 10 months of at then there was a full recovery he would start phase 2 from there or be medically discharged !!! It feels as though the ground has been ripped beneath us and this is the most unfair decision considering he is able to complete the tasks asked and is a strong candidate for the military ... can anyone advise if there would be grounds to fight this or is the decision final?
Many thanks!

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Sorry. I stopped reading at "gave up his life"

The_Snail

ADC
RIP

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think It's already been posted in there