Medical discharge advice?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by littletimmy, Jan 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Not sure if this is the correct place, if not i appoligies and could a mod move it to the correct board. Well i've not long passed out of phase 1 training, and the worry of med discharged has been lingering over me for the last couple of months. I've moved onto phase 2 training and have recently seen a specialist on my condition. The condition i have is called Eosinophilic esophagitis. Not much is known on the condition and its only in the last 15 years its been reckonised. Basically what happens in the bottom of my gullet contracts and food gets stuck (meat every time, due to tuff and unforgiving texture in my opinion). Thus i am unable to eat or drink. Breathing is uneffected. What the brain boxes of the medical world think is thats its caused by alleries, but they are unsure what the allergies are. its happened three times in the past 5 years, but two have been during basic training.

    Anyway when i seen specialist in his opinion i was not fit to serve on operations due to lack of medical facalties in Afganistan. ( when its happened in the past i've had to have a microscope put into down my throat the food pushed from where its lodged.) So his report is going to state this and that i would need 12 months clear of incident before i could serve. His opinion was i would most likely be discharged.

    I then spoke to my corprals back at phase one who informed me on the process and what could happen. Apparently the next step will be i will be infront of a medical board, present my case, they will go away and decide what they want to do. They said that i could then appeal the decision if it was medical discharge and ask to see a different specialist. I think my best option is to aim for being downgrade for 12 months rather than med discharged.

    Also i have been prescribed an inhailer which i swollow rather than inhail. It seems to work.

    So what im after is any advice from anyone whose been under threat of med discharge.

    Is being downgraded likely in today climate of overmanning?

    Am i entitled to anything if worst comes to worst and i am med discharged?

    BTW i'm joining the engineers as a signaller or a fabricator, depending on if i get the trade change i want. Its unlikely i would reach the field army for around 12 months so would not be deployed anyway.

    any advice welcome. I wish it would all be over and done with as the stress of not knowing what going to be doesn't help during training.

    thanks in advance lads
  2. You need 2 years service for a medical pension,at least you did two years ago,otherwise just a medical discharge, no compensation and you are out. It may be different as you signed on AFPS2005 will stadby to be corrected!
  3. vauxhall

    vauxhall Sponsor

    You are absolutely right. Just like AFPS 75, AFPS 05 requires two years' reckonable service before ill-health or survivors' pensions are paid. The reckonable service built up in the scheme for those who do not qualify for preserved pensions or ill-health/survivors' pension may be transferred to another pension scheme or to the State Second Pension. If no application for transfer is made, SPVA transfer the value to the State Second pension.