Medical - depression

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by vlh_st, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with gaining entry and a history of depression. I know it is case by case and a definitive answer is not possible, just trying to get some idea of my chances. I am 26 years old, just applied for Royal Engineers. I have been in antidepressants for about 5 years although I would consider my depression mild and intermittent, with no episodes of harm or suicidal tendencies, and predominantly due to being a student with a lack of structure and routine. Furthermore, I think my worries could have been addressed through different approaches such as changing my thought processes and I find exercise helps a lot, but when I was in my early 20s my Gp would just prescribe them (fluoxetine) and I would just take them. I also sometimes have sleep problems, again due to student lifestyle and lack of routine, and have had occasional sleeping tablets.. I think if I can explain myself they will see that it would not necessarily be an issue, but I am worried I will fail medical based on paper. Anyone any thoughts or advice? Thanks

2. I had the "black" mark of depreression on my form, I was told you needed to be one year clear of use of antidepressants and depression itself to join, and there is no appeal for the rule really.

If you are still a medicated depressive I highly doubt they will take you.

I was 40 weeks short of the 12month for a depressive episode, however through discussion and revealing the reason for the 4week bout of depression with the med centre I was cleared to join. It is case by case basis, but I do know you have to be "clear" at least.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yeah cheers for that you tit.

4. Well, you are a cock.

And you've never been on tour.

And you would cry.

So it's a fair one.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I will say don't just decide to stop your antidepressant on your own accord, firstly you might well still need it, and secondly suddenly ceasing to take it will likely result in you feeling incredibly unwell, see your doctor and take their advice.

6. He has got you bang to rights there B_S. Probably best you delete your account and commit suicide. It's for the best.

• Like Like x 3
  7. The GP would just prescribe them? Yeah ok, funny that, anyway use the search and no you can't.

8. I know this is the "serious bit" but FFS!
    OP. Go to the recruiting office and tell the nice man that some no-mark, who handed in his SLR and left the army, told you it would be OK.
    If you feel the advice of anonymous internet mongs is appropriate, I suggest a career in the forces may not be for you.

9. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

10. Whatever, infractions given for trolling. There is no need to reply if you have no relevant point to make.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.