Medical deferrment putting kaibosh on Sandhurst plans - age waiver possible?

Hello,

I was hoping to apply as a Regular Officer about a year and a half ago but my first (and seemingly last) episode of eczema a few months before that got me a 3 year deferment from signing up. When the exclusion ends I'll be 29 years & 9 months old.

Regular Officers should be between 18-29 upon starting at Sandhurst, according to the Army site. Is there any possible way for me to still make it in? Or am I buggered? If not, I will conceivably join as a Reserve Officer, though that is not what I have been hoping to do.

I rang the recruitment phone line and they said that you can get an age waiver if they think you're worth having. Any idea what kind of stuff they take into consideration? I'm not trained in a profession (doctor, lawyer etc) but can speak Mandarin. Would that be something they might want?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

The reason I didn't post it there is because I already know that I am deferred - my appeal didn't work. My question is more regarding the ability going the Regular Officer route after reaching maximum age by a number of months, or whether it is entirely unfeasible.

I'm most interested in MI, which is why I mention the language thing.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
In that case you may wish to edit your thread title to more reflect your question.

Hello,

I was hoping to apply as a Regular Officer about a year and a half ago but my first (and seemingly last) episode of eczema a few months before that got me a 3 year deferment from signing up. When the exclusion ends I'll be 29 years & 9 months old.

Regular Officers should be between 18-29 upon starting at Sandhurst, according to the Army site. Is there any possible way for me to still make it in? Or am I buggered? If not, I will conceivably join as a Reserve Officer, though that is not what I have been hoping to do.

I rang the recruitment phone line and they said that you can get an age waiver if they think you're worth having. Any idea what kind of stuff they take into consideration? I'm not trained in a profession (doctor, lawyer etc) but can speak Mandarin. Would that be something they might want?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers
Put reserves into consideration, mean time get on with your life, you may find RMAS turning their nose up at a age-borderline cadet either way if you try regular.

A few months either way is not exactly a long while ago and your skin disease may re-occur in which case your better of considering another career either way as you'll be medically unfit, the grass is always greener as they say and you may find something else which pays alot more.

I'd love to be a solicitor, considering studying, broaden your horizons.

Don't put the Forces off but prepare for good news or bad news, your future is secure either way.

Put reserves into consideration, mean time get on with your life, you may find RMAS turning their nose up at a age-borderline cadet either way if you try regular.

A few months either way is not exactly a long while ago and your skin disease may re-occur in which case your better of considering another career either way as you'll be medically unfit, the grass is always greener as they say and you may find something else which pays alot more.

I'd love to be a solicitor, considering studying, broaden your horizons.

Don't put the Forces off but prepare for good news or bad news, your future is secure either way.
Yes, fully with you. I am not planning my life around this long shot and I have irons in other fires. My question was more around the possibility - if there is one - of an age waiver, and how they are determined, if they are given out regularly at all etc. If not, then I will join as a reservist and carry on the day job.

... Try the reserves. I did and due to my role, I went to places and did more than most regulars. It alos accelerated my civilian career which continues to pay the mortgage and allow me the freedom to go out when I want to and be where I want to be (subject to the Wifey's cconsent of course which means I really enjoy supermarkets and looking at cushions and paint samples :-( )

The other thing is that exposure to stress (there will be a lot of stress just doing drill!) and exposure to various substances from gun oil to starch to dirt, dust, polish, other cleaning products and army food may cause a flare up of skin irritation which will not be fun for you or the others who have to cover or casevac you.

Seriously, look at the reserves. You may find that the regulars was not what you thought it was after all.

As for an age waiver - you would have to be very good and have some pretty unique skill-sets that the army want or some pretty good family connections. You are competing against a huge tranche of eligible youngsters who will be younger, fitter, keener and more malleable than you.

... Try the reserves. I did and due to my role, I went to places and did more than most regulars. It alos accelerated my civilian career which continues to pay the mortgage and allow me the freedom to go out when I want to and be where I want to be (subject to the Wifey's cconsent of course which means I really enjoy supermarkets and looking at cushions and paint samples :-( )

The other thing is that exposure to stress (there will be a lot of stress just doing drill!) and exposure to various substances from gun oil to starch to dirt, dust, polish, other cleaning products and army food may cause a flare up of skin irritation which will not be fun for you or the others who have to cover or casevac you.

Seriously, look at the reserves. You may find that the regulars was not what you thought it was after all.
The reserves promises more flexibility and works around your life instead of regulating your life, and plenty of oppertunities for courses and attachments, my unit has an Assault Pioneer platoon and for someone on civvie street those qualifications look good and supplements those in the manual trade.

The regulars is exactly what it says on the tin, and its more than a 9-5, and it sure as hell is not flexible.

Of course that depends what your looking for in life etc good pension, guarenteed pay packet.

But your currently deferred and may not pass a medical, I'd start looking elsewhere to be honest as well

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Because your time is so insanely limited you only have time to respond to appropriately titled recruitment threads on the internet.
Not at all, a more appropriated li title can attract the right ARRSErs to respond. It was not meant as sarcasm but as a helpful hint.

The OP is more concerned with the age aspect of his query but the title suggests more abut the medical aspect, they are two different questions which can be answered better by different folk

Latest Threads