Medical conditions

I'm not looking for proper medical advice... just some kind of rough feeling about where it goes from here on out. Would appreciate any words given.

After recently, finally taking the plunge and joining the army, I've come to realise that I probably have hyperthyroidism. Now, I believe this is a bar from entry for recruits. I've only been serving a few months and so for me to have to leave after such a short time would be devastating. It's a condition I've probably had my whole life and it hasn't affected me really apart from making it impossible for me to gain weight, no matter what I eat!

The choice for me is to go to the docs and risk actually having it then getting binned, or shut my mouth and carry on with the risks that are involved with the illness. If it doesn't mean an automatic discharge then I'll go to the doctors right away, otherwise I have a hard choice to make.

Does anyone know what the deal is here?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I'm not looking for proper medical advice... just some kind of rough feeling about where it goes from here on out. Would appreciate any words given.

After recently, finally taking the plunge and joining the army, I've come to realise that I probably have hyperthyroidism. Now, I believe this is a bar from entry for recruits. I've only been serving a few months and so for me to have to leave after such a short time would be devastating. It's a condition I've probably had my whole life and it hasn't affected me really apart from making it impossible for me to gain weight, no matter what I eat!

The choice for me is to go to the docs and risk actually having it then getting binned, or shut my mouth and carry on with the risks that are involved with the illness. If it doesn't mean an automatic discharge then I'll go to the doctors right away, otherwise I have a hard choice to make.

Does anyone know what the deal is here?
You must have had blood tests when you joined. What makes you sure you have the condition?

it was initially brought up as a "hmm..." by the doctor who examined me in phase 1 but she didn't follow up.
I mentioned my inability to gain weight in the OP (seriously. 60kg on more than a 3000cal diet and no growing), I have a very high resting heart rate despite running 5 minute mile, a fine tremor (noticed by Cpl when I was on the range and by my GP before I joined up), restlessness, trouble sleeping, vitiligo (same thing Michael Jackson had -- hyperthyroidism is quite often the cause, apparently), dislike of the heat (open window and heating off all day and night even in winter). They're just the ones I remember.

It's clearly borderline or else it would have been a more serious redflag. I'm wondering if it's even possible to get a waiver if I don't need medication - sometimes you just need an Op or a blast of radiotherapy (iodine)

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
it was initially brought up as a "hmm..." by the doctor who examined me in phase 1 but she didn't follow up.
I mentioned my inability to gain weight in the OP (seriously. 60kg on more than a 3000cal diet and no growing), I have a very high resting heart rate despite running 5 minute mile, a fine tremor (noticed by Cpl when I was on the range and by my GP before I joined up), restlessness, trouble sleeping, vitiligo (same thing Michael Jackson had -- hyperthyroidism is quite often the cause, apparently), dislike of the heat (open window and heating off all day and night even in winter). They're just the ones I remember.

It's clearly borderline or else it would have been a more serious redflag. I'm wondering if it's even possible to get a waiver if I don't need medication - sometimes you just need an Op or a blast of radiotherapy (iodine)
So you don't have the condition but are being neurotic because you're thin. Don't read medical conditions up on the Internet.

So you don't have the condition but are being neurotic because you're thin. Don't read medical conditions up on the Internet.
As I said, the GP who examined me in Phase One looked at my results mentioned hyperthyroidism. I never brought it up before that.

Appreciate your thoughts, though.

You really have no option but to seek professional advice, rather than words from a bunch of well-intentioned randoms on the Internet.

Last edited:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
go see the Dr ffs, there are many things it could be.

I was a really skinny runt in basic, I put on weight (muscle not fat) unlike most of the rest of the troop who lost weight.

It's too early in the morning for me to bother with typing out the reasons for going and getting this sorted rather than hiding it.

If any of the symptoms (fine tremor, restlessness, trouble sleeping, vitiligo) are actually bothering you (physically rather than mentally) to the extent that they are impacting on your ability to carry out any of your duties, then you have a duty to see a doctor, because hiding an illness counts as malingering. The tremors have already been noted by a doctor, so unless they are troubling you, there is no requirement to bring them to anyone's attention again, similarly the vitiligo would not impact on your ability to perform your job. If you are concerned about the restlessness or sleeplessness, see the doctor about those without telling them your self-diagnosis.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
the vitiligo would not impact on your ability to perform your job.
In fact it would be a positive bonus if he applies for an Arctic Warfare course.