Medical and Comp discharge for serving couple?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by jay213, Sep 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

After a bit of constructive advice if anyone can help. My partner and I are both serving albeit in different units and she is due to be MD'd however at present i am acting as a carer and would need to more so when she is discharged.

How can i go about a comp discharge?, also, I would appreciate any advice on both procedures.

Thanks
    jay

2. I would suggest that you ask your Unit Welfare Officer or try Army Welfare

3. Best of luck guys. SSAFA should be able to help you out.

4. thanks all, have been referred to ssafa social worker just waitin out at the mo. its an arse being in germany we are dislocated from thr real world

5. I have been in the position to do this as an SSA. A lot of it depends on how good your CO is - the one I worked for was very sensible and approachable - if yours isn't then def go the SSAFA/AWS route and get them to do this for you.

Essentially your bible is QRs, and the form you need is an AFB 132.

This is a cut and paste job from QRs that gives the basic info, but a few things would need to be clarified before I could give you the correct answer. First of all, how long have you served? Below 12 years you transfer to the reserve - over 12 you would be discharged, however depending on how much 'caring' your partner requires it may be impractical to be on the reserve, so this can be waivered.

Essentially you would need to get some kind of proof that your partner needs you as a carer - be it a doctors letter, or SSAFA/AWS etc. Then apply to your CO by letter, explaining your circumstances - hopefully he will then call you for an interview and you can put your case to him. If he's a good bloke and agrees to your discharge there is very little else you will have to do except sign some forms that the admin staff (be it RAO or SSA) will complete for you. The Div Comd (GOC) is the one who would authorise your discharge so it could all be complete in a matter of weeks - with the one I did the soldier was out and back in UK within a month.

Anyway, the cut and paste is:

9.375. At the soldier's request, free on compassionate grounds.

a.
    The competent military authority to authorise the transfer is the GOC of a division or district.

b.
    Army Terms of Service Regulations 1992, Regulation 6 and Schedule 1 govern this authority.

c.
    Application is to be made on AF B 132A and submitted as for para 9.374. The conditions and procedure laid down in paras 9.423 and 9.424 are to apply.

d.
    Transfer to the Reserve under this paragraph if approved is to be as for para 9.374 and is not to be delayed by the application of the provisions of para 9.418.

e.
    This paragraph is also applicable to a soldier enlisted on the Open Engagement.

f.
    Transfer to the Reserve will be authorised on AF B132.

g.
    A soldier who enlisted before 1 January 1986 and has completed 12 years service reckoned from the relevant date should not be transferred to the Reserve but should be discharged under para 9.402.

a.
    The competent military authority to authorise discharge is the GOC of a division or district.

b.
    The Army Act 1955 (Part I) (Regular Army) (Amendment) Regulations 1995, Schedule A, Part II, Item 11 governs this authority.

c.
    This paragraph applies to a soldier who requests premature discharge free on compassionate grounds with all restrictions waived.

d.
    Discharge under this paragraph is to be effected only in exceptional circumstances where transfer to the Reserve under para 9.375 is inappropriate or impracticable. (See para 9.415b).

e.
    Discharge under this paragraph is not to be delayed by the application of para 9.418.

f.
    The application is to be made on AF B132A. The conditions and procedure laid down in paras 9.415 - 9.424 will apply.

g.
    Discharge will be authorised on AF B132.

Best of luck mate :D

6. Thank you all very much for the advive,

It has been of real use, have been doing the chase today around admin office, coy office and csm he is on-side which is a bonus. RAO didn't think that you could discharge for this reason until I found QR chapter 9.4 etc.

Think that my unit will be obstructive as is the norm so have been referred to ssafa social workers and AWS.

Going to try all avenues, but my family comes first after 11 yrs of putting the army ahead.

Being a grunt living with an RMP has never helped the situation.

7. Thank you all very much for the advive,

It has been of real use, have been doing the chase today around admin office, coy office and csm he is on-side which is a bonus. RAO didn't think that you could discharge for this reason until I found QR chapter 9.4 etc.

Think that my unit will be obstructive as is the norm so have been referred to ssafa social workers and AWS.

Going to try all avenues, but my family comes first after 11 yrs of putting the army ahead.

Being a grunt living with an RMP has never helped the situation.

8. Jay - I wish you all the best and good luck for the future!