Medical Advice

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by martialmikey, Jul 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I really want to join the army (as a soldier). I just have one concern which I fear may shatter my dreams, I had asthma when I was younger and although I have not suffered since I was about 15 I was left on a repeat prescription. I just rang my doctors surgery; they informed me that the last time I used my repeat prescription was september 2004. Does this ruin my chances of passing the medical to get into the army?
  2. please dont take this as gospel but i know on the medical they asked when was the last time you had an asthma attack. Granted this was in 1991.
    If you havn't used an inhalor for over two years then it might not be a problem.
    best of luck and dont be put off.
    go for the interveiws and see what happens.
  3. What do you want to do in the Army?
  4. i joined up with asthma. but i said that i have never used my inhaler for more that 4 years.
    when you go through basic take plenty with you and hide them.
  5. I want to join the Royal Engineers, I am very good at Mathematics and have qualifications so I believe the RE would be best for me as they have trades that require Mathematics
  6. I dont use inhalers any more RAID but my records will show I was issued an inhaler 2 years ago
  7. so you are saying that you used to be in the army. or is it the civvy doctors that you had.
    if its the civvy doctors the army never checked up on me.
    if you can give me more information i might be able to help you out a bit more?
  8. sorry, i will try and make it clearer. I have never been in the army before, I am 22 and want to join, for the last 2 weeks I have been looking into it and I noticed that asthma precludes entry. i am on a repeat prescription with civvy doctors for an inhaler which I havent made use of for 2 years and as far as I can remember I havent actually used an inhaler for well over four years. I was under the impression that after you take the BARB your GP is contacted for medical history?
  9. give it a go mate my GP was never contacted for medical history that i know of. all you can do is try.
    and good look.
  10. Sweet Jesus.

Firstly RAID, isn't lying about your health i.e saying you never need your inhalers, but actually taking some in order to use them, a good way to get your arrse kicked out of the army?

Secondly RAID, When did you join up then, because a full medical history is obtained from your GP as part of the current application process.
  11. so you think I will have problems rowums?
  12. No idea, but you'll never find out unless you try.

All I meant was, lying about your health is not a good idea.
  13. A false declaration upon entry will result in a discharge if discovered. Do not lie. Get your GP to state his opinion that you have 'grown out' of your asthma in your notes and give it a go.
  14. Martialmikey - if you don't use the inhaler, why are you on a repeat prescription? It may be worthwhile getting your GP to give you a thorough examination and take you off the repeat prescription : this will make your life not plain-sailing in your application but certainly a lot easier, if someone asks "do you have an inhaler" you'll be able to say "no" and not be lying. Lying or covering-up on your application is a sure-fire way to find yourself binned.

As relates to the asthma itself : if you've not used an inhaler since you were 20 does this mean you've had no symptoms whatever? Whilst it's possible to "grow out" of asthma if you are going to it would tend to happen when you were younger.

If RE doesn't work out for you have you thought of a non-military career, perhaps in civil engineering? What's your educational background like?
  15. I want to join the army because first and foremost I want to be a soldier and serve my country. I had decided to go for RE because I do think about the future and it would be great to have a trade behind me for when I left. My highest qualifications are A-levels, namely Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Economics & Business Studies. If I can't join the army then I will have to think about a non-military career, but I haven't got any particular non-military career aspirations. I would probably end up doing something mundane that pays the bills.