Medical advice please.

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Skinn_Full, Jan 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alright folks, my brother is intending to join up as a JE at AFC Harrogate, however he is currently at the medical questionnaire stage of the application process and I would like to be able to advise him wether he is going to be deferred or not, here's why. He suffered mildly from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) when he was younger, was prescribed some meds, which he took for just under a year. He will have been off the meds for two years in the summer and no longer suffers from the condition. He is a senior bod at his ACF unit and has never had a days trouble since he joined. Will this episode bar him from service in the Army? If anyone can give a definative answer or point me in the right direction, I would be much obliged. Thought I might try here before contacting the MO at the ADSC. Cheers in advance.

Cheers Easy!
  2. THis is not straightforward, and I'm not qualified to answer. Maybe an MO will catch this and know the answer.

In the meantime, best of luck.

3. The squaddie answer is to keep quiet and say nothing. If the Army doesn't like it and he doesn't get in he may forever regret it. If he does have another episode then he could always deny having it before.

Why risk the disappointment? If he becomes obsessive about detail/cleanliness , etc, he should just say 'attention to detail' and bluff it out. The Army seems to be full of people who seem to have some form of OCD or Tourettes.
  4. The Squaddie answer might well be to keep quiet, however the initial medical screening questionnaire, RG8, will go to his GP. This is then returned to the AFCO and forwarded to ADSC. So you may find that the GP has to disclose the previous medical condition.

"Why risk the disappointment?" Well the disappointment could result in discharge as a Defect on Enlistment.

But the ultimate decision will lie with the ADSC.
  5. I would be really surprised if this particular past medical history is a bar to him joining. However, I don't have any of the JSPs to hand.

He needs to be honest about it.
  6. I agree, he must be honest and declare. The army almost always gets copies of the civilian medical records now and the dissapointment of bieng deffered for a year or two is preferable to a bar on enlistment permanently because you lied on the enlistment form and were found out.

Hope this helps.
  7. I told a porky when I joined up. I told them that I was well-balanced, pragmatic, honest, loyal and had the medical interests of Tommy Atkins at heart. However, in reality I am spineless, self-serving, selfish, egocentric and above all, simply marvellous and balls to anyone who doesn't believe it. Particularly MSOs. Best of all, I'm a General!

Trebles all round!
  8. so why answer then :)

i know of at least one captain (a pilot) with quite severe OCD. hasn't stopped him. but he does have to touch each blade an even number of times before getting in the cab. quite irritating when you're under fire.
  9. Cheers for the feedback folks, unfortunately he wont be able to omit the fact that he had OCD as it will all be on his medical files which will be sent from his G.P to the M.O at the selection center. It was never an extreme disorder, just things like stepping through a door on his left foot, made him uncomfotable, it was just these little things that were p*ssing him off. He is a well balanced character and as I said, he no longer suffers, I suppose he kind of grew out of it? We'll just have to wait and see!

Cheers Easy!
  10. i would love to see this guy in the army. can you imagine the fun? i don't think he should be discriminated against simply because of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder :) having seen some of the symptoms displayed by friends with it.

i'm sorely tempted to start a new thread in the NAAFI bar about this.

on the ranges. can only fire an even number of shots. must load, make ready and unload twice.

on the parade square!! doing drill with whichever foot makes him comfortable.

on exercise - must compulsively wash hands over and over, despite being in a camming up lesson.

oh this is so getting copied into the NAAFI bar :D
  11. The thread lay dormant for a while, and I thought I'd keep it "alive" ;)

By doing so, there are five or so more posts than there was before, so I've done the guy a favour with my ignorance.

Just the kind of guy I am.

12. He won't get in - will put the relevant link up when I find it.
  13. keep quiet, the army's admin is up its hoop.

I was serving with a Battalion not far from West Riding who had a young private fresh out of basic training who looked a bit odd.

The adjutant looked into it with the RMO and hey presto the guy was a down syndrome sufferer! He was not part of the regiment the next day! That is how good the admin is! Doesn't say much about the training standards! Apparently he was very fit but a bit quiet!

Any comments?
  14. So they sent him to Sandhurst then???????
  15. No, he's now a rockape!