Medical 76mm?

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Boxy, Apr 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Was there ever any truth in the rumour about anyone who crew Scorpions & fired the 76mm getting compensation?

This came out about the same time as it was binned.

2. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I never bloody did.

I have to say that recently I heard a more plausible explanation about why Scorpion was binned.

With the end of the Cold War, arms reduction talks came to the question of multilaterally reducing the number of tank guns in the range 75mm to 105mm. With no tanks with guns in that range, Army offered up the Scorpion (so what if nobody in the business had ever called it a tank? If it quacks like a duck ...), replaced the gun turrets and carried straight on.

Much as I'd like to believe the "turret flooded with carbon monoxide" theory - I suffered from it often enough - I am not holding out any hope for compensation because even if the latter is true, the arms reduction theory is more plausible and an easy get-out for any government that wants to continue to screw us long after we left.

3. The one I'd heard was that RAF Regt,bless their little hearts, were looking at using them, but a H&S study showed them to be so highly hazardous to the health of the crews when they fired the main, let alone the fumes from the co-ax, that they were immediately binned!

4. Heard, that as well (guns can be hazardous to your health) but they also discovered cracks in the mantlet after all those years & it might have come down to costs & having them repaired. A fair few Scorps, found a second life being the Opfor vehicle & then being renamed 'Salammander', having a plastic draipipe stuck over the 76 & an 40gal drum stuck on the back.

5. Heard the same story ref compo, H&S and main fumes - also heard we sold a number of Scopions to Belgium (not joking here) and the rest had their turrets replaced with fox turrets making that low profile cvr(t) that armoured inf recce plns got (name escapes me, too much havana club last night).

I miss the little fcukers - particularly when IGs put HE instead of Illum on Hjerkin ranges and took the top of a mountain off (allegedly)!

6. Heard that about the mantlet cracks, also remember having them checked after Hohne one year.

7. Didn't they try to stick a larger gun in it at one stage 90mm I think?

8. No idea bud - I do know that the Action Man ones are still in service, but they never made a scimiter (main arm' was too thin and boke easily when it went to ATDU! :wink: )

9. Believe it was called Scorpion 90, with a Cockerill main on it?
    Saw them firing at Lulworth once as a demo.
    Loud bleeders they were....

10. From wiki:

Scrpion:

Intended to be a fast and air-transportable reconnaissance vehicle, the Scorpion is built from mainly aluminium armour and mounts a L23A1 76 mm gun firing HE, HESH, Smoke, and Canister rounds. Original models had a Jaguar 4.2 litre petrol engine. This engine was chosen because of its high power to weight ratio. Some customers specified diesel engines. The Perkins Diesel engine was chosen, which has shown longer in-service life, and has a reduced risk of fire. All models are capable of 80km/h.

The Scorpion and the similar Scimitar saw active service in the Falklands War of 1982, the only armoured vehicles of the British. With a 'footprint' lighter than that of a man, it was one of the few vehicles capable of operating in the extreme conditions of the Falklands land mass (wheeled vehicles had almost no use away from established roads).

The Scorpion has been withdrawn from service (the chief reason being that the 76mm gun had no fume extractor and could suffocate the crew if the vehicle was closed down for NBC protection). The hulls have been reused with the turrets from the FV 721 Fox wheeled reconnaissance vehicle to form a new vehicle, the Sabre, which is very similar in appearance to the Scimitar.

As the NBC seals worked FFS!

11. Guys, spent many a year on scorpion, it was binned because of the toxcicity hazard (fumes), but i dont seem to remember falling fowl of this problem. As a Goonery Inst I spent many hours stuck in the turret firing the dam thing and I aint got two heads yet, NO COMMENT FROM YOU BOGGLES. Tmantlets did tend to crack but they where repaired, most damage I ever seen, apart from the time 9/12L mellted a bastard on the firing point in Hohne, was when I was instructing at JLRRAC and my gunner forgot to put the front mounting pin in the COAX. It went someting like this "coax on 500 fire, firing now, ?????????????, firing now ????????????, AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG, firing now ????????????????????" at which point the IG on the turret realised there was no trace going down range. It was all in the fooking turret on the commanders side, the coax shot back and pinned me to the back of the turret so I could not get to the gunner and break his nose. By the time the IG realised what was happening I was i serious pain but still trying to kill the gunner. The IG, Rowly from QDG if I remember correctly, reached in and lifted the gunner out of the turret by his nose, he then had to find a way to seperate me from the turret. By the time he did this I was fuming and screamed across the firing point to find out who had mounted the coax, guess wht, all fingers pointed to the twaaaaaatttttttt stood next to me in the gunners position. As I tightened my fingers around his throught Rowly leaned over and said "do you realise the CO is on the firing point and watching" at which point i let go of his throught. The damage sustained by the vehicle was that the fosfer bronze gimble bairing had been shot out and the mounting was a mangled mess, the REME tried to NMAD me but never got any where with it. I still got the scar on my shoulder to prove this one. But CVRT being so good we where back on the firing point and firing, less the gormless twat who tried to kill me, within 24 hours.

12. Come to think of it I had a habit of doing serious damage to the old scorp, sunk and brand new one when I was recce troop S/Sgt, turned it into a submarine. And yes the REME tried to make me pay for it again, lol. NO JOY.

13. I once committed a similar indiscretion with the coax mounting. Mine however was with the rear mounting pin. These little buggers were part of the gunners toolkit and thus prone to being mislaid.
    Lulworth ranges, main armament nicely boresighted, 7.62 coax slipped into mounting front mounting bolt in place, rear mounting pin "lost".
    What harm can it do thought I.
    Full days firing on the range perfect. No problems at all. Everything worked as it should till it was time to dismount the bloody thing from its mounting. This was when I discovered one of the reasons for the issue and use of the rear pin. Once you'veput a belt or two down without a rear pin in place the recoil and bounce at the back end tends to distort the front mounting bolt. This then prevents the gun from being retracted from the cradle.
    Bloody hours I spent trying to get that ****** out. In the end I had to admit defeat and hand over a slab of tinnies to the LAD armourer to sort it out for me on the quiet.

14. I liked Hjerkin. Discovered two things there:

1. The difficulty of getting 30mm HE through thin cover. Fuse is(or, certainly was) very sensitive.

2. If one wants to cause a snow avalanche, on a high mountain, using 30mm HE, the following is useful:-
    a. Use of the" add two turns"(of elevation handwheel) fire correction order obviates the need for an QE on a Rarden, and makes bracketing easier.
    b. You can pump a LOT of 30mm HE into deep snow for little effect.
    c. Checking ones '6' after such an engagement and taking a bow does wonders for Norge/UK relations

15. liked Hjerkin. Discovered two things there:

Hated the place..
    and still went there 6 times.. :x