Medic refuses to help dying mum

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bwtsninja, Sep 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. But once inside she said she could not try to resuscitate the dying woman because she had to have another paramedic with her.

The above is from the Sun so accuracy may be suspect, but if so why go on her own to a 999 call? Also I have been taught and have taught to do it solo.
  2. Its in the Daily Mail as well

Sounds a bit suspect myself ..but as always with case like this there is always "there version and there version " and then theres the "truth"
  3. I don't know what Derbyshire Ambulance Service protocols are, so cannot comment on her refusal to commence CPR. However, I think that she is probably justified in her refusal to enter the pub on her own. Her priority is her safety. Emergency services personnel are very easy targets, particularly if they are trying to work on someone, and had this woman collapsed due to the actions of another person, it is not unheard of for that person to try to stop ambulance personnel from administering aid.
  4. Well here in London .A "FRU" - (fast response unit which is single manned) - is not meant to be sent to any pub incident , for safety reasons ...

mind you some staff can get a bit carried away with there personal safety and lead to things like this : Paramedic refuses to enter a patients house
  5. Protocol shmotocol, that was not the time to fall back on protocol. If she should not have been sent there alone then she should have raised hell afterwards.
    She has to live with herself after such an incident...
  6. I can't be the only one who thought this was about you not wanting to get a round in.

Edited to explain; This appears to be a merged thread, the title of the thread I replied to was "Paramedic refuses to enter pub as she's on her own!"
  7. :D
  8. lots of variables here, was it a fully trained paramedic, or an EMT? Was it CPR, or are we talking drugs and various technologies?

She could have also been so completely gone by the time she got there that she didn't want to say that 'there's nothing i can do' to a pub full of angry people, but rather deffered to protocol or a made up story to stop her head getting kicked in by refusing.

Lots of different opinions, i don't trust the sun to report all of them.
  9. I find this highly suspect. Even 12 yr old St Johnnies do solo CPR so I can't see why anyone would say that.
    I've attended shouts and done solo CPR as a Responder in all manner of places and can't think of one reason where I felt that I couldn't attempt CPR; and I was only issued with a Defib and O2.
  10. Bloody useless...
  11. Heard some of this story on the radio last night - the interviewer did ask why the "victim" was in the pub, having just been released from hospital in a wheelchair.

There is probably more to this than has been told !!
  12. Checking that her newly transplanted liver was working? :D
  13. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Possibly celebrating having just been released from hospital? Possibly celebrating a birthday/anniversary/first day of the month/123rd orgasm of the year?

Does it matter? And why the inference that the victim - the dead victim - is in some way to blame because she had the temerity to be in a pub! I am becoming sickened of stories of public service and emergency workers displaying cowardice.
  14. Cowardice or self preservation, there was an amby crew attacked and one of them stabbed, albeit at a travellers site, the bit that bothers me is that the I am on my own so cannot resuscitate.