Media Watch

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Goatman, Oct 10, 2005.

1. The HOME Service naturally - TODAY is a must...

2. Radio One bling! minger! gopping yeah!

3. BFBS Radio OR Garrison Radio - background

4. Local FM station - Lynx,Wave,2CR,Dragon,Kiss etc

5. Armed Forces Network,VOA,Radio NGO

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Dagnabbit, I can't find the thread but for what its worth the Independent on Sunday carried a piece on p14 yesterday called ' Blog of the Week' featuring a piece which they subbed:

(rats...and there's me saying only last week I wasn't an Independent reader :roll: )

So, since we have ample evidence that our colleagues from the Fourth estate haunt the about the ARRSE Press Awards for December ?

Nominations are requested for the following categories:

MOST BALANCED REPORTING ACROSS THE YEAR - Individual / Organisation - an ARRSE tie and/or a night out with BB/ A night in with Cuts and Doorbundle

The 'UP ITS OWN ARRSE' award - for the WORST piece of meretricious, ill-informed drivel either written or broadcast on a service topic.
    Nomination - Piers Morgan

The 'KATE ADIE or ANGEL OF DEATH' award - for the reporter male or female with the knack of attracting the most incoming.
    this year's nominee - the BBC's Security correspondent Frank Gardner

The 'DOES MY BUM LOOK BIG IN THIS?' award for the reporter MOST obsessed with their image on camera
    - nominee Natasha Kaplinsky

The 'CRABAIR HOLIDAY' award for the reporter/phot MOST reluctant to leave the air-con.
    (and your nominee for this prestigious award is......?)

Le Chevre
  2. Can we have a "Unified Lefty World View" category we can put The Grauniad, Indy, Channel 4 News and the entire BBC into please?
  3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Sure....if you can nominate three Service personnel to judge the entries who nobody else will object to as having a

" Crypto Fascist, True-Blue Tory, Telegraph-is-good-enough-for me,Hang Queers, Shoot Commies an' hunt down Illegal immigrants with dawgs dont y'know " agenda...:)

Social Stereotyping is s-o-o-o.......passé Vegman , n'est-ce pas ?

( funny old thing...I learned from Google today that someone I was on a course with in the 90's has been made the Channel 4 News Managing Editor.....wonder if she's still blonde ? about a small world! )

Le Chevre
  4. Typical bed-wetting liberal. If you disagree with The Narrative then you're a jack-booted nazi. Sigh.

Seriously, aren't you bored with the almost identikit leftist agenda of the Mainstream Media Goatman?

5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

I got very bored with the Leftist agenda of my Trotskyite history teacher - but I guess I work on being open-minded enough to use my own low-grade intelligence to filter what the media tell me....y'know compare and contrast yah di yah.....I've also been around long enough to recognise that ALL governments loathe and detest the Beeb and would like it to stick to nice stories of Ministers in the finger painting class.......

Maybe my aluminium bowler is better fitted than yours - the mind-controlling rays of the great Leftist Conspiracy just bounce off.....

Not sure I qualify as a bed-wetting LibDem - I distinctly remember being one of two guys in the Sixth Form (reaching into pre-history here) stoutly telling the assembled CND-ers that Polaris was the best thing for European peace since a Lee Enfield.....most of my aquaintances think I'm politically slightly right of Attila the Hen.....

Le Chevre
  6. Goatman,

An interesting poll and one that should throw up a couple of surprises. I suggest that both yours and Veggies suggestions be submitted as they are both a very real element of the bloody awful 4th estate at the moment.

Newsnight a couple of weeks ago seemed to pull off something of a blinder with a balanced look at the situation in Basrah without having to enter into the usual extreme right wing/left wing confrontational slanging match.
  7. Yes, shorty. That particular Newsnight will stay with me for a while. I so strongly approved of their treatment of the subject that I felt compelled to write to them and congratulate them.

Newsnight would get my vote for Most Balanced Reporting.
  8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Okay advised that the IoS copied your piece word for word with no attribution
    ( beneath a Newsline that told us ' Rare American thrush crosses Atlantic and lands in Shetlands - only to be eaten by cat ')

If you want to ask them for the NUJ standard word rate in return for free world rights or indeed send them any more free advice, their email is

If they want to settle out of court , ask for a goodwill contribution in full and final settlement of your claim for copyright infringement to

8) Le Chevre
  9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Hmmm....nice to see from the poll that some people do listen to the 'In house' radio channels...but it occurred to me that some ARRSE folk might never have heard of British Forces Broadcasting Service (not least our Cousins) ....turns out they do a weekly prog on Defence issues called 'Sitrep' on their slightly less giggly channel, BFBS 2 .....webcast at in .mp3 format so potentially downloadable to iPods I guess???

...check it out/listen without prejudice.........latest piece is on the PMs announcement that Iran was behind recent bombings in Iraq.....bit of chat about forthcoming Afghanistan deployment....interview with The Times' Michael Evans discussing Falklands TEWT... ..quite topical interested to hear from Vegetius whether he can detect any Comintern Narrative 'agenda' :cool: .......

Le Chevre
  10. G-dude,

forgot the option of "when the feck do i get an opportunity to listen to the radio!!!"

anyway, Ms C Hawley, is my vote for most balanced (and that's not just cause she got a great arrse)!
  11. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Yo's the Gherkin looking today ?

As to getting the opportunity to listen to the Radio, well, er, if you follow the link I provided (D'oh ! try this...)
    by some miracle of modern techno-wizardry, the radio stuff COMES OUT OF YOUR COMPUTER - just like the quasi heaven on Earth that is this forum.....

If you can't hear it too well, try upping the slidey volume scale gadgy a bit....worth a listen, if you can tear yourself away from analysing the potential impact on the world price of sweet crude of a CIA covert action to remove Hugo Chavtastic that is ;-)

Totsiens kerel,

Le Chevre
  12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

13. Forget the political slant, it's the slant of the arrse the counts! :lol:

I vote for Sian Williams for no other reason than she's cute, funny, great arrse and, in my book, the most empathic presenter/reporter by a mile.

She is currently out in Kashmir, reporting for BBC Breakfast, spreading compassion and sex appeal in equal quantities and making la Kaplinsky look like a stuffed dummy, even at a range of several thousand miles! :lol:

Oh, if only I wasn't (married/old/knackered, etc) :cry:
  14. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Hmmm......well this is Plastic Yank's hotty...[​IMG] and contrast Sian Williams..[​IMG]

and this lady.....[​IMG]

So, which one's Sian ? ;-)

Lee Shaver