Media silence

The battles of Plassey and Buxar, in which the British defeated the Bengali powers, left the company in control of Bengal and a major military and political power in India. In the following decades it gradually increased the extent of the territories under its control, controlling the majority of the Indian subcontinent either directly or indirectly via local puppet rulers under the threat of force by its Presidency armies, much of which were composed of native Indian sepoys.
By 1803, at the height of its rule in India, the British East India company had a private army of about 260,000—twice the size of the British Army, with Indian revenues of £13,464,561, and expenses of £14,017,473.[6][7] The company eventually came to rule large areas of India with its private armies, exercising military power and assuming administrative functions.[8] Company rule in India effectively began in 1757 and lasted until 1858, when, following the Indian Rebellion of 1857, the Government of India Act 1858 led to the British Crown's assuming direct control of the Indian subcontinent in the form of the new British Raj.

Presumably this is the quaint old things that you are telling me the Benevolent British did to control the population and trade with our many Colonies, an Empire on which the sun never set.
(Source wikki)
Wow.

You've actually built a straw man argument and stuffed it with red herrings. Unsurprisingly, it stinks.

Stick to the thread subject.

I feel that the Edinburgh festival fringe comedy circuit is going to attract a great deal of legal action this year, I may even spend a couple of weeks up there and see if I can be suitably offended enough to lodge a hate crime complaint, say a few times a day, I shall expect and push for each offending comedian to suffer the full weight of the Scottish hate crime Law. Should I be offended by any American Comedians, which I feel is highly likely, it will be interesting to see how the US press regards the prospect of jury-less hate crime trials under Scottish law..

Can the far too pervasive comedy element of the Edinburgh Fringe be driven south of the border and the festival return to theatre, mime and bagpipes?
Mime? It's the scorpion pit for you pal.

I know Jo Johnson is very fond of saying this but his examples didn't exactly stand up to close scrutiny.

Is there any evidence that it's true, as opposed to private societies deciding for themselves who to invite while other private societies decide differently?
Well there was the no-platforming of UKIP a few years back. It was done to death on here.

Some professional agitator full-time student in a uni was behind it. I can't remember her name, but she was all over social media with semi-naked phots, IIRC.

Well there was the no-platforming of UKIP a few years back. It was done to death on here.
So private organisation decided for itself who to invite while other private organisations decided differently?

The Bullingdon Club's guest speaker list is remarkably light on Communists and transgender rights activists. Nobody would suggest they're 'suppressing free speech' because they're free to invite who they choose, just like anyone else.

Last edited:
But the problem with 'online' is that is either fake news, or sensationalist BS, posted by some numskull who wants their 15 minutes of fame...
As opposed to the deep thought that goes into traditional format stuff in the Daily Mail (for instance)?

Newspapers that print in Dead Tree format are as likely to print fake news or sensationalist bollocks as the internet. The thing about the internet is the veracity of news stories is easier to check. A simple Google search usually reveals another version of the truth.

Times past every political party had its own newspaper in order to give the party slant on everything and to disseminate propaganda. It was their version of a website.

The battles of Plassey and Buxar, in which the British defeated the Bengali powers, left the company in control of Bengal and a major military and political power in India. In the following decades it gradually increased the extent of the territories under its control, controlling the majority of the Indian subcontinent either directly or indirectly via local puppet rulers under the threat of force by its Presidency armies, much of which were composed of native Indian sepoys.
By 1803, at the height of its rule in India, the British East India company had a private army of about 260,000—twice the size of the British Army, with Indian revenues of £13,464,561, and expenses of £14,017,473.[6][7] The company eventually came to rule large areas of India with its private armies, exercising military power and assuming administrative functions.[8] Company rule in India effectively began in 1757 and lasted until 1858, when, following the Indian Rebellion of 1857, the Government of India Act 1858 led to the British Crown's assuming direct control of the Indian subcontinent in the form of the new British Raj.

Presumably this is the quaint old things that you are telling me the Benevolent British did to control the population and trade with our many Colonies, an Empire on which the sun never set.
(Source wikki)
Nice bit of Google fu/copy and paste. Not wishing to derail the thread further but the terms quaint and benevolent are entirely yours. The empire was of its time, no worse than others and probably better than most relatively speaking. The idea that we ruled at the point of a gun and killed a few pour encourager les autres (Your terminology) is frankly, a trite overly simplistic sound bite.

Nice bit of Google fu/copy and paste. Not wishing to derail the thread further but the terms quaint and benevolent are entirely yours. The empire was of its time, no worse than others and probably better than most relatively speaking. The idea that we ruled at the point of a gun and killed a few pour encourager les autres (Your terminology) is frankly, a trite overly simplistic sound bite.
OK maybe wikki wasn't the best place but we did actually Rule most of the world with a Very Large stick and a Small bag of Carrots

Look. Just because your ma loves the Scouse veiny treat there's no need to come over all inferior.

Despite the fact you are like.
Whatever you say, you Bugsy Walt.

I'm going to a function in scouse land in a couple of weeks I predict at least three quarters of the night will consist of having to listen to the locals boo hooing about some perceived slight.

Whatever you say, you Bugsy Walt.

I'm going to a function in scouse land in a couple of weeks I predict at least three quarters of the night will consist of having to listen to the locals boo hooing about some perceived slight.
God I hope so. Pm me where you're going and I'll guarantee it for the whole evening.

God I hope so. Pm me where you're going and I'll guarantee it for the whole evening.
Now I come to think of it, I could say anywhere in liverpool and its a certainty my night will be filled with grumbling of irate Scousers over some trivial matter that no one else in the world would give a **** about.

On ROPS
On ROPs
In Britain democracy is under an increasing and open threat instigated by the left. We see the no platforming of anyone the left do not like in universities, and the intolerance that has spawned has taken root and is spreading throught society.
If Tommy Robinson is for free speech it must be a bad thing, declares alleged comedian Omid Djalili. #Logic
1521844540807.png