media and troops

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Carolina, Feb 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I'm writing a story and I wanted to make sure my premis is accurate. Does media attention ever make you feel like you are under extra pressure? Have you ever felt like it might interfere with you doing your duty? Anything like that. I realise I shouldn't really be here but I really want to get your points of view so it's a fair representation of the situation. Please comment or email me (caroline_white82@yahoo.co.uk)

Thanks very much,

Caroline.

2. how many more bloody "i'm writing a story" threads do we have to have.

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Well p!ss off then.

4. Carolina....

I am ex Army and TBH with all the negativity over the years no matter how up front and honest you or anyone are, you will get short change from the Armed Forces people.
    Sometimes it is far from what is called for but you have to look at it from a Soldier/Sailor/Crab mans/womans perspective. No matter how much good press the forces get it is the negative press of all that we do in the face of huge adversity that gets the headlines.

Under paid, made to live in inadequate accommodation, put under immense pressures with no get out clauses. No Union to back up personnel.
    We are the bread and butter of the nation. We do, we do not ask questions, we put our lives on the line for our country, and we get nothing in return. Yet the illegal immigrant, chav mother of 6 gets all they want.
    Hope you can see what I am saying from an unbiased point of view.

Cheers,

Wija72

5. Carolina could you please disclose whether you are a journalist or not? As discussed at great length on this thread it is illegal for serving members of the armed forces to contact journalists without prior permission from the MOD, this information would be good to reassure the members here that they are not committing an illegal act if they choose to contact you.

6. I'm a journalism student- is that ok? If not I'm sorry, but if someone really has something to say about this I'd be extremely grateful if they did speak to the MOD and get back to me. I think this is an important subject and one which much of the the media, for obvious reasons is unlikely to publicise.

In response to Wija 71, that completely makes sense, and was rather what I was thinking.

7. Carolina if this is for private research purposes then people can contact you as long as their views aren't going to end up in the news!

If you haven't already, it may well be worth your while contacting the MOD's press office. If you have a well prepared set of questions they may be prepared to help you.

8. Don`t forget the sub to Combat Stress - if you are short of a few bob have a whipround in the students' bar.

9. Not really, why can't you get a proper job?

10. This is for publication in our student magazine, so I think I'd better get onto the MOD. I've already contacted them for other bits of research but I'll post what they say. Thanks very much for your help bat crab.

11. Really? Which magazine is that?

12. XCity mgazine. It gets sent to the alumni of the university. You'll find lots of people are students before they get a proper job.

13. MB - remind us of your profession again?

14. Every I time I spoke to the media it didn't matter what I said they wrote whatever they wanted to, made to look a twat on more than one occasion!

15. My bold.

:thumleft: what a great retort!