Medals

Hello all,

i have a small request that I hope you can help with.

my father erred for 24 years in the royal Irish and UDR.. He recently had to sell his medals to support himself and my mother..mi have returned from Herrick and been told by my brother.. If anyone has bought any medals belonging to David Galloway I will pay to have them returned to him..

Both my brother and I would like to present his medals to him for his birthday.

thank you for your help.

Might be worth your while going here.....www.britishmedalforum.com is full of dealers and collectors alike. Someone on there may be able to help you.

Good luck!

Stick a search on Ebay for his army number then save search so you get an automatic Email if something gets listed. Same with his Rank / Surname perhaps.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Yes I hope he gets his originals back but as CQMS says its knowing you earned them means more and if he has to get replacements instead for the parade you all can be proud.

Thanks.

i would like to return the originals to him especially is BEM..
Where would the best place be too find replacement medals? I am grateful for all your help and advice.

You used to be able to apply for replacement medals - at a cost - through the Army medals Office or whatever bloody agency it is now called. IIRC the gongs come stamped with an "R" for replacement after the engraving but they do have a degree of authenticity that those from a commercial source lack.

Z

Zarathustra

You used to be able to apply for replacement medals - at a cost - through the Army medals Office or whatever bloody agency it is now called. IIRC the gongs come stamped with an "R" for replacement after the engraving but they do have a degree of authenticity that those from a commercial source lack.
They'll only replace them if they've been stolen or accidentally destroyed.

The only exception to this rule is if the medals are stolen or accidentally destroyed beyond the control of the owner, for example in a house fire. In these cases the MOD may replace the medal if proof of the loss is provided in the form of a Police Report or a claim to an insurance company. A charge is made for medals that are replaced to cover the cost of manufacture and a nominal charge for administration. It should be noted that replacement medals will be stamped as such to avoid confusion with the originals should they ever be found. For those who have lost their medals in circumstances other than this, please do not apply to the MOD for replacements. In these cases it is recommended you approach a reputable licensed medal dealer, who can be found in either Yellow Pages or The Soldier magazine. In most cases you will be surprised at how reasonably priced campaign medals are. Some people have suggested that second hand medals from a commercial supplier are less original than replacements bought from the MOD.
Replacing campaign medals

OP I hope you're search goes will and you can find his medals.

@crow_bag. grateful for the clarification - as the OP doubtless is.

The other consideration in getting the "official" replacement medals would have been time. One of the medal shops listed should be able to do a rush job including mounting especially if the O/P followed up with an email explaining the importance. Hopefully the originals do turn up though.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Shamus Current Affairs, News and Analysis 17
Gas Gas Gas Current Affairs, News and Analysis 32
I The Intelligence Cell 3