Medals

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by partyr, Oct 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been reading a story about a REME senior who got redundancy 72 hours prior to qualifying for his full pension. Bastards, I know. Now I've only been out for a couple of years, but this chap sent his medals back to the PM in disgust, I know some of them but can someone name the one on its oen and the one with an Althea clasp.

Attached Files:

2. [WAHSHIELD] the one on its own is the Queens' Diamond Jubilee Medal. ALTHEA is awarded for service in Bosnia from December 2004 onwards [/WAHSHIELD]

3. At the risk of falling in to a wah pit, the one on it's own is the Queens Diamond Jubilee Medal and the Althea one is the EUFOR Op Althea medal

4. Sent his miniatures back, that'll learn 'em.

5. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

That's a shame - he could have auctioned them off instead.

A letter of disgust to the PM, coupled together with his LSGC citation and his FULL SIZE rack might have fetched quite a bit. Despite being (******* unpolishable) cupro-nickel, the Iraq medal with clasp fetches quite a handsome figure, along with the LSGC.

Nowhere near as much as getting an IP however, poor bastard.

6. Saves on postage

7. Thanks for the replies, no wah, I hoenstly didn't know them, left before the last jubilee medal was dished. So the Althea medal is that Eurofor, UN or NATO, I was in Sarajevo in 98 and got the NATO pressed cardboard, and why Althea, thought that was a place fat expats retired to Spain.

8. Already answered.

9. European Union medal for post operational p*ss up in th Balkans, on a par with the UN Cyprus and the Nijmegan Marches medal. Although admittedly th Nijmegan one is a little harder to earn ^~

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'll have you know I had to drink hot chocolate (with whipped cream) for 6 months to get my non-article 5 and Althea medals.

• Like Like x 1
  11. No mini-marshmallows? By gad sir, that was hardship duty!

Mr. Sta-Puft Crop.JPG

12. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It may not be worth more than pressed cardboard but it is brass under the nasty plastic finish. I had a nasty watermark running across mine which I tried to polish off. I now have a very shiny brass medal.

13. You weren't there man!

14. Steady On! Those Iced coffees in the ECHOS didn't drink themselves you know