Medals

Just been reading a story about a REME senior who got redundancy 72 hours prior to qualifying for his full pension. Bastards, I know. Now I've only been out for a couple of years, but this chap sent his medals back to the PM in disgust, I know some of them but can someone name the one on its oen and the one with an Althea clasp.

Attachments

[WAHSHIELD] the one on its own is the Queens' Diamond Jubilee Medal. ALTHEA is awarded for service in Bosnia from December 2004 onwards [/WAHSHIELD]

Z

Zarathustra

At the risk of falling in to a wah pit, the one on it's own is the Queens Diamond Jubilee Medal and the Althea one is the EUFOR Op Althea medal

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
That's a shame - he could have auctioned them off instead.

A letter of disgust to the PM, coupled together with his LSGC citation and his FULL SIZE rack might have fetched quite a bit. Despite being (******* unpolishable) cupro-nickel, the Iraq medal with clasp fetches quite a handsome figure, along with the LSGC.

Nowhere near as much as getting an IP however, poor bastard.

Thanks for the replies, no wah, I hoenstly didn't know them, left before the last jubilee medal was dished. So the Althea medal is that Eurofor, UN or NATO, I was in Sarajevo in 98 and got the NATO pressed cardboard, and why Althea, thought that was a place fat expats retired to Spain.

Z

Zarathustra

Thanks for the replies, no wah, I hoenstly didn't know them, left before the last jubilee medal was dished. So the Althea medal is that Eurofor, UN or NATO, I was in Sarajevo in 98 and got the NATO pressed cardboard, and why Althea, thought that was a place fat expats retired to Spain.
Already answered.
At the risk of falling in to a wah pit, the one on it's own is the Queens Diamond Jubilee Medal and the Althea one is the EUFOR Op Althea medal

European Union medal for post operational p*ss up in th Balkans, on a par with the UN Cyprus and the Nijmegan Marches medal. Although admittedly th Nijmegan one is a little harder to earn ^~

Z

Zarathustra

European Union medal for post operational p*ss up in th Balkans, on a par with the UN Cyprus and the Nijmegan Marches medal. Although admittedly th Nijmegan one is a little harder to earn ^~
I'll have you know I had to drink hot chocolate (with whipped cream) for 6 months to get my non-article 5 and Althea medals.

I'll have you know I had to drink hot chocolate (with whipped cream) for 6 months to get my non-article 5 and Althea medals.
No mini-marshmallows? By gad sir, that was hardship duty!

Mr. Sta-Puft Crop.JPG

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It may not be worth more than pressed cardboard but it is brass under the nasty plastic finish. I had a nasty watermark running across mine which I tried to polish off. I now have a very shiny brass medal.

Steady On! Those Iced coffees in the ECHOS didn't drink themselves you know

imagesCAASNG5Z.jpg I had to drink gallons of this to earn my UNFICYP medal, wasn't easy.

imagesCACBTSRH.jpg
This stuff too.

Then there was this (photo grabbed off the web, no-one I know):

and also this (though it normally came in reused 2litre coke bottles):

I'll have you to know that I had some pretty dicey moments in Panama during Operation Safe Havens. I still have flash-backs to this day. Just me and my machete vs. the jungle.

bacardi_rum.jpg Booze It Up.JPG

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Shamus Current Affairs, News and Analysis 17
Gas Gas Gas Current Affairs, News and Analysis 32
I The Intelligence Cell 3