Medals, WW2

Evening Gents,

Just inherited these medals today from the missus's Grandfather, from looking at his photos he was a Gunner in the War. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the medals. I know the far right is a Burma Star, but the other three if anyone could let me know what they are and what they were awarded for that would be great.

They've been stuffed in their original boxes in an attic whilst the old boy slowly lost his mind and is now in full time care, along with these is also a Kukri.

Thanks in advance,

Whiskey

Nice set, whiskey: from l to r - British War Medal, 1939-45 Star, Defence Medal and Burma Star. The correct order of wear is 39-45 Star, Burma Star, Defence Medal and War Medal.

Keep the original boxes and any paperwork that came with them (there should be a list that briefly names all of WWII medals and stars, the relevant theatres and the qualifying dates).

A good example of Forgotten Army decorations, there.

R

randomgary

the above medals from left to right are

The War Medal

The 1939-1945 Star in bronze

The Defence Medal

Excellent thanks lads, I'm picking the Kukri up next week. I'll post a phot for those Kukri wizards amongst you, it's in good nick with scabbard etc. and it has a photo of what looks like a Gurka presenting it to the old Boy. Theres also a Tommy helmet and a few other bits and bobs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Zag42 Medals 34
dropshortjock Weapons, Equipment & Rations 5
Rodney2q Medals 29