Medals with Black Tie

Discussion in 'Officers' started by BORO_LAD, Nov 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right then my shield is at the ready..........

I have always worn my minatures on the left lapel when in "Black Tie Rig" however whats your opinion in purchasing one of these plastic gizmo's that sit in your top pocket and the medals are attached to it....

The reason I ask is my poor old left lapel is starting to look like a dart board with me attaching and removing said bling......

Or should I dry my eyes and carry on normal jogging...... :D

2. I think it is a good idea. Top tip: use rawl plugs on either side of the pin in order to prevent it from sliding from side-to-side.

3. Another option is to get a local tailor to put two small loops on your lapel through which the pin goes. It saves making/enlarging any holes in the lapel by the pin and may even be a conversation point at non-miniature wearing events.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Yup that is definitely the smarter and more traditional option, and should not cost a huge amount more than having the card done.

5. You wear your medals with a DJ?

I have a plastic gizmo, and use the rawplugs to stop them sliding about. The only problem I found was that sometimes of you bend over (to pick something up off the floor for example) is that the plastic gizmo can fall out your pocket and you have to pick your gongs up off the floor.

I broke my Bosnia clasp when that happened.

6. Gremlin

Yup, some functions are listed as 'Black Tie and Miniatures', hence the need.

Edited to add: It is also the correct form of dress for retired officers when others are wearing Mess Kit with medals.

7. I didn't know that. Been to a couple of Black Tie does in Officers mess' since leaving, with no gongs on. Not been mentioned.

8. Cheers Gremlin...beat me to it.
    Loops on the lapel......simple but effective....shame I did'nt think of that

9. Gremlin

It was a very common addition to bespoke dinner suits, right up until the early '70s; but as the generations that were likely to wear medals died out, so did the trend. Likewise the percentage of ex military was much lower!

10. Where exactly should the medals be worn?

11. Gremlin

Two different theories there:

and Debrett's:

Full details here however:

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Supplemental/Decorations.htm

I rather like this addendum however:

In light of current Ops, they may have to update that!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks. Will look into that. Would rather wear them on my chest than on the lapel though.

13. Gentlemen.

White tie - decorations always worn with ONE neck order only.

Black tie - as dictated on invitation NO neck orders.

14. Your welcome

Sent from my GT-S6810P using ARRSE mobile app

15. Your error...

• Like Like x 1