Medals-To engrave or not.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Chazmanra, Jun 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Engrave what?
  2. Well I know when I got my Granby medal it was already engraved around the edge with my details???????
  3. Ditto
  4. Maybe it was an ebay special?
  5. Yes a very good thing as long as you engrave 'I am a ******* mong' on it.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Ditto
  7. If it's taken you 21 years to decide to ask on an internet forum whether or not to engrave a medal, will you take 21 years to implement whatever decision you (eventually) decide to make?

Some of mine are engraved, some aren't. Do I beat myself up over it? No!
  8. I must be getting old and forgetful but I am sure that all medals come pre engraved
  9. UN, NATO, and Jubilee medals don't. Some others too.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I lost my GSM so got a replacement. Didn't bother getting it engraved. Its mine, its not for anyone else. Who cares. Doubt anyone will grab it to read it. Never worn it anyway & don't intend to.
  11. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

While we are on the subject, I have a minor medal predicament.

QDJM - I left the TA before picking mine up, apparently it was going to be forwarded on to me but this never happened. I was in the middle of moving house at the time and never bothered to chase it up. Anyway it appears that I may have accidentally joined up again (different mob this time) and I might need it. I contacted my old unit and they haven't a clue. I'm assuming it was left in a pigeon hole or something and got robbed/lost in the post/whatever.

So how does one apply for a replacement? Is it worth the hassle or should I just buy one off eBay for the eye watering sum of 14 quid? If I go down this route do I need to get it engraved? Are QDJMs engraved?

Quite frankly I'm not overly bothered but one doesn't want to be incorrectly dressed now does one?

Edited to add: Engraving question answered above. That saves some hassle.
  12. If you've never signed for it or received it then contact the medal office
  13. I lost my NDM a few years ago, Fally can I have it back now?
    • Like Like x 1