Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medals stolen!

I'm not against your position Stacker I lost my Mod 90 once, it was handed into coppers on the 14th day still with £70 in, I never said it was stolen and I offered the money to the finder. As I said, I understand your position about some soldiers claiming an item to be stolen, I also remember the idiot selling his on ebay and some other thieving cnut who was caught robbing his mates from around the block - nothing worse than a thief in the block.

My issue is that it I empathise with the friend of the OP in that he had his medals stolen, he clearly cares about them because he was upset on the night (poof), and regardless of the regs (which Archibald cleared up) when you have to pay for them it is a shame that they are marked as replacements. He's better off paying for them than claiming on his insurance as should his originals then turn up they are then owned by his insurance company.

I guess I've responded as I really don't see why one soldier would look on another soldiers troubles and not want to see it made right. Plenty of better targets out there for scathing sarcasm. Snails clearly up for it, I think she can take it.

Everyone said their MOD was stolen (who wants to be charged?)

The OP got his medals stolen which isnt good but I dont know why anyone else should be bothered to put it right. Its just an insurance job (the same as if any other item got pinched, it might be different if he had a VC and it was deliberately targeted but it was just a run of the mill theft.
You can come to an agreement with insurance companies (what do they want with medals?).

, the gentleman who handed my wallet in also refused to accept the money when offered,

I despair about some people, I really do.

scruff_2

Old-Salt
Soprano. Where in Germany were these medals stolen? Were they a full size set? I ask as about that time I found a set of minature medals in Sennelager. I reprted the find to the RMP and contacted some of the local units. I have been so busy not had time to actually take them to the RMP station. I also advertised the find on FB and as yet no-one has come forward to claim them.

I didn't, to do so would have been a stain on my honour.

I reported mine lost and the Lord did right by me and it was retuned on the day before I would have been charged, the gentleman who handed my wallet in also refused to accept the money when offered,
Are you bathed in the blood?

Very annoying experience for which I fully sympathise with the OP.

QRs for the Army say that "Where the loss is caused entirely by unavoidable circumstances arising out of the exigencies of the Service, replacement may be at public expense, but losses caused by the circumstances and accidents of private life will not be chargeable to the public."

2/51

LE
From the medal office itself...

"A replacement medal will only be issued (at a cost to the medal recipient), where the loss is completely outside the individual’s control in such instances as:

• burglary
  • street theft
  • house fire
To claim for replacement medals under these circumstances, you should provide in writing:

• details of the incident (ie. burglary, fire etc)
  • supporting contemporary evidence from the time of loss (a copy of a successful insurance claim, or a Police crime report which contains reference to the loss of the medals
If these criteria are met then the Medal Office can issue replacement medals but please note that there will still be a charge for the medals. The Medal Office will also check official records to confirm that the medals requested had been awarded to you or your relative."

Clearly states a charge will be made. What is asks for is proof the medals were stolen so they can issue a legitimate replacement, not proof so you don't have to pay. A bit pish, but in black and white.

ugly

LE
Very annoying experience for which I fully sympathise with the OP.

QRs for the Army say that "Where the loss is caused entirely by unavoidable circumstances arising out of the exigencies of the Service, replacement may be at public expense, but losses caused by the circumstances and accidents of private life will not be chargeable to the public."
Quote;
From the medal office itself...

"A replacement medal will only be issued (at a cost to the medal recipient), where the loss is completely outside the individual’s control in such instances as:

• burglary
  • street theft
  • house fire
To claim for replacement medals under these circumstances, you should provide in writing:

• details of the incident (ie. burglary, fire etc)
  • supporting contemporary evidence from the time of loss (a copy of a successful insurance claim, or a Police crime report which contains reference to the loss of the medals
If these criteria are met then the Medal Office can issue replacement medals but please note that there will still be a charge for the medals. The Medal Office will also check official records to confirm that the medals requested had been awarded to you or your relative."

Clearly states a charge will be made. What is asks for is proof the medals were stolen so they can issue a legitimate replacement, not proof so you don't have to pay. A bit pish, but in black and white.
So who is right?

... Clearly states a charge will be made. What is asks for is proof the medals were stolen so they can issue a legitimate replacement, not proof so you don't have to pay. A bit pish, but in black and white.
So who is right?
QRs envisage that an application for replacement is to be forwarded by the unit with all available information, and that it is for the CO to certify, if applicable, that the medals were lost unavoidably and entirely due to the exigencies of the service. Presumably there was no such certificate in this case.

PS - Sorry for sounding like that chap who replies to letters in Soldier!

I think the medal office should take into account why medals were lost or stolen and replacement free of charge if their was police report about it

Why? Do you expect Dixons to replace your TV if it was half inched?

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
I think the medal office should take into account why medals were lost or stolen and replacement free of charge if their was police report about it

So, you and I (as taxpayers) pay for them? Why? And of course if the Medal Office do this, then the money will come from somewhere else in the Defence budget.

Sorry, but it's pretty reasonable to ask someone to pay for replacements. It's not the owner's fault they got stolen - but it's not ours either.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
So, you and I (as taxpayers) pay for them? Why? And of course if the Medal Office do this, then the money will come from somewhere else in the Defence budget.

Sorry, but it's pretty reasonable to ask someone to pay for replacements. It's not the owner's fault they got stolen - but it's not ours either.

Cool. You're scrapping with a 12 year old.

What if a disgruntled LCpl torched the block on the basis that he was being made to pay for replacement medals that some thieving scrote had away? Thus causing the other block inhabitants to lose theirs on MOD property?

Would help if we knew what medals were stolen. I bought a JCB bucket full of hero badges both cold and real war, from Sneaky Mick, the Hannover Turk just after Easter. I might be able to help him out, but I'll have to stamp C for Cumspittle on them to show he's a runny bottom seeping man glue.
Kind regards.

i left the army in 1993,had a bad time in ireland and just wanted to forget ......and i did!!
Last year my 4 year old daughter asked if i have medals.When i got out they were in the master taillors(getting mounted to two more medals,three in total)so i never sighned for them!.So i phone btn HQ who say they dont keep medals,and i should be able to get them from medal office...Medal office says > we dont av them your btn must av them and so on...
Any advice on wot to do,i earned these medals

As stated previously, you can pay for replacements from the Medal Office and make a dubious claim on your insurance.

12 years is a bit long to expect people to hang onto gongs. Also, how many Chief Clerks have been posted into the Bn in the meantime? Is the unit even in the same barracks? I wouldn't bank on
ever seeing the originals.

Last edited:

Latest Threads