Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medals stolen!

Just recieved this letter from a mate, anyone else had a similar expierience?

Gents,
Firstly I hope this finds you all keeping well, especially you are not at 'that' age! **** a belated happy birthday to you.
But seriously, it is not often or at all I have ever had to ask for help but I now find myself in such a position, as I will now explain.
Back in April and towards the end of Easter leave, I returned to my quarter out here in Germany to discover that I had been burgled whilst I had been away. At first I thought I had got away with little or no loss as I am in the throws of packing up for my move back to the UK and I had my small valuables with me, things like TV's, PC's, DVD players etc. are too large for the scum who do things like this, so they go for small objects that can be shoved into pockets like watches, mobiles, pads etc.
It wasn't until later on when the German SOCO were doing a good look around my place, that I discovered that my medals had been taken by the little 'Turkish Shits' who had broken in. Now in the UK British military medals have a market, but in Germany and in the goat noshing community, I don't think so. The shit heads saw something shiny and grabbed it, thinking they could get some money for them.
So the next working day, down to RHQ and informed them about my loss (Note; the support I have received, top notch, no complaints at all), the admin team kicked in straight away and started the application for my replacement medals. It took away some of the pain and I admit now, I blubbed that night back in my quarter, one because my home had been invaded and secondly because those medals mean something to me.
Now here comes the kick in the teeth, a few days ago I am called back down to RHQ, they have heard back from the medal office and yes replacing them no problem. But I would be paying for them! The letter from them shows each medal priced, then the VAT and the and 'Admin Fee' added at the end of the bill! The letter also states that I had agreed to pay, I never did nor did the admin team.
The admin people checked the rules and regs on the medal office site which clearly states that under the following circumstances the 'public purse' would pay for the replacement of medals; burglary, robbery and fire and when circumstances are beyond the individuals control. When this was referred back to the medal office, they ummd and arrghed down the phone and said that information was incorrect and it shouldn't be on the site, which by the way they don't control!
Everyone from the bottom to the top (even Red tabs) couldn't believe it and do not agree with the medal office decision and lack of understanding/couldn't give a fcuk attitude.
So I have signed the docket and will have over £300 taken from my wage, yes I can claim on my insurance, but I still pay the excess which is like paying the Turkish scum for doing my place over.
With the nod from the COC, I have written to Soldier Mag, but I am not holding my breath as Soldier Mag is strictly controlled by the MoD and don't do letters like mine, only letters where they make soldiers with gripes look like twats or those who gush praise for some reason. I also got advised to contact my local MP, but that is where I have a problem and find myself asking you guys for help.
I know some of you may have contact with a MP, **** ***** springs to mind but I don't have his email and some of you ay have contact with the 'Governor' Sir ****** *******. So what I ask if you could relay this story to as many people as you can. What I hope to achieve is a change in the medal office cold attitude for things like this, it is to late for me and I will take the hit, but I am thinking of the younger lads and lasses who couldn't.
The admin fee is for postage and package, that's right the medal office turd will get me to pay them for posting the medals out to me, but they go to my unit not me and by official mail I shit you not!

spaz

LE
No I've never had a similar experience but that's probably because I wear my medals at all times, even when on leave. Once a hero, always a hero, that's what I say.

I even wear them when I'm hanging around the house waiting for the postman to arrive, naked as the day I was born, save for a loosely tied dressing gown and a glistening rack.

I hope this helps.

T

Tinman74

No I've never had a similar experience but that's probably because I wear my medals at all times, even when on leave. Once a hero, always a hero, that's what I say.

I even wear them when I'm hanging around the house waiting for the postman to arrive, naked as the day I was born, save for a loosely tied dressing gown and a glistening rack.

I hope this helps.

Mmm I take your rack is 32aa?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

The_Snail

ADC
RIP

I hope this helps.

Stop nicking my ideas.

OP have you asked @Bravo_Bravo?

Sad news Soprano... I've one point to offer, I'm sure I've read somewhere that in the event of replacements that they come with the word "copy" stamped on the back. If the medals office is making you pay for them, I would demand they are replaced like for like, otherwise you'd lose nothing by buying them from anywhere else.

If they try telling you they don't supply replacement medals without "copy" on them, they're lying as I've seen it done.

Get value for your money and demand they are replaced as originals. The thieving bureaucrats.

Isnt it a small "c" stamped on them? Its stops people repeatedly "losing" them and flogging them on Ebay. (Someone got bust for selling his originals)
The medal office is probably cheaper and better quality than the pages of the Soldier mag.

Trollage

Old-Salt
From the medals office you might be right, certainly right about quality although my NI medal was clearly made on a Friday. I stand by my point regards the replacements specifically if the regs say free but medal office says pay.

From the medals office you might be right, certainly right about quality although my NI medal was clearly made on a Friday. I stand by my point regards the replacements specifically if the regs say free but medal office says pay.

I suppose people can claim of their insurance and its a bit unfair to expect the taxpayer to cough up again.

If someone lost them, then fair enough, but if the regs say stolen should be replaced... Rules is rules, it's not for some shiny arse to arbitrarily decide he is changing them.

On the grand scheme of things, tax payer paying for some chaps stolen medals compared to, oh I don't know, the cost of the wallpaper and a grand a seat for the offices in whitehall... Just saying like.

I think stolen/lost is the same thing. Remember when losing you MOD90 was an offence? Amazing how many people claimed it was stolen.

On the grand scheme of things, people are advised to be insured. Its not the taxpayers job to compensate.

I think stolen/lost is the same thing. Remember when losing you MOD90 was an offence? Amazing how many people claimed it was stolen.

On the grand scheme of things, people are advised to be insured. Its not the taxpayers job to compensate.

That's beside the point. The regulations say they should be replaced at public expense, yet some twat says otherwise - either accept the regulations, or get them changed officially.

Sad news Soprano... I've one point to offer, I'm sure I've read somewhere that in the event of replacements that they come with the word "copy" stamped on the back. If the medals office is making you pay for them, I would demand they are replaced like for like, otherwise you'd lose nothing by buying them from anywhere else.

If they try telling you they don't supply replacement medals without "copy" on them, they're lying as I've seen it done.

Get value for your money and demand they are replaced as originals. The thieving bureaucrats.

No they are not actually, real medals the same as issued but with (R) along side the naming details to indicate replacements and they are re issued at cost, claim on your insurance for the cost of the replacements if you have insurance, which if they turn up means the insurance company would own the originals

Archie

That's beside the point. The regulations say they should be replaced at public expense, yet some twat says otherwise - either accept the regulations, or get them changed officially.

Have you got a copy of the regs?

The Veterans Agency says

Replacing campaign medals Medals for campaign service are supposed to be treasured possessions, reflecting service to one's country and awarded by The Sovereign on behalf of a grateful nation. While their market value is often only superficial (though some can be quite valuable, particularly awards for gallantry), the recipient is expected to treat them with care and be mindful of their security. In view of this, once medals are issued they become the sole responsibility of the original recipient, or his/her next of kin. They will not, therefore, be replaced by the MOD if they are lost.

The only exception to this rule is if the medals are stolen or accidentally destroyed beyond the control of the owner, for example in a house fire. In these cases the MOD may replace the medal if proof of the loss is provided in the form of a Police Report or a claim to an insurance company. A charge is made for medals that are replaced to cover the cost of manufacture and a nominal charge for administration. It should be noted that replacement medals will be stamped as such to avoid confusion with the originals should they ever be found. For those who have lost their medals in circumstances other than this, please do not apply to the MOD for replacements. In these cases it is recommended you approach a reputable licensed medal dealer, who can be found in either Yellow Pages or The Soldier magazine. In most cases you will be surprised at how reasonably priced campaign medals are. Some people have suggested that second hand medals from a commercial supplier are less original than replacements bought from the MOD.

This is not necessarily so. It should be borne in mind that the MOD does not hold vast stocks of new, un-issued medals dating back 50 years. The Royal Mint is still manufacturing medals for Second World War campaign service and supplies the medal offices in batches. Replacement medals will probably be of very recent manufacture, rather than date back to the late 1940s, so medals purchased from a commercial medal dealer may be, in fact, no more or less "original" than those supplied by the MOD.
To request the replacement of medals lost by either theft or destroyed by fire, please write to:

MOD Medal Office
Innsworth House
Imjin Barracks
Gloucester
GL3 1 HW
Email SPVA-Medals@mod.uk

They will only replace medals reported stolen backed up with a police / insurance report you still have to pay for them.

This is to stop squaddies selling their medals and claiming another set

Archie

Wrong

The MOD does not say that they will replace medals free of charge, but for a fee will replace medals where there is evidence of theft

i.e you wear your medals to a remembrance parade get pissed and lose you medals, they will not be replaced by the MOD

Archie

Thanks for clearing that. Happy with that.

You think lost/stolen is the same thing? And you relate it to your MOD90...

Your ID is an official document, the loss of which constitutes a possible (albeit small) threat to security, as such you are charged with the safekeeping of it and loss or allowing it to be stolen can be seen as equally negligent.

I see theft as entirely different to loss, the latter you are negligent. Some scrote breaking into your house and robbing your medals is no where near the same. The original poster does not come across as looking for a free meal and I suspect if he had lost his medals he would not have raised his letter. Having seen the regs as posted I'm sure he'll be happy to pay but it is a shame that they will be marked as copies.

Lastly (and I don't mean to be personal) but you come across as somewhat bitter and cynical referring to people claiming their ID was stolen, I'm sure many people did but I'd charge them just the same based on my initial point. I accept you're entitled to air your opinion on here but I was offering that if the lad who has lost his medals has to pay for something; then he should aim to have a full replacement without the copy marking, he's paying for them.

I fail to see what you're adding to the discussion beyond your somewhat dour and negative view that it's all the soldiers fault? I prefer to try and help.

Is that why losing your MOD90 is no longer a chargeable offence?

The OP might not be a thieving little scrote, but there is a case of a sgt saying he lost his medals, got bust to a tom for flogging them on ebay (then given his cpl back because he faced financial hardship).

Why would I be bitter about MOD90s being stolen, its just what everyone said because they didnt want to admit it was lost. (in one case I saw someone produce a police report that pickpockets took their purse/wallet).

I fail to see why you are making a big deal about medals, if someone had half inched his PS4 should the taxpayer buy him a new one? Theft is shit but it affects everyone not just hero veteran soldiers.

Latest Threads