Medals Stolen from Eastbourne Museum

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by oldnotbold, Jul 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Picked up on the museum development network. Apologies for poor formatting. Passed on in case anybody can help.
    Includes Sir John Hackett's medals.

Please find below a list of items stolen from the Redoubt Fortress and Military Museum, Eastbourne, on the evening of 3 July 2012. The theft is being investigated by the Sussex Police and the Crime Reference Number is EE1 055322/12

Accession no. Item description Date
    H45 Group of 4 Medals to W Robinson: 1839 - 1855
    Ghuznee 1839; Crimea, clasps Alma , Balaklava, Inkerman, Sebastopol; Turkish Crimea; Long Service and Good Conduct ( Victoria )

H87 Brass Bugle with Russian Double-Headed Eagle 1854 - 1855

H113 Russian 51st Regiment Helmet Plate 1854 (c) 1854

H135 Oblong Silver Entree Dishes with Covers made By Paul Storr from silver captured at Salamanca , Qty 1

H1190 4th Queen's Own Diamond and Enamel Tie Clip 1956

H1639 Medal Group of 12 to General Sir John Hackett 1980
    Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath Sash Badge
    Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath Breast Star
    Distinguished Service Order (George VI) and Bar
    Military Cross (George VI)
    General Service Medal 1918=1962 clasp Palestine
    Palestine 1936=1939 with MID
    1939=1945 Star
    Africa Star clasp 8th Army
    Italy Star
    France and Germany Star
    Defence
    1939=1945
    War
    Coronation 1952

H1650 Medal pair Crimea to J Whitehead 1854
    Crimea clasps Alma , Balaklava, Inkerman, Sebastopol Turkish Crimea (British Issue)

H1688
    4th Hussars ladies brooch, gold and silver with 4th Hussars cypher

H2009.50 Silver cigarette box

Unaccessioned Iraq medal

Unaccessioned Queen Elizabeth Cross

If you approached with any of these items, or have any information, please contact Mr Nigel Harvey on 01323 410300.

2. Someone's going to look good, wearing that lot on Remembrance Day.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

They do have some nice medals at the redoubt, one SA medal with every clasp which doesn't fit well in photos its so long!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

have they been stolen to order ? have other places been broken into lately? bastards.
    A few years a go we had a spate of burglaries in Masonic halls around England and they took loads of medals . Many were solid gold and the rest silver gilt . One Item of miessen was recovered from a top London retired Gangster !

I hope fervently that your medals are recovered , that's really stolen valour .
    i

5. How do you spell '****' ?

john

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chop the little shits fingers off when caught.!

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The thing is it didnt make the local news and I only live 2 miles from the Redoubt!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sad but true 'shit media' who care more about crap stories than all those chaps who gave their lives for those Gongs.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not to worry instead of policing that crime we can watch our money wasted as they police the olympic torch through town. I will not be watching. I will be giving not a **** for it!

• Like Like x 1
  10. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

a tip. if you have anything like this at home or any artefacts you would hate to loose , take digital photos of them especially any blemishes . Make ID easier to assist recovery.

11. Calm down, dear. At least two (and probably all three) of the recipients survived their time in the Army.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Not trying to be witty, but when did edge inscriptions become the norm? Older medals, I would presume, would be more attractive to thieves, either because of the difficulty in identifying the owner or simply the composition of the metal.

13. oh fook - not Normans Bay !

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If only the star is a good pub try inland instead of east

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

15. Stone Cross ? - -or dare I Say Hailsham ?