Medals on Remembrance Sunday

As an ex serving soldier I attend my local church every Remembrance Sunday. I am told by many ex serviceman that I should wear my medals. Now I know that full size medals should be worn on a lounge suit but is anyone going to complain if I wear miniatures?

When you turn up, have a look at what everybody else is wearing and you will see more medals and collections in all shapes and sizes. Whatever you have and feel appropriate is what you where.

Now on the other hand Dalit Jim and myself like to bling up on RS, so i wear my US stuff along side my UK bits and bobs, as both my Grandad and dad had a fair few (both winning the VC like you do) i put them on the RHS.

Dalit on the other hand as a wannabe civvy wears is many and varied Mcmeal Toys supergluded to his flasher mac. Which can be a problem given that he thinks he is out flashing a lot of the time, not that dead birds fall out of nests, but i am sure you get my drift.

Houseman

Old-Salt
As an ex serving soldier I attend my local church every Remembrance Sunday. I am told by many ex serviceman that I should wear my medals. Now I know that full size medals should be worn on a lounge suit but is anyone going to complain if I wear miniatures?
I am and if you insist on wearing your miniatures I will write to the Queen and get you struck off from being an ex-serviceman. So there.

My biggest pet hate is when un-invited individuals want to put their mits all over them, freek off I say its taken me ages to polish them and touching them or anyones hard earned medals is a no no...

Don't be upset when leary middle aged RAF ******* try to walt you out in front of their mates by asking what your gongs are for

Gen dit

Hell, mine have been in a presentation frame on the wall for the past 12 years. May get some replacements made up.
Then I can look like a walt :)
When I left in 2000 I thought three medals was a respectable amount to earn in 12 years. Certainly more than ay of my early bosses ever had.
Then I see Facebook pics of my mates who stayed the full course. 10+ Medals woud have been unthinkable 20 years back!

as both my Grandad and dad had a fair few (both winning the VC like you do) i put them on the RHS[/QUOTE

So that would make you the son of either:
W. la T. Congreve 12 March 1891 – 20 July 1916

J.E. Gough 25 October 1871 – 22 February 1915

Hon. F.H.S. Roberts 8 January 1872 – 17 December 1899

How old are you 98 ,99, 115 or 12 years old

And why would you put grandads medals on to attend the chelsea flower show

When you turn up, have a look at what everybody else is wearing and you will see more medals and collections in all shapes and sizes. Whatever you have and feel appropriate is what you where.

Now on the other hand Dalit Jim and myself like to bling up on RS, so i wear my US stuff along side my UK bits and bobs, as both my Grandad and dad had a fair few (both winning the VC like you do) i put them on the RHS.

Dalit on the other hand as a wannabe civvy wears is many and varied Mcmeal Toys supergluded to his flasher mac. Which can be a problem given that he thinks he is out flashing a lot of the time, not that dead birds fall out of nests, but i am sure you get my drift.
So Jim was right and you're a liar then?

Don't be upset when leary middle aged RAF ******* try to walt you out in front of their mates by asking what your gongs are for

Gen dit

Or in my case a leery middle aged STAB. Two clasps on me GSM. Smirking at me as he says it, "your extra clasp should be on your ACSM. You've obviously not done your homework mate". Aye, dead on thinks me as I eye up his solitary Jubilee gong.

To the OP, as mentioned before, if you've been awarded it, wear what you want. My two youngsters aren't even old enough for cadets and they'll be rocking up in my old minatures on their coats. The little walts.

I am told by many ex serviceman that I should wear my medals.
Unless these guys are your service contemporaries, that would be professional-ex-servicemen-speak for "We don't believe you if you don't wear them".
Did anyone mention blazer and beret? :-D

Do whatever you feel right with.

It would be worth wearing them, if only to make a whole load of them jealous.

X59

LE
Unless these guys are your service contemporaries, that would be professional-ex-servicemen-speak for "We don't believe you if you don't wear them".
Did anyone mention blazer and beret? :-D

Do whatever you feel right with.

It would be worth wearing them, if only to make a whole load of them jealous.

Which of course, is the whole point of Remembrance.

While being association branch standard bearer at the opening of Garden of Remembrance in Edinburgh the past few years I never wore mine, as I haven't got a clue where they have gone and can't be arrsed getting new ones. I wasn't the only one alongside the auld fellas that wasn't wearing them. So, as others have said, wear, or not, what you want.

Latest Threads