Medals on Rememberance Sunday

Hi
I am new to this site and wondered if someone could help me- my Father served with the British Army for 39 years and unfortunately I lost him this year but would like to wear his medals at the Rememberance Service I will be attending in Leicester.

I am aware that servicemen can wear them on their no 2's on the right side but not sure how it works for civvys?

Thanking in advance!

I think CQMS' avatar is more disturbing.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Taz_786 said:
1_reeper said:
I'm no expert on the matter but i think you can wear them on the right hand side in civvies :?
Interesting avatar you've got there...
It's only a Celtic Cross mate. Yes I know that these guys have appropriated it in their logo, but hopefully the fact that their one is the inverse of 1_reeper's version means that they're not connected.

need some advice people,daughter is to lay the wreath at the rememberance parade for her army cadet det her acf is affiliated to my ex regiment is it waltish to go and support her and pay my respects in beret,blazer,shirt and regimental tie if i am not parading with the RBL, she comes from 3 generations of my family that have served in the forces and am thrilled to see her wear the hackle :D

hepburn85 said:
Hi
I am new to this site and wondered if someone could help me- my Father served with the British Army for 39 years and unfortunately I lost him this year but would like to wear his medals at the Rememberance Service I will be attending in Leicester.

I am aware that servicemen can wear them on their no 2's on the right side but not sure how it works for civvys?

Thanking in advance!
Wear your father's medals with great pride, I'm sure he's proud of you too.

Markintime said:
hepburn85 said:
Hi

Thanking in advance!
Wear your father's medals with great pride, I'm sure he's proud of you too.
Hep, what Markintime said. But look smart, press your kit and FFS, polish the gongs and your shoes.

I thought that the wearing of a relative's medals on the right was restricted to those medals of someone KIA and that of a father/husband/son?

If not, what's the limit? Can I wear my deceased father's, grandfather's, 2 x great-uncles and one great-great-uncle's? (Not that I have any desire to do so you understand).

bustersboy said:
need some advice people,daughter is to lay the wreath at the rememberance parade for her army cadet det her acf is affiliated to my ex regiment is it waltish to go and support her and pay my respects in beret,blazer,shirt and regimental tie if i am not parading with the RBL, she comes from 3 generations of my family that have served in the forces and am thrilled to see her wear the hackle :D
I never parade with the RBL because the old fart in charge is a prick . I do however wear Regimental tie and medals and walk to the church with my 87 year old father in law to pay respects to all those no longer with us. If you served and wish to pay your respects then wear it with pride.

Cpl_Clot said:
I thought that the wearing of a relative's medals on the right was restricted to those medals of someone KIA and that of a father/husband/son?

If not, what's the limit? Can I wear my deceased father's, grandfather's, 2 x great-uncles and one great-great-uncle's? (Not that I have any desire to do so you understand).
There are no "rules" about wearing of relatives medals as such, just custom and practice. It seems to have started with wives and children wearing KIA relatives medals, although latterly it seems to have expanded to include relatives who have died in normal circumstances...

At the end of the day, as long as the individual is wearing the medals for a specific reason that they can defend then OK (e.g "Grandad was always on parade, and he died this year...(done ONCE!)) , however turning up with a random collection of relatives medals strikes me of Waltishness..

If you go around wearing other folks medals, you should be prepared to defend yourself with a strong argument - otherwise don't wear them.

A civilian can wear a close relative's medals on the right side. Howeve, a serving person can only wear their own (and that includes the TA)

sjb615 said:
A civilian can wear a close relative's medals on the right side. Howeve, a serving person can only wear their own (and that includes the TA)
Also agree completely with HE117 ... dusting off 3-generations' worth, including Great-Uncle Harry's from WW1, is NOT a good idea.

As per my local RBL HandBook:

"The medals awarded to a deceased ex-Service man or woman may be worn on the right breast by a near relative"

KIA is not relevant.

[quote="dorsetgeorge"

I never parade with the RBL because the old fart in charge is a prick . I do however wear Regimental tie and medals and walk to the church with my 87 year old father in law to pay respects to all those no longer with us. If you served and wish to pay your respects then wear it with pride.[/quote]

I haven't attended our local RBL Ceremony for the last 3 years. This is what turned me off.

Paraded with the rest of the blokes from the legion, along with the local Signal Regt TA and some Army and Navy Cadets. Just before the parade started the SSM from the Sig Regt came out of the legion pissed, along with a couple of women. The parade set off with the women laughing and joking while smoking fags.

Arrived (finally) at the Memorial, where the SSM then DISMISSED the parade before the wreaths had been laid. Talk about chaos. There was an officer there from the Air Cadets and he took charge of proceedings and things progressed properly.

I was ashamed to be an ex siggie. The tosser of an SSM always paraded wearing one of those NS medals you can buy if you are daft enough.

I phoned RBL HQ the next day and lodged a complaint, and altered my paying arrangements so that they are done by direct debit by HQ.

After the ceremony is over and they have all gone, I go and quietly pay my respects. Will never parade again. Rant over.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The-Daddy The Intelligence Cell 121
Shamus Current Affairs, News and Analysis 17
I The Intelligence Cell 3