Medals on basic training

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by ma55ive, May 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning gents, just after a little bit of advice. I have done a couple of tours with the TA in iraq and afghan, as such have been awarded the relevant medals.
    At present i am going on basic training later this year, and have been told i am allowed to wear my medals on passing out parade.
    The only confussion i have is do i have them mounted prior to basic or try and get them mounted whilst on basic.
    If anyone has come across this before i would be grateful for the advice.

2. You have been awarded them. Mount them now, its wrong not to.

3. Just check you get them mounted correctly. Different Regt's/Corps etc

4. Cheers, will do.... just don't want to pitch up on basic and the training staff thinking im a total ******, do not want to draw attention to the fact i was TA but on the other hand i do want to wear my medals on passing out.

5. Quite right too mate, you did the time, you earnt the medals through self sacrifice.

The TA stigma isnt as bad as it used to be, as long as you go with a willing to learn attitude you will be fine.

What are you joining?

Best of luck mate in any case.

G11

6. Wear them ffs but get them mounted first.

7. Get them worn.....

I was a PSI with the TA years ago. We had lads who joined the TA after a long time out of the Regs and they had to undergo recruit training. Those that had medals certainly wore them on their TA recruit course passing out.

8. Cheers guys, i shall get them mounted prior to basic. Im joining the REME golf_one_one later this year.

9. It was all going so well until....you mentioned REME?

10. I know but someone has to do it, thankfully i saw the light and chose not to go RMP.
    My other choice was AAC, but apparently my pulheems is not good enough

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I recall an ex Australian National serviceman Joined the RGJ in the late 70's wore his Vietnam gongs as they were issued with Brendas likeness on them!

12. Couldn't you get in via an 'S' type engagement, given you'll have more medals than some of your training staff?

13. Possibly could have, however i would prefer to do the whole package including phase 1

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It is better for you to do the whole basic training, at least there should be no gaps that appear embarrassingly later in your career. Wear your gongs with pride, at least you might get a set of No2 dress to wear them on now!

15. When I went through basic training we had an ex Guardsman who was rejoining (and becoming a dental assistant of all things) go through with us. The instructors insisted that he wear his medal on the pass off parade, partly becuase he had earnt it, partly because one of our NCO's didn't have any yet and partly because he would have been incorrectly dressed without it.
    We (the rest of the troop) were happy to have him wear it too.