Medals of the United States of America....

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by bigjarofwasps, Feb 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys,

Can anyone answer these questions for me?

1. The Armed Forces Service Medal, what kind of thing is this awarded for?

2. Has the Iraq Medal had an devices authorised for it yet?

3. The NATO medal are they still awarded without bars for US personnel?

4. Can you get the Iraq Medal & the War on Global Terror for the same tour od duty?

Cheers,

BJOW.

2. 5. Did US personal qualify for the US issue & NATO issue Kosovo medals for the same tour of duty?

3. On 2 March 1995, the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Force Management Policy) (OASD-RMP) requested that The Institute of Heraldry prepare a medal and ribbon design for the proposed Armed Forces Service Medal. This medal was to be awarded to members of the Armed Forces who participated as members of units involved in military operations of significant numbers with no foreign armed opposition or the threat of imminent hostile action. This medal is intended to meet a void in the criteria between the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal and the Humanitarian Service Medal.

b. Proposed design was forwarded by OASD-FMP to the Services and the Joint Staff. Concurrence in the establishment of the medal from the Services and the Joint Staff was received and the proposal was forwarded to the Office of Budget and Management (OMB) for issuance of an Executive Order. The medal was authorized by Executive Order 12985, dated 11 January 1996.

c. Eligibility requirements include:

(1) Service as a member of a unit participating for one or more days in the operation with the designated area of eligibility, or- -

(2) Be engaged in direct support for 30 consecutive days in the area of eligibility (or for the full period when an operation is less than 30 days duration) or for 60 nonconsecutive days provided this support involves entering the area of eligibility, or- -

(3) Participate as a regularly assigned crewmember of an aircraft flying into, out of, within, or over the area of eligibility in support of the operation.

d. The Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS), has approved award of the Armed Forces Service Medal to US Military personnel as follows: (1) In operations relating to the former Republic of Yugoslavia from 1 June 1992 to a future date. This area includes military forces deployed in operations Provide Promise, Joint Endeavor, Able Sentry, Deny Flight, Maritime Monitor, Sharp Guard and Joint Guard within the total land and air space of the former Republic of Yugoslavia, the country of Italy (including Sicily); and the waters and air space above that portion of the Adriatic Sea that lies north of forty degrees North latitude; (2) In operations: United Nations Missions in Haiti (UNMIH); US Forces Haiti (USFORHAITI) and US Support Group-Haiti (USSPTGP-Haiti) from 1 April 1995 to a date to be determined. This area includes the total land area, sea and air space defined by the following coordinates: 16-30N/71-40W; 18-00N/71-45W; along the Haitian/Dominican Republic Border to 20-00N/71-44W; 21-00N/71W; 21-25N/73-00W; 21-25N/74-00W; 20-00N/74-00W; 19-45N/75-00W; 19-00N/76-00W; 16-30N/76-00W; to 16-30N/71-40W.

No. A second tour is reflected by a GWOTEM.

They are awarded with the clasp denoting location of service, but the clasp is not authorised for wear.

OIF and GWOT, yes. OIF and GWOTEM, no.

I honestly don't know. My initial thought is yes, it is possible. It seems that the Kosovo Campaign Medal is limited in dates of eligibility.

NTM

4. Cheers CT think I`ve got my head round this.

Humour me for a second...

PFC X, does a tour of Iraq with his National Guard Unit- so gets the OIF Medal & GWOT Medal for the same tour. He comes home, then a year later he does another tour, but this time he gets the GWTEM. Is that the crack?

Sgt Y does a tour of Bosnia, thus gets the Nato FRY Medal & the AFSM?

Cpl Z does a tour of Kosovo (during the right dates & gets), thus gets Nato Kosovo, US Kosovo & AFSM Medal.

Is that about the size of it?

5. Amongst others. There will also be things like a device for the AFRM symbolising a second mobilisation, and the Overseas Service Ribbon assuming that he did a complete tour as opposed to simply meeting minimum requirements.

Basically, OIF and OEF (Afghanistan) can only be awarded once. You can get OIF/OEF or GWOTEM for the the same tour, but not both. I was awarded GWOTEM originally, then had it 'converted' to OIF which means that my GWOTEM ribbons are now surplus unless I go back to Iraq.

Seems reasonable.

I would need to verify that one: My initial thought is 'yes', but as there's a campaign medal for Kosovo, it might be instead of AFSM.

NTM

6. So is it fair to say that for a first Op tour, an individual will always get at least 2 medals and possibly extras for any exemplary performance?

7. Yes, that would be a reasonable assumption. Some of the 'extras' will not be performance based, but just provide greater details such as "Served complete tour" or "Was a mobilised reservist at the time"

NTM

8. No wonder they've all got more medals than chest. I'm happy to stick with the British idea that 'over issue' may look good, but lower the value of each individual medal.

I mean we look at a British soldier with a single rack and are quietly impressed. But we look at an American with a chest full and wonder how many times he took his swimming test. It may not be justified, but we do know that they get them thrown at them in comparison to other forces.

9. We've been over this before. It's a difference in philosophy. Ultimately, the US Army has chosen to 'wear your CV on your chest', whereas if you want to know what a British soldier has been up to, you have to ask him. Interestingly, the only Swimming Test I've taken while in the US Army has been for a German award.

NTM

10. depends on the medals. I've seen ARCOM's and AAM's handed out like candy. One of our LT's got one for carrying his own radio! We all laughed a long time about that one.

11. You're kidding. That's the citation? Does he wear it?

NTM

12. 'PFC Budd Weiser on completion of basic training';

[​IMG]

13. That must a bite.

Mind you, I was seeing a girl from the USAF, on Monday mornings she had to wear her blues hat, skirt, patent shoes (polishing is a bit difficult for techs) and her blouse.
    She had rows and rows of ribbons on it, oak leaf citations on some of them, she had more gongs than 16 Bde.
    The only TDY place she'd been was Turkey (Incirlik), bed, showers, beer, all the comforts....and she got two medals and a citation out of it!!!!

14. Here is an article from last weeks Army Times that announces changes to Army decorations/awards chnages. The Army Service Ribbon can be awarded to overseas service including OIF and OEF in addition to the service medals for each.

Sweeping changes
    -
    Posted : February 05, 2007

The long-anticipated revision of the Army’s military awards regulation, AR 600-8-22, includes more than 100 policy and procedural changes, including the establishment of new ribbons, awards and badges. Here are some of the major changes:

• Medal of Honor. The Army Adjutant General is authorized to issue display medals to designated government agencies and civilian institutions for public viewing.

• Legion of Merit. Processing is streamlined by eliminating a requirement for the award certificate to have an overprinted signature of the secretary of the Army.

• Soldier’s Medal. Eligibility criteria is expanded to members of the reserve components who are not in a duty status at the time of the heroic act.

• Bronze Star. As required by a law passed by Congress in 1995, the award is limited to service members who are receiving imminent-danger pay.

• Purple Heart. Award is restricted to members of the armed forces. A new award called the Defense of Freedom Medal was created for Defense Department civilians following the Sept. 11 attacks on the Pentagon and World Trade Center.

• Meritorious Service Medal. Commanders in the ranks of brigadier general and above are authorized to award it.

• Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, GWOT Service Medal and the Korea Defense Service Medal. These are established. Campaign medals for Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq are authorized.

• Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for Southwest Asia. Termination dates are set at Feb. 15, 1997, for Operation Vigilant Sentinel; Dec. 22, 1998, for operations Desert Thunder and Desert Fox, and March 18, 2003, for operations Southern Watch, Maritime Intercept, Northern Watch and Desert Spring.

• Southwest Asia Service Medal. Termination date set at Nov. 30, 1995.

• Armed Forces Service Medal is established for operations in support of friendly foreign nations, the United Nations and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. Operations approved include Joint Endeavor (beginning in November 1995), Able Sentry, Deny Flight, Provide Comfort, Joint Guard and Joint Forge, and the peacekeeping missions in Haiti that ended in January 2000.

• Armed Forces Reserve Medal. An “M” device is established for reservists who are authorized to wear the medal and who are called to duty, or who volunteer, for specific operations or contingencies designated by the secretary of defense. Hourglass devices of bronze, silver and gold are authorized to denote each 10-year period of reserve service.

• Overseas Service Ribbon. A policy is eliminated that previously restricted the award when another campaign or service medal is awarded.

• Sea Duty Ribbon. Established for Army mariners. The ribbon may be awarded retroactively to qualified soldiers for service after Aug. 1, 1952.

• Gold Star Lapel Pin. Wear is authorized for the next of kin of soldiers who are killed in international terrorist attacks on March 28, 1973, and later. Originally established for the surviving kin of soldiers killed during World Wars I and II, this decoration consists of a gold star on a purple circular background, bordered in gold and surrounded by gold laurel leaves.

• Army Superior Unit Award. Wear is authorized for units that distinguish themselves while conducting humanitarian missions of 30 days or more.

• Combat Infantryman Badge and Combat Medical Badge. A fourth qualifying period, War on Terrorism, is established. The Vietnam Era qualifying period officially terminated March 10, 1995, which means separate awards are authorized for soldiers who meet award requirements for the war on terrorism.

Combat Infantryman Badge criteria is expanded to Special Forces soldiers in the ranks of colonel and below. The policy is retroactive to Dec. 20, 1989 (invasion of Panama), and includes the first Persian Gulf War, and operations in Somalia, Afghanistan and Iraq.

The Combat Medical Badge is authorized for Special Forces soldiers holding military occupational specialty 18D (special operations medical sergeant), and other medical personnel assigned to ground combat units at the brigade level and lower.

• Combat Action Badge. Wear is authorized for soldiers who engage, or who are engaged, by the enemy, but who do not qualify for the Combat Infantryman Badge or Combat Medical Badge. Award authority is retroactive to Sept. 11, 2001.

• NATO Medal is established for U.S. military and civilian personnel who have participated in North Atlantic Treaty Organization missions beginning with the Balkan operations of the mid-1990s. Qualifying operations include NATO missions in Afghanistan.

• Kuwait Liberation Medal, a government of Kuwait award, is authorized for U.S. military members who participated in the first Gulf War (Aug. 2, 1990-Aug. 31, 1993).

• Republic of Korea War Service Medal. This government of South Korea award is authorized for U.S. service members who participated in the Korean War (June 25, 1950-July 27, 1953).

• Humanitarian Service Medal. A listing of operations that qualify is updated.

To view an electronic version of the new regulation, access http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r600_8_22.pdf.

15. Cheers CT, thats very helpful thanks.