Medals. mounting, order etc

Ladies and Gents,

Having a mare sorting out mess kit for function next Week(Been away from mess life for a couple of years)

I Am trying to sort out the order for the following medals

1. NI (89)
2.Gulf (90-91)
3. UN Bos (93,95)
4. Nato BOS(98-99)
5. Nato Kos (2000)
6. Queen Jubilee
7. OSM Afghanistan (2001-2002)
8. Gulf 2 (Telic)
9. LSGC.

I Thought it was 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,6 AND 9 is that correct ? Any help would be appreciated.

Simple rule for most serving soldiers is:

Galantry Medals
Campain Medels in Order of Date
Jubilee Medals
LSGC and TA Efficiency Medals

So for you its:

1. NI (1989)
2. Gulf 1 (1990-91)
3. UN Bosnia (1993,95)
4. Nato Bosnia (1998-99)
5. Nato Kosavo (2000)
6. OSM Afghanistan (2001-2002)
7. Gulf 2 (2003)
8. Queen Jubilee
9. LSGC.

For the full SP visit:

http://www.cabinet-office.gov.uk/ceremonial/index/orderofwear.htm

I think this one may have been answered before, however...

Remembrance is coming up and its time to dust out the NO2's, ive just put them in to get Medals mounted and funny enough the tailor doesnt know the correct order.

Ive got a jumble of GSMS, NATO, UN etc etc

Whats the rule of thumb in what order they have to be mounted ?

I always heard GSM's go first, but what after that ?

Many thanks in anticipation

sandy_boots said:
Campaign Medals in date order - GSM does not go first unless it's the first one you got

Then Jubilee medals

Then LSGC[/quote

Ah The Jubilee medal, rationed by each arm of service to the quota allocated, funny priority in my view. :roll:

No harm to any one awarded it, sorry Brother :D

polyglory said:

Ah The Jubilee medal, rationed by each arm of service to the quota allocated, funny priority in my view. :roll:

No harm to any one awarded it, sorry Brother :D
Dont worry mate, yes I have been awarded it, doesnt mean that it ever actually arrived :evil:

As you say it has been asked before! and probably will again!

Give this to your tailer, since he should know:

Mat.Regs.Vol 3 Pam 10 - Clothing - Instructions for the Wearing of the Insignia of Orders, Decorations and Medals

SECTION 5 - ORDER OF WEARING ORDERS, DECORATIONS AND MEDALS

AUTHORITY

501. The following list shows the order in which Orders, Decorations and Medals should be worn, the authority for which is vested in the Central Chancery of the Orders of Knighthood.

ORDER OF WEARING

502. The Victoria Cross and The George Cross:

VC, GC

503. British Orders - Notes 1 and 2:

KG, KT, GCB, OM, GCMG, GCVO, GBE, CH, KCB/DCB, KCMG/DCMG, KCVO/DCVO, KBE/DBE, CB, CMG, CVO, CBE, DSO, LVO, OBE, MVO, MBE

504. British Decorations - Note 1:

CGC, RRC, DSC, MC, DFC, AFC, ARRC, Order of St John

505. British Medals for Gallantry and Distinguished Service - Note 1:

DCM, CGM, CGM(F)] - N0te 3 , GM [DSM, MM, DFM, AFM] - Note 3, QGM, QVRM, RVM [BEM] - Note 3

506. British Operational Service Medals, United Nations Medal and Medals of other recognised international organisations: (e.g. NATO)

In order of date of qualification

507. Coronation and Jubilee Medals:

508. Long Service and Efficiency Awards:

Meritorious Service Medal

Accumulated Campaign Service Medal

Regular Forces LS & GCMedals(Army, RN, RAF, UDR/R IRISH (Home Service)

[ERD] - Note 5. TD, RD - Notes 5 and 6

RNR LS & GC Medal, RFR LS & GC Medal, RNXS Medal

AE, VRSM, [UD] - Note 6. Efficiency Medal (Territorial), Northern Ireland Home Service Medal

Queen?s Medals for Champion Shots

Cadet Forces Medal

Rhodesia Medal

509. Commonwealth Orders, Decorations and Medals Instituted by The Sovereign:

510. Commonwealth Orders, Decorations and Medals instituted since 1949 otherwise than by The Sovereign (including those of the States of Malaysia and the State of Brunei):

511. Foreign Orders, Decorations and Medals:

Foreign Orders

Foreign Decorations In order of date of qualification

ForeignMedals

NOTES:

1. The abbreviations listed are the authorised post-nominal letters, which are placed after recipients? names in the same order.

2. Persons subsequently appointed to a higher class of the same division (Military or Civil) of a British Order wear the badge and ribbon and use the post-nominals of the higher class (e.g. GBE precedes KBE, likewise KBE precedes CBE). If a holder of a lower class is promoted to a higher class in the other division, he may continue to wear the badge and ribbon of the honour first received but may only use the post-nominals relating to the higher class.

3. No further awards made after September 1993.

4. No further awards made after New Year Honours 1993.

5. No further awards made after April 1967.

6. No further awards made after June 1992.
As you say - doesnt matter if UK medal or UN/NATO its just the order they were awarded to you. No two persons medal order need be the same, that is unless they have always served together, which can be the case in some units.

The full order is:
1. Gallantry medals, VC, GC, MC, MM, etc
2. Honours, OBE, MBE, CBE, KCMG, etc
3. Campaign medals in order awarded. UN medals, NATO medals, GSM, Gulf 1, Gulf 2, Burma star, etc.
4. Jubilee medals. Genarally golden but their may be the odd holder of the silver one out there.
5. Accumulated Campaign Service Medal(ACSM).
6. LSGC

Note on ACSM:

At present only campaign service, ie that which merits the award of GSM (or bar to GSM) counts for ACSM eg, NI, Kurd-herding, Gulf 1 after the war ended and a couple of other oddballs. However I have heard that it is to be rewritten to encompass any service for which a medal was awarded, so expect a raft of ACSMs to be issued to those with numbers on their NATO medals.

OK so I was slightly out, but I wasn't sad enough to have Mat Regs sitting on my computer!!!!!!

Maj_Boothroyd said:
The full order is:
1. Gallantry medals, VC, GC, MC, MM, etc
2. Honours, OBE, MBE, CBE, KCMG, etc
3. Campaign medals in order awarded. UN medals, NATO medals, GSM, Gulf 1, Gulf 2, Burma star, etc.
4. Jubilee medals. Genarally golden but their may be the odd holder of the silver one out there.
5. Accumulated Campaign Service Medal(ACSM).
6. LSGC
I find it odd that you list the Burma Star! Yes WWI then WWII medals come BEFORE current Campaign Medals. Indeed they have there own set order of wear as well, but not many serving or recently discharged would have it!

OK so I was slightly out, but I wasn't sad enough to have Mat Regs sitting on my computer!!!!!!
I'm a Military Historian! You would not believe what I have.............
All legal and above board as well!

And you will not believe how often I am asked about Medal Order!

Thanks Mike for that list.

Ill print it and laminate, make a great pressie for them

Seems you get a different message depending on which tailors you go to, but the regs are the regs and ill go with that.

Tks again

Sorry to those who think this is obvious but I have been told so many different variations of how to have my medals done that I am just fed up thinking about it.

The last civvi tailor I sent them to posted them back to me in a different order. I asked advice and someone said they should be in another order. What is the correct order please?

Gulf War 1 (1991)
Gulf War 2 (2003)
Northern Ireland (1997)
Queens Jubilee
Bosnia (1999)

Looking at the chest, left to right (Sternum to left armpit).

Is it in date order, or medal seniority, or something else as mad as a fish?

Any help appreciated. Thanks :)

ps: Apologies again...I should know this :(

biffchit said:
Sorry to those who think this is obvious but I have been told so many different variations of how to have my medals done that I am just fed up thinking about it.

The last civvi tailor I sent them to posted them back to me in a different order. I asked advice and someone said they should be in another order. What is the correct order please?

Gulf War 1 (1991)
Gulf War 2 (2003)
Northern Ireland (1997)
Queens Jubilee
Bosnia (1999)

Looking at the chest, left to right (Sternum to left armpit).

Is it in date order, or medal seniority, or something else as mad as a fish?

Any help appreciated. Thanks :)

ps: Apologies again...I should know this :(
Last I heard it was order of attainment, so that'd be (sternum to armpit) GW2, Bos, NI, GW1, GJ Where's your LS and GC then? Or did you join in '90 or so?

In order:

Gulf War 1 (1991)
Northern Ireland (1997)
Bosnia (1999)
Gulf War 2 (2003)
Queens Jubilee