MEDALS, MEDALS,MEDALS......rumour rumour rumour!!!!!!

#1
Welll what can I say, everyone seems to be waiting and waiting for there Iraq medals to arrive, some have had them others not. It seems this new medal office, is over run with medals. But can some clear up this horrendous rumour, that I`ve heard!!!!! That strikes fear into the very heart. That in order to cut back on the waiting time, there just giving them out UNNAMED!!!!!!!!! Please tell me this isn`t so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
#2
I`ve heard a rumour that in order to reduce waiting times, these medals are now being issued unnamed? But I also heard that they`ve got a new machine that can name loads at once, so I really don`t know what to believe? Has anyone been issued an unnamed medal, who can confirm this? It seems a real penny pinching idea to me if it is true, and I can`t see how it would make that much of a difference to the back log either!!!!!
 
#3
bigjarofwasps said:
I`ve heard a rumour that in order to reduce waiting times, these medals are now being issued unnamed? But I also heard that they`ve got a new machine that can name loads at once, so I really don`t know what to believe? Has anyone been issued an unnamed medal, who can confirm this? It seems a real penny pinching idea to me if it is true, and I can`t see how it would make that much of a difference to the back log either!!!!!
An industrial medal engraving machine takes about 3 minutes to engrave each medal plus downtime of loading them, taking them out and checking.

It really wouldn't take that long to get them engraved and one wonders why it has taken the MOD so long to get the medals sorted in the first place! :evil:
 
#4
Tartan_Smudger said:
bigjarofwasps said:
I`ve heard a rumour that in order to reduce waiting times, these medals are now being issued unnamed? But I also heard that they`ve got a new machine that can name loads at once, so I really don`t know what to believe? Has anyone been issued an unnamed medal, who can confirm this? It seems a real penny pinching idea to me if it is true, and I can`t see how it would make that much of a difference to the back log either!!!!!
An industrial medal engraving machine takes about 3 minutes to engrave each medal plus downtime of loading them, taking them out and checking.

It really wouldn't take that long to get them engraved and one wonders why it has taken the MOD so long to get the medals sorted in the first place! :evil:
Lets not forget..an 'un-named' medal of any type isnt worth the ribbon its attached to, and therefore, anyone (walts included) can just wear one coz its the same as anyone elses, no name, so who's going to know its yours?
If its true about the names, that will be the final straw, and then ask yourself, will all the senior officers medals come un-named too?
 
#5
emptyeye said:
Tartan_Smudger said:
bigjarofwasps said:
I`ve heard a rumour that in order to reduce waiting times, these medals are now being issued unnamed? But I also heard that they`ve got a new machine that can name loads at once, so I really don`t know what to believe? Has anyone been issued an unnamed medal, who can confirm this? It seems a real penny pinching idea to me if it is true, and I can`t see how it would make that much of a difference to the back log either!!!!!
An industrial medal engraving machine takes about 3 minutes to engrave each medal plus downtime of loading them, taking them out and checking.

It really wouldn't take that long to get them engraved and one wonders why it has taken the MOD so long to get the medals sorted in the first place! :evil:
Lets not forget..an 'un-named' medal of any type isnt worth the ribbon its attached to, and therefore, anyone (walts included) can just wear one coz its the same as anyone elses, no name, so who's going to know its yours?
If its true about the names, that will be the final straw, and then ask yourself, will all the senior officers medals come un-named too?
Apart from the odd ones of course (UN etc), I was talking about UK medals that should be named
 
#6
I could have told you.... but since my CO is waiting for every fcking deployment to happen BEFORE he issues us our medals, we're waiting along time to see if our names are on them!

(he's got T1,2,3,4 and 5 medals in the safe but wont issue them until we're stood down...wnker)
 
#7
moving-target-survivor said:
I could have told you.... but since my CO is waiting for every fcking deployment to happen BEFORE he issues us our medals, we're waiting along time to see if our names are on them!

(he's got T1,2,3,4 and 5 medals in the safe but wont issue them until we're stood down...wnker)
Here hoping they are, any idea how long they been in there?
 
#8
Ahem... having received my T1 gong, I can confirm that the regimental number is no longer lased on to it. Speedier than before? Maybe... So if that was speeding up, doing away with the inscription altogether should speed the process further. Perhaps, if this is to be the case, the gong will come complete with a voucher for use with your local key cutter/shoe resoler/dodgy trophy engraver?
 
#9
rickshaw said:
Ahem... having received my T1 gong, I can confirm that the regimental number is no longer lased on to it. Speedier than before? Maybe... So if that was speeding up, doing away with the inscription altogether should speed the process further. Perhaps, if this is to be the case, the gong will come complete with a voucher for use with your local key cutter/shoe resoler/dodgy trophy engraver?
So no number but name only? and lased? not engraved?
 
#10
emptyeye said:
moving-target-survivor said:
I could have told you.... but since my CO is waiting for every fcking deployment to happen BEFORE he issues us our medals, we're waiting along time to see if our names are on them!

(he's got T1,2,3,4 and 5 medals in the safe but wont issue them until we're stood down...wnker)
Here hoping they are, any idea how long they been in there?
I gather T1 (about a year+) T2,3 (about 4 months) and T4,5 in the last few weeks......

they wont even issue them for the Rememberance Day parade past the Cenotaph (untill they're awarded by the CO)

that cant be right.
 
#11
emptyeye said:
rickshaw said:
Ahem... having received my T1 gong, I can confirm that the regimental number is no longer lased on to it. Speedier than before? Maybe... So if that was speeding up, doing away with the inscription altogether should speed the process further. Perhaps, if this is to be the case, the gong will come complete with a voucher for use with your local key cutter/shoe resoler/dodgy trophy engraver?
So no number but name only? and lased? not engraved?
Yes and yes. Appaently the "new" Medals Office invested in a 2nd laser engraving machine to cut back the back log...... and in anticpation of continued high demand?
 

cpunk

LE
Moderator
#13
Ventress said:
Mine was lazed but had all my details, which in 5 medals were the correct ones!
Mine was lazed but, amazingly, mis-spelled my regimental abbreviation. I momentarily considered sending it back but decided that would probably be the last time I ever saw it.
 
#14
After more than 2 years finally got mine. Have heard that at least two units who returned from Iraq this month have either issued all their medals or about to issue them all cos the Regiment's AG det had spend a few days at the medals office getting them sorted.

Is this going to have a knock on effect for Telic 3-5?
 
A

armadillo

Guest
#16
I sympathise with the guys who have not recieved there gong it is not pleasant wearing number twos on parade and having to explain to the old boys that you have been. These medals are not just lumps of medal but a indication of gratitude by the taxpayer that we have been through hell for their safety. Surely questions need to be raised by a politician or is Op Telic a ongoing political embarrasment?

Those of us who have been in theatre multiple times can we put a 2/3/4 on our medals? Then people would understand how much of us are going out on repeated tours or is it too embarrasing for the MOD to admit how much understaffed we are?
 
#17
armadillo said:
I sympathise with the guys who have not recieved there gong it is not pleasant wearing number twos on parade and having to explain to the old boys that you have been. These medals are not just lumps of medal but a indication of gratitude by the taxpayer that we have been through hell for their safety. Surely questions need to be raised by a politician or is Op Telic a ongoing political embarrasment?

Those of us who have been in theatre multiple times can we put a 2/3/4 on our medals? Then people would understand how much of us are going out on repeated tours or is it too embarrasing for the MOD to admit how much understaffed we are?
I've been told i m not allowed to have a numeral (which are allowed on UN and Nato medals) on the telic medal, when i actually get it, but no one could tell me why not. I'd like to know wht the score is with multiple tours and the medals. It seems to me no one knows the truth and just quotes the lateset rumour.
 
#18
I have been on three tours too been told i cant have number either No one has told me why not either
 
#19
armadillo said:
I sympathise with the guys who have not recieved there gong it is not pleasant wearing number twos on parade and having to explain to the old boys that you have been. These medals are not just lumps of medal but a indication of gratitude by the taxpayer that we have been through hell for their safety. Surely questions need to be raised by a politician or is Op Telic a ongoing political embarrasment?

Those of us who have been in theatre multiple times can we put a 2/3/4 on our medals? Then people would understand how much of us are going out on repeated tours or is it too embarrasing for the MOD to admit how much understaffed we are?
With the GSM, isn't it traditional to add a bar to the ribbon rather than issue an additional medal? If that is the case, will we see multiple bars on the TELIC medal??
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Shamus Current Affairs, News and Analysis 17
Gas Gas Gas Current Affairs, News and Analysis 32
I The Intelligence Cell 3

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top