Medals medals every were

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by thefandancer, Jul 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having read the Daily Mail dated Monday July 21, 2005 front page. There is a photo of prince Harry in his uniform sporting what appears to be a golden jubilee medal. Correct me if I,m wrong but did you not have to have 5 years service to be awarded this medal. Can any one shed any light on the fact that he with his ID card not quite dry yet has one, but I with over 17 years service don’t. Yes I can understand that having got out at my 12 year point in 1999 and rejoined a year later don’t have quite 5 years service. Medals medals every were
  2. this has already been discussed, too early in the morning for me to search for the thread though..
    If your mum was dishing out medals, dont you think you would get one?
  3. Or grandmother? ;)
  4. Just thinking, but think the criteria for the Jubilee medal allowed for accumilated service, so leaving in 1999 and rejoining a year later should not prevent the award. worth a check.
  5. Talk direct to the nice ladies in the medal office direct drop em a letter

Haven't got an address for army types but they sorted me out really sharpish

Lovely ladies

Why do you want it its for FUNK all anyways

6. Good point Gimp however as HM forces have never been overly generous in dishing out medals any genuine medal a soldier is entitled to is fair game. Is the criteria 5 years service at any time between 1952 and 2002 or did you have to be serving in 2002? If this is a medal I haven't got and I earned it I want it. Simple as that really.
  7. 5 years continuous service and must be serving at the time of award.

Its only made of chocolate anyway !!
  8. He got the bad deal with the choclate medal have you seen what Gran give to big brother ffs........

Attached Files:

9. The five year thing was only for armed services. Many other people got the gong as civvies. I would have thought that being a prince was an adequate reason. Why the fuss?
  10. The 5 year rule was not only for the Armed Forces, it applied to the civilian services also. In addition it does not have to be continuous service, simply 5 years accumulated in qualifying bodies, and be serving on the qualifying date.

Despite being one of the most junior in my police section at the time, I got it, much to the annoyance of my colleagues ( the Police has no effective rank structure, so everyone places massive importance on seniority) who did not, as I had 12 years service in the Army counting to my accumulated time.
  11. BBR, are you saying that noone in your section (other than you) had more than four and a bit years service in the police? How many in a section (scuse iggerance)?

What I was trying to say was that I think there were certain people who got the medal because of their 'worthiness' not because of their connection with any service whatsoever, civil, military or otherwise.
  12. No need for continuous service - aggregated and accumulated service was acceptable. Serving, but not AWOL or in jail(!).
  13. check out the household servants, they were all wearing the gong on their suits as well at Williams birthday bash.
  14. Sticky, my section at the time comprised about 22 (not including Sergeants) in total, and perhaps 3 others got the medal, although one of these was our permanent Gaoler, and the other 2 were real old boys both on permanent security duty. Of the 19 or so that were on the books and actually did response policing I think I was the only one who got it. This is not unusual, it was a very unpopular station, so it was made up almost entirely of officers posted there straight from training school (ie those that have no choice) and when I joined out of the Constables (as opposed to Reserve Constables) only 3 were not probationers, and out of these one was on very long term sick, another was seconded to CID and the third was only signed out a few weeks and he was an idiot.

I think at one stage my district comprised over 80% probationers. We patroled in sixes and these were frequentlty all probationers.

Bear in mind some only missed outon the medal by a matter of a few days. (ha ha)
  15. In my view it’s a matter of context. He was given the medal as a member of the royal family not as a member of the armed forces, because he clearly would not have qualified for it on the latter basis. Fair enough, that’s HM’s decision to make.

However, I would have thought it would be diplomatic if he didn’t wear it on his military uniform, since many officers who have already been commissioned didn’t get it. Perhaps he should wait five years before he wears it.