• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Medals medals every were

Having read the Daily Mail dated Monday July 21, 2005 front page. There is a photo of prince Harry in his uniform sporting what appears to be a golden jubilee medal. Correct me if I,m wrong but did you not have to have 5 years service to be awarded this medal. Can any one shed any light on the fact that he with his ID card not quite dry yet has one, but I with over 17 years service don’t. Yes I can understand that having got out at my 12 year point in 1999 and rejoined a year later don’t have quite 5 years service. Medals medals every were

thefandancer said:
Having read the Daily Mail dated Monday July 21, 2005 front page. There is a photo of prince Harry in his uniform sporting what appears to be a golden jubilee medal. Correct me if I,m wrong but did you not have to have 5 years service to be awarded this medal. Can any one shed any light on the fact that he with his ID card not quite dry yet has one, but I with over 17 years service don’t. Yes I can understand that having got out at my 12 year point in 1999 and rejoined a year later don’t have quite 5 years service. Medals medals every were
this has already been discussed, too early in the morning for me to search for the thread though..
If your mum was dishing out medals, dont you think you would get one?

thefandancer said:
Just thinking, but think the criteria for the Jubilee medal allowed for accumilated service, so leaving in 1999 and rejoining a year later should not prevent the award. worth a check.

Talk direct to the nice ladies in the medal office direct drop em a letter

Haven't got an address for army types but they sorted me out really sharpish

Lovely ladies

Why do you want it its for FUNK all anyways

Toodlepip
TheGimp

Good point Gimp however as HM forces have never been overly generous in dishing out medals any genuine medal a soldier is entitled to is fair game. Is the criteria 5 years service at any time between 1952 and 2002 or did you have to be serving in 2002? If this is a medal I haven't got and I earned it I want it. Simple as that really.

The five year thing was only for armed services. Many other people got the gong as civvies. I would have thought that being a prince was an adequate reason. Why the fuss?

The 5 year rule was not only for the Armed Forces, it applied to the civilian services also. In addition it does not have to be continuous service, simply 5 years accumulated in qualifying bodies, and be serving on the qualifying date.

Despite being one of the most junior in my police section at the time, I got it, much to the annoyance of my colleagues ( the Police has no effective rank structure, so everyone places massive importance on seniority) who did not, as I had 12 years service in the Army counting to my accumulated time.

BBR, are you saying that noone in your section (other than you) had more than four and a bit years service in the police? How many in a section (scuse iggerance)?

What I was trying to say was that I think there were certain people who got the medal because of their 'worthiness' not because of their connection with any service whatsoever, civil, military or otherwise.

buges said:
5 years continuous service and must be serving at the time of award.

Its only made of chocolate anyway !!
No need for continuous service - aggregated and accumulated service was acceptable. Serving, but not AWOL or in jail(!).

Sticky, my section at the time comprised about 22 (not including Sergeants) in total, and perhaps 3 others got the medal, although one of these was our permanent Gaoler, and the other 2 were real old boys both on permanent security duty. Of the 19 or so that were on the books and actually did response policing I think I was the only one who got it. This is not unusual, it was a very unpopular station, so it was made up almost entirely of officers posted there straight from training school (ie those that have no choice) and when I joined out of the Constables (as opposed to Reserve Constables) only 3 were not probationers, and out of these one was on very long term sick, another was seconded to CID and the third was only signed out a few weeks and he was an idiot.

I think at one stage my district comprised over 80% probationers. We patroled in sixes and these were frequentlty all probationers.

Bear in mind some only missed outon the medal by a matter of a few days. (ha ha)

The five year thing was only for armed services. Many other people got the gong as civvies. I would have thought that being a prince was an adequate reason. Why the fuss?
In my view it’s a matter of context. He was given the medal as a member of the royal family not as a member of the armed forces, because he clearly would not have qualified for it on the latter basis. Fair enough, that’s HM’s decision to make.

However, I would have thought it would be diplomatic if he didn’t wear it on his military uniform, since many officers who have already been commissioned didn’t get it. Perhaps he should wait five years before he wears it.

By that reckonning then, if you are awarded a civil medal, e.g. order of St John, then you shouldn't wear it on your uniform because it isn't military? He's got it cos his gran is the Queen and his dad will (possibly) be King. Assuming that he stays in the Army for 15 years and never goes outside the UK he will still have a chestful of non-operational gongs by the very nature of who he is. As an example, ook at Edward. If senior (to him) officers can't see past the fact they haven't got the QGJM, perhaps they should be looking at another job. At least he his doing his bit by joining up (and finishing basic) and not wasting tax payers money on sh1t programmes like Edward.
I have noticed that those who rant on about the QGJM are the ones who have it. And before anyone posts, I do have it.
Rant over

BlotBangRub said:
Sticky, my section at the time comprised about 22 (not including Sergeants) in total, and perhaps 3 others got the medal, although one of these was our permanent Gaoler, and the other 2 were real old boys both on permanent security duty. Of the 19 or so that were on the books and actually did response policing I think I was the only one who got it. This is not unusual, it was a very unpopular station, so it was made up almost entirely of officers posted there straight from training school (ie those that have no choice) and when I joined out of the Constables (as opposed to Reserve Constables) only 3 were not probationers, and out of these one was on very long term sick, another was seconded to CID and the third was only signed out a few weeks and he was an idiot.

I think at one stage my district comprised over 80% probationers. We patroled in sixes and these were frequentlty all probationers.
BBR,
Thanks for that. I stand enlightened and not a little impressed. I don't know why but I have this mistaken idea that the police have their manning world more or less under control.

oldbaldy

LE
My son in Law got one. He's a Plod Special.
I think it is still in a box in a draw. In reality as a Special when would he ever wear medals?
I think not very often.

oldbaldy said:
I think it is still in a box in a draw. In reality as a Special when would he ever wear medals?
I think not very often.
Remembrance Sunday? ...thus about as often as the majority of us.

oldbaldy

LE
stickybomb said:
oldbaldy said:
I think not very often.
Remembrance Sunday? ...thus about as often as the majority of us.
He wouldn't even do that. He'd be wearing a Hi-viz jacket stopping traffic.

Latest Threads