• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Medals in the correct Order

I am not overloaded with medals and will probably have to wait a couple of years for my Telic gong but what order are they worn in?

I only have GSM, Queen's Jubilee and Telic (no jibes please about war dodging, white feathers, etc etc).

Is there any official site that can help?

Cheers.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Try DCIs. When a medal is anounced, I'm pretty sure it gives strict guidance on its precedence relative to other Medals.

E

error_unknown

This has been discussed somewhere on the site before, but the answer was:

GSM, Iraq Medal, Jubilee Medal.

This follows the principle that you wear operational service medals in the order you get them, and that these are followed by long service and commemorative medals.

yes and this has already been done in detail on ARRSE, sorry I dont have time to find the links.

Regtl tailors should not be relied on (necessarily) to get it right.

Obviously a commercial service, but Worcestershire Medal Services have all the warrants and in my experience take great care to get it right.

edit: posted before I saw cp's reply

This comes up at least once every month or so!

Correct Order id stated in QR's & Mat Regs.

QR version is easer to read:

Queen's Regulations for Army 1975 (Amendment No 26)

ANNEX A
ABBREVIATED GUIDE TO THE ORDER IN WHICH ORDERS, DECORATIONS AND MEDALS ARE WORN

1. The Victoria Cross and the George Cross(1)

VC, GC

2. United Kingdom Orders(2)

KG, KT, GCB, OM, GCMG, GCVO, GBE, CH, KCB/DCB, KCMG/DCMG, KCVO/DCVO, KBE/DBE, CB, CMG, CVO, CBE, DSO, LVO, OBE, MVO, MBE

3. United Kingdom Decorations

CGC, RRC, DSC, MC, DFC, AFC, ARRC

4. Order of St John (all classes)

5. United Kingdom Medals for Gallantry and Distinguished Service

[DCM, CGM, CGM], GM [DSM, MM, DFM, AFM], QGM, RVM, [BEM], QVRM

6. United Kingdom Operational Service Medals, United Nations Medals and Medals of other recognised international organisations

In order of date of award

7. Coronation and Jubilee Medals

8. Long Service and Efficiency, etc Awards

Meritorious Service Medal

Accumulated Campaign Service Medal

Regular Forces LS & GC Medals(Army, RN, RAF, UDR/R IRISH (Home Service))

[ERD], TD, RD

RNR LS & GC Medal, [RFR LS & GC Medal], [RNXS Medal]

AE, VRSM, [UD], NIHSM

Queen?s Medals for Champion Shots, Cadet Forces Medal

Rhodesia Medal

9. Commonwealth Orders, Decorations and Medals Instituted by The Sovereign

10. Commonwealth Orders, Decorations and Medals instituted since 1949 otherwise than by the Sovereign (including those of the States of Malaysia and the State of Brunei)

11. Foreign Orders

Foreign Decorations (In order of date of award)

Foreign Medals

Medals of the Royal Humane Society and Medals of the Royal National Lifeboat Society

These medals are to be worn on the right breast.
Campain Medals are worn in order awarded. So if you gained your GSM before your Op Telic the order is:

GSM, Iraq (Op Telic) Medal, Queens Golden Jubilee Medal.

Unless you tell any tailor the correct dates of awards, They cannot even start to sort out para 6.

Prehaps this chart should be pinned somewhere.

Latest Threads