Medals in civvies

Planning ahead for november, is there any particular etiquette to this? Or can I just whack it on suit jacket?

I would wear minatures on a suit and full size on a coat.

Great idea S_M. The site is good but it could be a Walt's paradise - an MBE for £12 - who could resist!

Only problem with wearing full size medals on a suit jacket is the weight of the medals (unless youve only got a couple) can pull the left hand side of your jacket down a bit and makes you look like a sack of shite.

Pocket holder all well and good - unless you have your pockets stitched closed to keep them smart.

Only problem with wearing full size medals on a suit jacket is the weight of the medals (unless youve only got a couple) can pull the left hand side of your jacket down a bit and makes you look like a sack of shite.
Yes, but the only acceptable medals to wear with lounge suits/morning dress/blazers are full sized. Miniatures are only for wear with evening dress/black tie/mess dress. In the latter case if an invitation says "black tie with decorations" wear them, if not don't.

Go for one of the pocket shield jobbies (which hold the medals nice & straight & stops the pin on the medal bar from bending) & IMHO don't go near the commemorative bling. Be proud of your gongs, & remember only you know what you did to earn them!

That dilemma will not affect a goodly percentage of those who post here: no service = no awards.

sounds like the pocket shield is the way ahead, although if you are no longer serving then its up to you whether you wear miniatures or full size on a suit. I would say the 'only acceptable' line is not the case when you are able to make the decision yourself, for a number of reasons wearing full size, while being proud to wear them, is not always the best case senario.

sounds like the pocket shield is the way ahead, although if you are no longer serving then its up to you whether you wear miniatures or full size on a suit. I would say the 'only acceptable' line is not the case when you are able to make the decision yourself, for a number of reasons wearing full size, while being proud to wear them, is not always the best case senario.
IMHO I cannot envisage a situation where it would look correct or be necessary to wear miniatures on anything but evening dress in its various forms.

Still, as you say, if the OP is no longer serving he no longer needs to stick to Military regulations. For example, however, the dress code for Cavalry Sunday states "Lounge suits (not Morning dress) with medals and decorations, not miniatures".

Perhaps the OP would be best asking the person responsible for the parade what the form is, or pitching up with both sets in his pocket & sticking on whichever seems best at the time. Remembrance Sunday is, of course, not about those on parade not those who are there...

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
How about medal ribbons?

I don't know mate, that just reminds me of when I was a kid in the 1970's and every other bus conductor, school janitor, security guard and park attendant wore a set of their medal ribbons on their working uniforms. Some old boys would even stitch them on their waistcoats, suits or over-coats like Alf Garnett or that caretaker in 'Please Sir' ("I was a Desert Rat, I was!").

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ex_mudmechanic Juniors 63
Shamus Current Affairs, News and Analysis 17
I The Intelligence Cell 3