Medals Galore!

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Mr_Snakey, Feb 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The burning issue of medals is one which is sure to rattle the danglies of most Arrsers. But like me, I'm sure you're all really proud of your rack, and each rack is very personal to you.

Charity is another issue which is close to our hearts and it's fantastic to see how much is raised here for forces charities.

Below our avatar is a little rack of medals. Here's my idea. Create a batch of new virtual medals, each with its own meaning, which can be purchased for charity plus (of course) an admin cost.

Money for charity, income for the site,
    personalisation/customisation for the user.

The iron cross, for grammar nazis.

The (Arrse) NDM for cold war warriors.

The UK Civ Div LSGC for Arrsers who've been out for more than 10 years.

The Legion Etrangere for ex pats.

Can you suggest a medal and qualifying criteria as above?

Or is this a crap idea???
  2. A medal for bone posts.

You've earned one already.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bastard!
  4. To be honest if people want to give to charity then they will, regardless of virtual medals.
  5. I think the idea is funny. However theses to many blokes going for the "OSM your bone" medal....
  6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

It's a new take on quite an old idea:- The COs have previously offered up the option of a custom medal during one of the Remembrance auctions. Auntie_Stella paid a fair whack for a special custom gong in his virtual rack a few years back.
  7. Using your criteria I'd be eligible for all your tat.

I don't like lazy spelling, the odd typo is fine, there is no need for it.

I served over 10 years straight in BAOR.

I've been out over 10 years.

I now live abroad.

And guess what? I don't need any of them. Shite idea piling on unessessary admin.

And whilst I'm at it, where's my real NDM? And my Snowqueen tin?
  8. I think the iron cross (for grammar nazis) is a winner. Fiver, tenner even, the punters will lap it up.

Wings, or 'airborne medal', £10, fiver to charity. How about an exclusive Arrse armoured, household, commando, etc badge? A totemkopf waltencommando badge!

Just a thought.
  9. You wouldn't be forced to buy despite your being eligible.

Dunno how much admin involved. I imagine very little, no supplier, no P&P. Just cut, paste & bank.
  10. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Oh it's not a bad idea. Really depends on how much of a pain it is for admin to do forum wise and how time consuming it would be (if they went for it)

One for the COs.
  11. HHH

HHH LE

One definite downside would be that all the walts and throbbers would have a field day with their rack, and anybody who didn't know their past history could be fooled into believing their crap postings.
  12. Can we have a Bleeding Heart one?

It would be like the septic Purple Heart but would be awarded to those members that have shot themselves spectacularly in the foot on here or have a major tantrum like Camblecock Carrot etc.
  13. The avatar block isn't big enough for all the virtual medals I deserve, so I'll settle for for skill at drinking.
    Crossed whiskey bottles on a pissed mattress background. (To be worn on the front of boxers).
  14. I want a QDJM one