Medals for The Libya

Discussion in 'Syria, Mali, Libya, Middle East & North Africa' started by Dogbotherer, Mar 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any thoughts on how to reward service in, around and above Libya? I have, and it won't cost the Crown a penny.

The NATO Article 5 Medal is already issued to British forces in the region serving with the (largely) Naval Op Active Endeavour (OAE), but not currently permitted to be worn, mainly cos OAE is a lovely cruise in and around the Greek islands.

Simply step-up this proper NATO gong to UK campaign status for service in support of Libyan operations, and there we have it. Job done. (Oh, and it should be back-dated too, so I can get mine out of the case on the wall.)

2. Please die.

• Like Like x 1
  3. FFS the campaign hasn't even lasted a week & gongs are mentioned,

Priority people....

4. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

And it's not a NATO campaign I believe. I'm sure someone will be along soon to correct me.

5. Well said, Wedge.

It is I believe in support of a UN mandate

6. Chocolate gongs, like your post, are ****ing worthless. You're a ******** and I have so many medals I need a nigger to carry them.

7. Both of my parents and 3 rabbits are black!

8. FFS Spent 9 stinking months in Libya never got SFA and we were under siege for most of the time

9. On the 4th crusade?

10. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Medals for Libya?

Aren't they in Italy & 600 feet below the med?

Granted Marham is a bit of a shithole but come on a medal?

Even the Herc crews didn't hang round long enough to qualify for duty free

• Like Like x 1
  11. I'm totting up your claims to service and I make that at least 73 years and 3 months of service.....

12. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Tours were longer then

13. FFS Fally I thought you knew I spent the whole of the 4th Crusade in a Constantinople whorehouse, after we had sacked the place and nicked the library,
    "The Latin soldiery subjected the greatest city in Europe to an indescribable sack. For three days they murdered, raped, looted and destroyed on a scale which even the ancient Vandals and Goths would have found unbelievable. Constantinople had become a veritable museum of ancient and Byzantine art, an emporium of such incredible wealth that the Latins were astounded at the riches they found. Though the Venetians had an appreciation for the art which they discovered (they were themselves semi-Byzantines) and saved much of it, the French and others destroyed indiscriminately, halting to refresh themselves with wine, violation of nuns, and murder of Orthodox clerics. The Crusaders vented their hatred for the Greeks most spectacularly in the desecration of the greatest Church in Christendom. They smashed the silver iconostasis, the icons and the holy books of Hagia Sophia, and seated upon the patriarchal throne a whore who sang coarse songs as they drank wine from the Church's holy vessels. The estrangement of East and West, which had proceeded over the centuries, culminated in the horrible massacre that accompanied the conquest of Constantinople. The Greeks were convinced that even the Turks, had they taken the city, would not have been as cruel as the Latin Christians. The defeat of Byzantium, already in a state of decline, accelerated political degeneration so that the Byzantines eventually became an easy prey to the Turks. The Crusading movement thus resulted, ultimately, in the victory of Islam, a result which was of course the exact opposite of its original intention. According to Choniates, a prostitute was even set up on the Patriarchal throne."

Ah those were the days, when being a squaddy really had it's advantages

• Like Like x 2
  14. 'Medals for The Libya' Why the definite article before Libya? And The Libya what? Is it the same as That London?