Medals etiquette

#1
Today I saw in some election literature pushed through my door a BNP candidate in civvy dress wearing a collection of medals awarded during five years service - GSM, UNFICYP and a Queen's Golden Jubillee medal. Does this breach military etiquette? I know former soldiers are entitled to wear their medals, but you don't go around wearing them everywhere. And there are lots of former members of the armed forces now working as councillors and MPs for various different political parties, but I've never seen them wear their medals while campaigning. Any thoughts?
 
#2
sionnach said:
Today I saw in some election literature pushed through my door a BNP candidate in civvy dress wearing a collection of medals awarded during five years service - GSM, UNFICYP and a Queen's Golden Jubillee medal. Does this breach military etiquette? I know former soldiers are entitled to wear their medals, but you don't go around wearing them everywhere. And there are lots of former members of the armed forces now working as councillors and MPs for various different political parties, but I've never seen them wear their medals while campaigning. Any thoughts?
Five years? All yours 5A.

I wore my medals for Op NIMBY, didn't do us any harm.
 
P

PrinceAlbert

Guest
#3
sionnach said:
Today I saw in some election literature pushed through my door a BNP candidate in civvy dress wearing a collection of medals awarded during five years service - GSM, UNFICYP and a Queen's Golden Jubillee medal. Does this breach military etiquette? I know former soldiers are entitled to wear their medals, but you don't go around wearing them everywhere. And there are lots of former members of the armed forces now working as councillors and MPs for various different political parties, but I've never seen them wear their medals while campaigning. Any thoughts?
Why shouldn't he? As long as they're actually his I suppose.

If he wants to look a numpty mincing around in his gongs let him.
 
#4
Fcuk 5 years service he must have been spot on for the golden jubilee, or did he buy that one?

I seem to recall it was 5 years regular service on the day of the golden jubilee or 5 bounties for TA :?
 
#5
PrinceAlbert said:
sionnach said:
Today I saw in some election literature pushed through my door a BNP candidate in civvy dress wearing a collection of medals awarded during five years service - GSM, UNFICYP and a Queen's Golden Jubillee medal. Does this breach military etiquette? I know former soldiers are entitled to wear their medals, but you don't go around wearing them everywhere. And there are lots of former members of the armed forces now working as councillors and MPs for various different political parties, but I've never seen them wear their medals while campaigning. Any thoughts?
Why shouldn't he? As long as they're actually his I suppose.

If he wants to look a numpty mincing around in his gongs let him.
Truffles, I think yer man is actually after the BNP bite. Shame he met us first.....
 
P

PrinceAlbert

Guest
#6
Poacher said:
Fcuk 5 years service he must have been spot on for the golden jubilee, or did he buy that one?

I seem to recall it was 5 years regular service on the day of the golden jubilee or 5 bounties for TA :?
It was 5 years reconable service (adult) I think.
 
#7
I am outraged :roll: I know one person that had 5 years combined that got it. (TA and Regular service)
 
#8
shortarms said:
I am outraged :roll: I know one person that had 5 years combined that got it. (TA and Regular service)
Is that "your mate"? Tell us the truth, you are TA really.





<<Stands by>>
 
#9
The_Snail said:
shortarms said:
I am outraged :roll: I know one person that had 5 years combined that got it. (TA and Regular service)
Is that "your mate"? Tell us the truth, you are TA really. 8O





<<Stands by>>
There is more chance of you being a fit bird and getting on page 3 of the Scum than me being TA. :wink:
 
#11
Fallschirmjager said:
I wonder if you would have bothered posting this pointless thread if the canvasser was Labour or Conservative?
I probably would. I don't like any of them to be honest, but I don't want to get into a debate about the BNP or who is the worst or best. I've just never seen any candidate parade their medals while campaigning - or on any occasion other than a veterans parade - and wondered whether it was acceptable.
 
#12
shortarms said:
The_Snail said:
shortarms said:
I am outraged :roll: I know one person that had 5 years combined that got it. (TA and Regular service)
Is that "your mate"? Tell us the truth, you are TA really. 8O





<<Stands by>>
There is more chance of you being a fit bird and getting on page 3 of the Scum than me being TA. :wink:
I shat that one didn't I?

Nice one Falls xx
 
#13
sionnach said:
Fallschirmjager said:
I wonder if you would have bothered posting this pointless thread if the canvasser was Labour or Conservative?
I probably would. I don't like any of them to be honest, but I don't want to get into a debate about the BNP or who is the worst or best. I've just never seen any candidate parade their medals while campaigning - or on any occasion other than a veterans parade - and wondered whether it was acceptable.
If he is no longer serving then he can wear them on his dressing gown if he wants. who cares. :roll:
 
#14
sionnach said:
Fallschirmjager said:
I wonder if you would have bothered posting this pointless thread if the canvasser was Labour or Conservative?
I probably would. I don't like any of them to be honest, but I don't want to get into a debate about the BNP or who is the worst or best. I've just never seen any candidate parade their medals while campaigning - or on any occasion other than a veterans parade - and wondered whether it was acceptable.
So why didn't you just say politician? Your first post and it just happens to be about the BNP.

Military etiquette? If hes earned the medals and is now a civvie he's entitled to wear them on his pyjamas if he feels the need.
 
P

PrinceAlbert

Guest
#15
I got my gongs tattood on my chest as soon as I left the Army. It's the right thing to do. That way I can still be seen wearing them even when swimming!
 
#16
stacker1 said:
sionnach said:
Fallschirmjager said:
I wonder if you would have bothered posting this pointless thread if the canvasser was Labour or Conservative?
I probably would. I don't like any of them to be honest, but I don't want to get into a debate about the BNP or who is the worst or best. I've just never seen any candidate parade their medals while campaigning - or on any occasion other than a veterans parade - and wondered whether it was acceptable.
So why didn't you just say politician? Your first post and it just happens to be about the BNP.

Military etiquette? If hes earned the medals and is now a civvie he's entitled to wear them on his pyjamas if he feels the need.
He could always vote for me. I promise to be nice. Ish.

P.S. Shortarms, bite me xx
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Shamus Current Affairs, News and Analysis 17
Gas Gas Gas Current Affairs, News and Analysis 32
I The Intelligence Cell 3

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top