Medals but no name

I am after some help for a mate of mine. A relative on his mother's side has died and he has become the proud owner of a set of minature medals and he wants to find out more.

All he knows is that the person enlisted before WW1 into the Scots Greys, was promoted to NCO (probably SNCO) and was awarded the MM, a MiD to go along with the 1914-18 medal and a special constabluary medal of some description.

Thanks to bits of paper being lost and people having the temerity to die without leaving their estate in order, he is unable to find the details of the (distant) relative to whom these medals were awarded.

I will endevour to post a photograph of the minitures soon, but does anyone know of any way of discovering the original owner's identity (he onyl has the medal group and original regiment. He does not have name, rank, number, enlistment or discharge dates)?

Any clues or pointers gratefully received.

diplomat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Dread,

call me as I have an update on other issue you PM'd me on. Only have your old E Mail address!

Further to my initial post, my friend informs me:

WW1 soldier whose miniature medals I inherited some years back.

The soldier in question is a Scots Grey and I believe a senior NCO. I met him in Glasgow in the late 1970s and he very kindly offered to give me his medals when he passed away. They are:

* Military Medal
* 1914 Star with 5th Aug-22nd Nov bar
* War Medal
* Victory Medal with MID Oak Leaf
* WW2 Defence Medal
* Special Constabulary Medal

See also the attached photo.

I had a note of the gentleman's name and details but, since the early 1980s when sadly he did pass on, I have unfortunately mislaid them. At the time of his death, I did receive a letter stating that his medals would finally be given to his regimental museum and instead I was kindly sent his Spink's miniatures. I did write to the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards Museum last week but they said they had no medal group with an MM and Special Constabulary Medal so I am not sure where to go from here.

Any clues as to how to identify the original owner much appreciated! These are minatures so no engraving on the rim or reverse.

Have you checked out the Archive (forces), as am sure you could write a list of the names first or last of that side of the family so it could narrow the search down. Also they will be able to know who got given the medals and if they know the name or list of names then it could narrow the search i hope this helps.

Dread said:
I did write to the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards Museum last week but they said they had no medal group with an MM and Special Constabulary Medal so I am not sure where to go from here.

Surely the Constabulary would not inform the regiment that he'd won their medal, so they wouldn't know.

Have you tried writing to the Police?