Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Medals at a Funeral

It's my old mans funeral tomorrow and i am in a bit of a dilema as to do i or dont i wear my medals on my overcoat? I have been out now for 3 months after 23 years so uniform is not an option anymore and i cant seem to find any guidance on it.

It's my old mans funeral tomorrow and i am in a bit of a dilema as to do i or dont i wear my medals on my overcoat? I have been out now for 3 months after 23 years so uniform is not an option anymore and i cant seem to find any guidance on it.

Sorry for your loss.

Question comes up on here a lot in one form or another.

Consensus seems to be “you’re a civvy now, you can do what the **** you like*.”

Question is:

1. Do you want to?
2. Do you think he’d appreciate it?

* sole exception seems to be: don’t wear them at an offspring’s passing out parade as it’s upstaging them a bit, but that’s not really relevant here.

Why would you wear medals to your old man's funeral. Serious question. Is it in anyway a military event?
No mate, i just thought it might be something he would have liked. I dont really want to get into a pissing contest over it just wondered what the general thought was.

Do what you feel right. Was he a veteran? Was he proud of you? My father was National Service and then TA. I was a civi by the time he died and at his funeral I wore his TD and my own medals. At the cremation as we said goodbye I put my beret on and snapped off a crisp salute. He’d have appreciated that. (Sorry, it’s getting dusty in here)

As I said, do what you think right.

Edited to add

This being ARRSE, what size boots did he take?

Sorry about your loss.
There's an old saying 'funerals are for the living'; if you want to wear your medals, your Dad would have liked them, do it.
(You can always take them off afterwards).
Hope it goes OK.

Completely a matter of your own choice. If you have any other family; Mum, Brothers, Sisters, why not discuss it with them.

Sorry for your loss. Do what You think your Dad would appreciate. Fxck everyone else

Sorry for your loss. For what it is worth, imho, if he served and you are burying him with honours, RBL flag, medals on coffin etc, you should wear your medals, his will be on the coffin. If purely a civil funeral no regimental tie no medals.

The main thing is that you are there to see your dad off and support your family. Look after them.
Bugger protocol, look after the family. If you think they would appreciate it, or the family needs it, do it.
I‘m sure I never met the bloke, but give him a good send off. Best of luck.