Medals and Ribbons

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by legs-o-lead, Dec 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Probably the wrong forum for this question... BUT I'm going to ask it anyway...

Whilst moving house, I rediscovered some of my grandfather's medals. Two from WW1 and two from WW2. I think they are campaign medals rather than gallantry, but the ribbons have become detached.

Can anyone tell me where I can find pics of medals awarded, together with what they were for, so I can match mine up.

And before you ask, yes, it is so I can sell the beggers.
  2. Sod that mate, get em mounted along with some others from e-bay, get yourself a sandy beret and some wings/daggers etc and get out and about!

Its the latest trend, more popular than ugg boots! Everyone does it!

Edited to add: You may get slightly more sensible answers in the QM's forum!?
  3. OMG this will give the Walts a Stiffy. Another 4 medals to add to their collection !!!!!
  4. Probably these from WWI:

Attached Files:

5. ..............and these from WWII:

Attached Files:

6. What?!? No Stars? :omg: Your grand-dad must have been a dull dog indeed. :lol: Any self-respecting walt knows that for maximum bling you've got to have stars! :slow:

1914 Star

1939-45 War Star

7. Unless your grandfather was in something special your going to get about 40 quid for all the medals.
    The WW1 Pair will have his name and unit round them, WW2 unnamed

If I was you I'd keep them and add them to yours if you've got any.
    It's family history and military history at that.

in fact if you let me know his number rank & name. I will have a look to see if any of his papers survive and you could maybe find out more about the man.