Medals and Medal Policy

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Danny_Dravot, Apr 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An old favourite.

Barely an issue of King and Country goes by without individuals wanting to know what's happened to their medals, why they're not getting such and such a medal. Invariably they're answered in a trite manner by a certain Brig, usually with a pretty feeble respone.

The answer why we continually get f*cked over on medals is quite simple, just look at the senior brass!

Once you strip away the OBEs/MBEs/Queen's Jubilees, ACSMs (for cushy tours in HQNI) and other buchshee handouts, how many of the Top Brass are well decorated, ie, with more than 4-5 operational medals. Answer, not many.

I recently attended a dinner night with many senior officers present and spotted several Lt Cols and above with only QJM and/or SFOR. Speaks for itself.

Now I realise that you can't always choose your postings and that you may have been stuck at DLO, Abbey Wood, Regional Bdes etc over the last 18 yrs and may have not been able to volunteer your services when trawl time came around, but don't penalise the rest of us who were stagging on in far-off climes.

Medals mean alot to all ranks - lets get it right.

And no, Still don't have Telic medal/bar. Blair, Hoon, CDS etc you should be ashamed.
  2. No lie this. I worked in an ops room and signals were coming back from the Bde HQ (102) in Afgan asking for units to send officers to Afgan as wkprs for 1 month to qual for a medal.

Now, that is taking the pissh
  3. 4 yrs in, and no Op tour thus far; not bad/bad in this strong Operational environment - stop facking whinging.

4. Oh CH how I shall laugh! :wink:
  5. I like the fact that the Para BAND were sent to Iraq for a month on a musical tour well after the war finished so that "Jackson's band" would still get Telic medals. Normal musical tours of this kind last about 2 weeks....

Says it all really
  6. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

A number of bandsmen went 'dahn sarf' twenty three years ago, but they were doing some real work then.

Are 'we' just trying to get gongs up to impress folks these days ?
  7. Not trying to wah: 'dahn sarf'?

I'm just annoyed that I went out operationally and they get the same medal...

Edit: Haven't actually got my medal yet!
  8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

The clue is "twenty-three years ago"

9. How long you been waiting then Tubs? Only the one tour so far then.

And 'dahn sarf'; ever heard of the Falklands? :wink:
  10. Please excuse me, I was 2 at the time, just twigged where you mean :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
  11. Feck Tubs....being a soldier was all I ever wanted to be when I was a kid! I read every bit of tat I could find...............I am proud of my knowledge (not encyclopedic) what on earth did you think was being alluded to?

Whats your current affairs like?
  12. Fair enough, only one - but I wouldn't mind getting the medal for it 2 years on!
  13. Oh come on, I have been drinking - normally I am not this stupid! Sh*t drills this time I know. I apologise... :oops: :oops: :oops:
  14. Same here.......went out a second time too just to remind them. In fact, some of my colleagues like it so much that they've gone 3 times now.

Thats right not inf :wink:

OOOOh but we do patrol with them when required.
  15. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

And I have to thank my coy clk for putting .50 rds of 5.56 link into an RPG gunner when my tac drove into an ambush (well done A-W :D ). Some att arms are very good (plenty are w@nk though)