Medals and Medal Policy

An old favourite.

Barely an issue of King and Country goes by without individuals wanting to know what's happened to their medals, why they're not getting such and such a medal. Invariably they're answered in a trite manner by a certain Brig, usually with a pretty feeble respone.

The answer why we continually get f*cked over on medals is quite simple, just look at the senior brass!

Once you strip away the OBEs/MBEs/Queen's Jubilees, ACSMs (for cushy tours in HQNI) and other buchshee handouts, how many of the Top Brass are well decorated, ie, with more than 4-5 operational medals. Answer, not many.

I recently attended a dinner night with many senior officers present and spotted several Lt Cols and above with only QJM and/or SFOR. Speaks for itself.

Now I realise that you can't always choose your postings and that you may have been stuck at DLO, Abbey Wood, Regional Bdes etc over the last 18 yrs and may have not been able to volunteer your services when trawl time came around, but don't penalise the rest of us who were stagging on in far-off climes.

Medals mean alot to all ranks - lets get it right.

And no, Still don't have Telic medal/bar. Blair, Hoon, CDS etc you should be ashamed.

No lie this. I worked in an ops room and signals were coming back from the Bde HQ (102) in Afgan asking for units to send officers to Afgan as wkprs for 1 month to qual for a medal.

Now, that is taking the pissh

I like the fact that the Para BAND were sent to Iraq for a month on a musical tour well after the war finished so that "Jackson's band" would still get Telic medals. Normal musical tours of this kind last about 2 weeks....

Says it all really

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
A number of bandsmen went 'dahn sarf' twenty three years ago, but they were doing some real work then.

Are 'we' just trying to get gongs up to impress folks these days ?

Cutaway said:
A number of bandsmen went 'dahn sarf' twenty three years ago, but they were doing some real work then.

Not trying to wah: 'dahn sarf'?

I'm just annoyed that I went out operationally and they get the same medal...

Edit: Haven't actually got my medal yet!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The clue is "twenty-three years ago"

:roll:

tubbyboy said:
Cutaway said:

Not trying to wah: 'dahn sarf'?

I'm just annoyed that I went out operationally and they get the same medal...

Edit: Haven't actually got my medal yet!
How long you been waiting then Tubs? Only the one tour so far then.

And 'dahn sarf'; ever heard of the Falklands? :wink:

Feck Tubs....being a soldier was all I ever wanted to be when I was a kid! I read every bit of tat I could find...............I am proud of my knowledge (not encyclopedic) what on earth did you think was being alluded to?

Whats your current affairs like?

Letterwritingman said:
Feck Tubs....being a soldier was all I ever wanted to be when I was a kid! I read every bit of tat I could find...............I am proud of my knowledge (not encyclopedic) what on earth did you think was being alluded to?

Whats your current affairs like?
Oh come on, I have been drinking - normally I am not this stupid! Sh*t drills this time I know. I apologise... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Same here.......went out a second time too just to remind them. In fact, some of my colleagues like it so much that they've gone 3 times now.

Thats right not inf :wink:

OOOOh but we do patrol with them when required.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
And I have to thank my coy clk for putting .50 rds of 5.56 link into an RPG gunner when my tac drove into an ambush (well done A-W :D ). Some att arms are very good (plenty are w@nk though)

napier said:
And I have to thank my coy clk for putting .50 rds of 5.56 link into an RPG gunner when my tac drove into an ambush (well done A-W :D ). Some att arms are very good (plenty are w@nk though)
Hmm..you must have a very efficient company office Napier! Still, 50 rounds into one RPG gunner, how many staples does he put into your company training programmes???

If its any consolation, my unit still hasn't got anywhere near all its gongs for TELIC 1 yet, and we lost 3 chaps on the first day - because of that we were 'guaranteed' to get them by Remembrance Sunday 04. Yeh right...

Saw Jacko in rig teh other day, yup the CBE, NI, ASM and variuos balkan bits. I do not think i will get into a chat about his medals though. his Kosovo one was certainly earnt!!!!

But does anyone know what the one is that is the end of his rack - blue and possibly foreign?

Talking about 1 month tours, thats not unusual at all, used to happen a lot in NI as its such a short haul. I remember distincly the remfs popping over for mid-tour training (aka piss up) to run the bar or set up the BBQ for a month in Ballykinler. I also remember getting into male vs femail arguement about a certain female sent to Bosnia, for baltant political reasons, against her will when so amny men volunteered, to which another female harked on saying she has experience in the feild as she had her GSM, guess again luv, who do you think dished out the beer cans ?!? Always narked me that her one month equalled my 4 tours hrmph

Talking about Bos, i almost got on a short tour there as my unit all trained up didn't deploy as they removed the requirement. So my troopy brokered a deal that half the unit would deploy latched onto a field regt and swap round at R&R. Of course once over there they stayed while the rest of us on the "second shift" didn't get to go, oh with the exception of the troopy and TSM who did mange to swap round at half time, nice :roll: Before you whinge at me yes I did mange a tour, and an extended one at that

When Afganistan first kicked off and they weren't sure how long it was going to go on for there were trawls for watchkeepers. The tour lengtj for them was about 40 days, just long enough to get their medals. The people who did that should be ashamed that they got the same medal as the blokes who were out there for 4 months actually doing proper work. As for Mike Jackson, don't even go there. This is the guy who when interviewed on Panorama said in one breath that the Army wasn't overstreched and then in the next said there were some trade short falls so people are going on tour more often. Make up your mind. On Telic he went to inspect the troops. He went to see the Paras, made sure they were squared away and fcuked off. There were guys going to war with 20 rounds. When was the last time he went on tour? :!: