Medal Walt

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Books, Jun 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We have been having a discussion at work about wearing of relatives medals ( i.e fathers).
    Who's can you wear? we have a member of staff who has been spotted wearing medals at various events ( rememberance sunday etc..) so he has worn his fathers, his grandfathers and for remeberance sunday his great granfathers.

He is slightly demented and weird ( but is good at his job :lol: )

so answers please
  2. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

He could just be proud of his ancestory and if never served himself may not be aware of protocol when wearing the gongs of relatives.

I wear the shield of my great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandad Olaf the viking on my chest and stick the Army Air Corps cap badge to the front of his helmet for my local parade.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. If he wears them on the right, what's the issue?
  4. Lets keep the memory of the men who did for this country going. If he wants to wear his relatives medals and is not passing them off as his own, good on him i say
  5. Agreed, though if he's wearing them to try to look ally and not just out of respect then he should be burnt with matches.
  6. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I often wear my Grandfahers medals on Rememberance day
    Got some funny looks but he won the Iron Cross and Knights cross so I don't see why I shouldn't wear them
    Some old boys got a bit sniffy about me sewing his Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler cuff onto my jacket but like grandad I got the impression they were just gassing with their mates and meant no harm by it
    • Like Like x 4
  7. I like wearing my Uncle Dietrich's Iron Cross 1st class, especially on Holocaust Day.

Edit, Bugger T.B.S got in with the same gag before me!
  8. Fixed that for you FSJ.

No charge :p
  9. My Grandmother is Vera Lynn. I always wear her skirt and high heels on Remembrance Sunday out of respect for the work she did for the troops.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. That's quite all right!
  11. Once a para always a para .... :lol:
  12. Pictures? :lol:
  13. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Sounds more like a marine to me :lol:
  14. My grandad died in the second world war in a British POW camp, fell out of the guard tower
  15. Here, there's your coat, Taxi on the way!