Medal Walt

We have been having a discussion at work about wearing of relatives medals ( i.e fathers).
Who's can you wear? we have a member of staff who has been spotted wearing medals at various events ( rememberance sunday etc..) so he has worn his fathers, his grandfathers and for remeberance sunday his great granfathers.

He is slightly demented and weird ( but is good at his job :lol: )

so answers please

He could just be proud of his ancestory and if never served himself may not be aware of protocol when wearing the gongs of relatives.

I wear the shield of my great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandad Olaf the viking on my chest and stick the Army Air Corps cap badge to the front of his helmet for my local parade.

If he wears them on the right, what's the issue?

Lets keep the memory of the men who did for this country going. If he wants to wear his relatives medals and is not passing them off as his own, good on him i say

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
I often wear my Grandfahers medals on Rememberance day
Got some funny looks but he won the Iron Cross and Knights cross so I don't see why I shouldn't wear them
Some old boys got a bit sniffy about me sewing his Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler cuff onto my jacket but like grandad I got the impression they were just gassing with their mates and meant no harm by it

I like wearing my Uncle Dietrich's Iron Cross 1st class, especially on Holocaust Day.

Edit, Bugger T.B.S got in with the same gag before me!

Fallschirmjager said:
My Grandmother is Vera Lynn. I always wear her skirt and high heels on Remembrance Sunday out of respect for the work she did for the troops.
Once a para always a para .... :lol:

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
eodmatt said:
Fallschirmjager said:
My Grandmother is Vera Lynn. I always wear her skirt and high heels on Remembrance Sunday out of respect for the work she did for the troops.
Once a para always a para .... :lol:
Sounds more like a marine to me :lol:

Books said:
We have been having a discussion at work about wearing of relatives medals ( i.e fathers).
Who's can you wear? we have a member of staff who has been spotted wearing medals at various events ( rememberance sunday etc..) so he has worn his fathers, his grandfathers and for remeberance sunday his great granfathers.

He is slightly demented and weird ( but is good at his job :lol: )

so answers please
Doesn't seem to be much official regulation, just guidance. This from NZ seems to sum it up nicely...

Next-of-kin and other relatives of deceased servicemen and women have recently been authorised to wear their relative's medals on specific occasions and under certain circumstances. This applies to both military and civilian next-of-kin and other relatives of former New Zealand services personnel. Medals must be worn on the right breast rather than the left to differentiate between former servicemen and women and next-of-kin or other relatives. The wearing of a relative's medals is a matter of personal discretion and limited to days of remembrance. Only service medals and decorations mounted on a medal bar (full-size or miniature) can be worn by a relative; neck badges, sashes, sash badges, or breast stars cannot be worn. The occasions on which wearing of relatives medals is permitted are confined to ANZAC Day (25 April) and Remembrance Day (11 November). In addition, it may be appropriate for next-of-kin and other relatives to wear relative's medals on an occasion where either the relative's service or the unit in which they served is being commemorated.
I've always though that it's only appropriate for a close relative, eg a widow or a child of school age (ie below the age at which they could earn their own).