Medal Spot Please

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by barbs, Dec 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just seen this on a medal-mounting website, and very interested in the last medal: I can't work out what it is, any ideas?

[​IMG]

The only ribbon that I can think it may represent is the Sierra Leone Independence Medal (c.1961), but I can't imagine that someone with this classic 1990s/2000s rack could have earned it. I don't think it is bling, either.

2. ribbon wrong way round for the Sierra Leone gong.
    Not any sort of campaign gong, its too small, same size as the QGJM and of course its at the end of the rack.

3. I have been trying to identify that medal for a few months now and cannot find a reference to it in UK, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand medal guides.

4. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Suspect Commonwealth ... checking shortly

[Edit ... hit the same wall. :roll: ]

5. Ask MittMayo; he knows every medal going.

6. email the website and ask.

7. It is the Sierra Leone Independance Medal 1961.

Whether it is a genuine group or made up for an advert is another matter.

MM

8. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Sorry - what's the second to last on the right? The one with the gold central stripe?

9. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

ACSM - Accumulated Campaign Service Medal. 1080 days deployed Operational service.

10. must be made up, what the chances of someone getting a medal in 1961 and still be serving to get the Sierra Leone OSM nearly 40 years later?

11. Clearly the SL Ind Medal is a modern plated copy, the original shown below. The ribbon is the correct way round.

12. Told you!

13. There were some Sierra Leone Medals issued to the Military Training and Advisory Teams.

I do now they were issued in small numbers and not everyone got one. For that reason, many were produced in this Country and sold to those who didn't get one. I wonder if this is a case of self awarding the wrong Sierra Leone Medal??

This is the baby

14. Wrong colour ribbon then