Medal rim inscription

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by MrDragon, Oct 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A quick query for you all.

Have recently received my Telic medal. The inscription on the rim is in the format of Number Rank Name (TA) :? . No mention of my corps just (TA) after my name. I thought that it should just be my corps initials.

My unit are going to look into it but was wondering what you all had on yours. Actually, I'm quite pleased that I've got it after reading some of the reports on waiting times.
  2. jmj

jmj Old-Salt

Mine's Number Rank Name Corps (RA in my case)
    There's no TA on mine.

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Mine is No Rk Inits Surname Corps - nothing about TA.

MY Civvy version is Initials and Surname

(Yes I have got it twice - waited 19 months for the Army one, and got the Civvy one in the post within two months - and I didn't even have to apply :) )
  4. not received my Telic medal, but VRSM shows number, rank, name & Corps
  5. msr

msr LE

TELIC medal shows Rank Name and Corps (as was).

6. looks like some knob's taking the piss at the medal office.
  7. or the person that filled in the paper work... maybe not heard of the one army concept???
  8. Thanks for the replies people.

Quite a few in my unit thought it was odd. Funnily enough (or not) the one other person from my unit who was with me on the tour had theirs correctly named with the Corps after their surname and no (TA) 8O . The staff at RTMC spent enough time telling us we were no longer TA - the powers that be could at least show a bit of consistency with the medal!

Anyway, at least I've got it now!
  9. Looking to the future, make sure you keep documentary evidence of your Service - it may be worth quite a few bob to a collector.

In my 35+ years as a Reg and TA in the RAOC/RLC, I have never heard of such a cock up, for that is what it is. It may have started with some numpty in the Orderly Room incorrectly completing the paperwork. But, that paperwork should have have been checked and approved by an Officer and there are people paid in the medal office to ensure that everything is correct. I am saddened that nobody in the medal office observed the fact that there is no Regiment or Corps of the line with the official abbreviation "TA".

Give someone like Worcester Medals (see Soldier Magazine)a ring and discuss potential appreciation. If the chances of it turning in a good wedge for your grandchildren are low then kick up merry hell and insist on a medal correctly inscribed. It's your right and someone elses negligence!
  10. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

On a slight tangent to this: do those in multi cap badge regiments have their cap badge (i.e. RGJ) or composite Regt (i.e. RRV) inscribed on their medal?

Purely curiousity.
  11. If I were you, I'd keep it - Apart from the fact that it'll be worth a fortune to a collector..... it is unique!
  12. Name Rank Number Regt
  13. To be 100 per centers I would have to ask the chav fatherless who "helped himself/herself" (cuddles is an equal opportunities bigot) to my overnight bag. However I am pretty sure the form was number, rank name, regiment.
  14. Hi All,

for a Fusilier in the West Midlands Regiment it would be:

24567890 FUS. A.B.SMITH W.M.REGT.

If you are interested in knowing a little more about the "investment potential" of a wrongly named medal, ask these guys, there's several ARRSE members there. (But I'm sure you can't retire on the difference :D )

I seem to recall that an error can be returned and officially corrected, but it's probably not worth the hassle unless it really worries you.

Best Regards,

15. Mine has Rank, Name and Regt. only