Medal qualification

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Highflight, Sep 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I believe that the qualifiying period for an Op. Telic medal was 30 days continuous service and 10 trips/sorties for aircrew (this excludes the clasp qualifications which are seperate).

The qualifying period for Op Herrick medal is 30 days continuous service and 30 trips/sorties for aircrew. (Again excluding the clasp qualifications).

Can anyone tell me if I am correct with my assumptions re the qualifying periods for each Op.?

If so why is there a difference for aircrew from Telic to Herrick?
  2. Correct (ish) for Telic since 28 Apr 03 - remember it was 30 days boots in theatre or appropriate sorties / landing counts, or a varying combination of the 2. Incorrect for Herrick - see JSP 761, Ch 8, Annex A, Appendix 2. It is 30 sectors, as opposed to flights, although you'll need to ask a sky god what the difference is - for people based out of theatre.

Different theatres, different medals. Aircrew being based in different (safer or otherwise) locations. Note the much lower requirements for aircrew supporting SF work in Herrick, for example.
  3. Thanks for the reply. I suppose nothing is simple if any large bureaucracy is involved.
  4. I have to say, I have never seen anything quite as simple (do I get a campaign gong) made quite as complex as they have for the Afghan OSM. But, I'm sure, that the 1 or 2 people who wouldn't have qualified under a more simple scheme will be grateful and not making the medal for the 1 crab who misses out under the DIN will make up for all the dead trees and disturbed electrons it has caused.

Mind you, I'm still (intermittently) pissed off at failing to qualify for my GSM by 1 day and that was in 1987 ...
  5. We are a parsimonious nation when it comes to decorations, but then I suppose it could retained the GSM and just given bars for Telic and Herrick. I can quite understand your dismay at missing qualification by 1 day. Not much you can do about that.

I seem to remember the Sun newspaper carrying out a campaign regarding medics flying into Afghanistan to accompany wounded servicemen back to the UK and not qualifying for the Herrick medal. But then not much chance of that happening with the 30 trips required anyway.

The MOD stock reply was that it was under review (i.e., sweep it under the carpet, or, too differcult tray).

We shall see.