Medal protocol at Civvie weddings

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by ugly, Aug 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Now my wedding was an all civpop affair especially as I had left the year before. No one wore any gongs despite their being a slack handful of OBE's MBE's and assorted gfongs sprinkled amongst the congregation. I have however noticed a more general acceptance for those awarded the baubles to wear them in public at events. My gong usually gets aired at the reunion church service and the remembrance parade. I have seen others at official do's and private events such as weddings etc wearing them in their finery.
    This brings me round to the question. My little sister gets married this month and I am to give her away. I could wear my veterans badge but even my mum has one of those!
    Would I p!ss of my sister by wearing a miniature GSM or would they have me down as Reggie Perrins mad uncle?
    P.S. Her wedding I believe is an all civvie affair! I'lll double check!
  2. Can we see a picture of your little sister? That would help to make an informed decision.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Sadly she isnt as little as someone 10 years younger than me could be!
    I dont have a pic of her less than 10 years old but seeing how she is Cornish I suppose I should really give her the good news and keep it in the family!
  4. Essentially decorations (aka medals + other shiny bits) or not is up to the couple after discussion with the priest (if she is getting married in church).
    Ask your sister. Normally, if it is an afternoon wedding and you are wearing a lounge suit, then you would wear the full size gong rather than the minature. If you are in a morning suit, it is apparently not normal to wear medals but hell, it's your families do. Do what is going to make you lot most happy not some rule-book author.
  5. Wouldn't bother with the medals. Don't think it's appropriate, and never seen it done before.
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

This is what I thought and although I did see for some reason a TA mate get married in No2's (dont ask me why?) I thought it a valid question. Some of us with our one inch of boredom hardly wore when in uniform let alone since leaving and I have seen as stated beforesome of the public on public duties wearing gongs. I saw a registrar wearing an MBE on her lapel, miniature I might add.
    Thats a point why if morning suits are for mornings do people insist on wearing them for afternoon weddings?
  7. You mean you haven't yet and you are prepared to offer her out to some other family? Mucho generous Ugly...Although there are always some who'll carp "If she isn't good enough for her own family, she isn't good enough for ours..."!

Are you sure you haven't got some pictures??
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have but only from the age that MDN would get excited over!
    I thought Hindsight was looking at bums!
  9. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Medals at a civvy wedding would be rather odd, IMO. I would save it for Remembrance Day, reunions etc.
  10. If you wear them they will only get lost in the post wedding fisticuffs and/or covered in vom from the 2 x 13 year olds who nick some beer and vodka and then barf it all over you.
  11. Naturally proud of your medal, as you should be, mate. Nothing wrong with a bit of pride, nothing at all. However, despite women with terribly shallow values nagging at me, I don't see the need to show off.

That's my choice, and mine alone. So your choices? : they are down to you. It's your medal and has your name on it.
  12. Unless decorations are specified on the invite, then medals should not be worn in civvy rig except for remembrance parades and such.
  13. Ugly..Save the medals for Military Parades and Functions espesially if you are the only one wearing them :D Saying that, they are yours and you can wear them on your pajamas if you so wish. Have a good Wedding and all the best to your Sister
  14. Was always taught that the general rule of thumb was .. civvi wedding? NO medals unless on invite.

Save them for when in uniform as a guide.
  15. Agree that medals are inappropriate for a civilian wedding unless specifically asked. Mind you, once you've retired you'll be able to wear your veteran's badge with pride like any other former service people. Good icebreaker with the bridesmaids (or their mothers, sisters, aunts, etc. :p )